Oil Filter... W T F question

sja76

Hello! I have a 2010 CX-9 and I performing my first oil change. I think Godzilla put that oil filter on. I could not get it loose for anything. So.. I ordered this oil filter wrench and paid like $12 shipping

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oilfilterwrench.html

It DOES NOT FIT the filter on the CX-9!! It fits the replacement Motorcraft filter I bought.... but the filterstuck on the ute is taller and thinner and the wrench does not grab. So.. did they change the filter design or what? Anyone have any tips on how to get that damn thing off? Any other wrenches that work well?
Thanks

You could probably just get a generic adjustable filter wrench from any autopart store that is closest to the diameter of the factory filter. Just make sure that there is enough room to turn the filter wrench. Alternatively, you could do what I did, just put a lot of rubber bands around the filter to provide more grip and used rubber gloves and grabbed on for dear life and work that sucker loose.

The same thing happened to me on my first change and even though I had the correct size filter cap it kept slipping off and I could not budge it. I ended up using a large slip joint plier and gripped it really hard and was able to get it off. I crushed it a little to do it but I did get it to move. Now I just hand tighten the new filters so I can get them off next time. The adjustable type filter wrenches are good too but even they may slip since they are smooth on the inside of the ring.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up jamming a screwdriver through the filter then levering it off. What a pain!

You need to take 1 or 2 of those blue shop paper towels and put them on the filter and then put the filter wrench on. It will grip then.

Hello! I have a 2010 CX-9 and I performing my first oil change. I think Godzilla put that oil filter on. I could not get it loose for anything. So.. I ordered this oil filter wrench and paid like $12 shipping

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oilfilterwrench.html

It DOES NOT FIT the filter on the CX-9!! It fits the replacement Motorcraft filter I bought.... but the filterstuck on the ute is taller and thinner and the wrench does not grab. So.. did they change the filter design or what? Anyone have any tips on how to get that damn thing off? Any other wrenches that work well?
Thanks

Yes. The new filter design is shorter. Both the mazda and Ford equivalent have changed.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up jamming a screwdriver through the filter then levering it off. What a pain!

I did the same thing once on a '71 Mach 1. Damn screwdriver just tore through the metal of the filter as I tried twisting it off--would not budge! (wow)

Just confirming above reports. Did my first oil change today ('10 CX-9 GT AWD), and I too could not get factory oil filter off with the Mazda oil filter wrench. Got it off with a generic adjustable oil filter wrench, but it was screwed on tight (!). Replacement oil filter (Mazda P/N YF09-14-302A) is shorter than the factory filter, but Mazda filter wrench seems to fit it better.

^^Yep costs a little more though, but worth it if you don't want to deal with the hassle of a stuck oil filter. I also like to put some lithium grease on the rubber seal on the oil filter.

^^Yep costs a little more though, but worth it if you don't want to deal with the hassle of a stuck oil filter. I also like to put some lithium grease on the rubber seal on the oil filter.

Actually, all that needs to be done is to dip your finger in a bit of the new engine oil and apply a thin coat over the rubber seal.
I've been taught to spin the filter until it stops turning freely without any force. Hand tighten 3/4-1 revolution and its done. Should not be overly tight the next time you remove it. To be doubly sure, check the filter for leaks after a few drives.

Ford is notorious for putting the original oil filter on dry and torquing it on way too tight. Happened on 3 new fords I have had over the years. 1/10th of a cent worth of oil would have prevented crushing, driving screwdriver through or using a 18 inch 1/2 drive breaker bar to get loose - used one of these at some point.

Yep, definitely agree with helbigtw, just completed my third oil change and went with Mobil 1 filter and oil - 20 mins including Watching TV.

I think Godzilla put that oil filter on. I could not get it loose for anything.

The same thing happened to me on my first change and even though I had the correct size filter cap it kept slipping off and I could not budge it.

Just confirming above reports. Did my first oil change today ('10 CX-9 GT AWD), and I too could not get factory oil filter off with the Mazda oil filter wrench.

Are you all trying to get it off while it's still warm? Run the engine, let it heat up to operating temp, then jack up the car and try loosening the oil filter before opening the drain plug and draining the oil. Comes off easier when it's nice & hot... I haven't done my first oil change on the '11 CX-9 yet so no idea how tight this damn thing is going to be.

I might give this wrench a try:
i-RHNZrLb-L.jpg

Or you can use a K&N filter that has nut on the top for easy removal.

+1 K&N FTW. However you first have to get that original oil filter off before you can put on a K&N :p

Yep, definitely agree with helbigtw, just completed my third oil change and went with Mobil 1 filter and oil - 20 mins including Watching TV.

What's the point of a DIY oil change if you're going to rush it and do it in 20 minutes? One of the purposes of a DIY oil change is a proper drainage of the old oil. I let the oil drain out for at least an hour before putting in new oil, or I use a vac/pump to pull out as much of the old oil as possible. Might as well take it to a speedy oil change place if you're gonna drain it for 5 minutes and finish up the entire oil change in a mere 20 minutes :)

I just did mine last weekend. Both the filter and the plug were hard to get off. The filter I used a strap wrench and bore down on it. With the plug I had to use a two foot breaker bar just to loosen it! Usually my 8" long wrench takes off a plug just fine. At least the plug head was in good shape unlike when I took my other car to an oil place and they put it back on with an impact wrench. I had to take it to the dealer to get a new plug installed since it was rounded off and I couldn't get it off myself. At least the dealer only charged to price for the part and an oil change.

Back