Oil Change Question

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
My CX-5 is due for first oil change. Dealer offered lifetime free oil changes as part of the package. Found out today they use Mobil 0w-20 instead of the Mazda Moly or Castrol recommended in the manual.

If I have to use the manual-recommended oils, I have to purchase those separately and then pay to get it changed every single time. By going to the dealer, I won't pay anything for oil changes at all. The savings are considerable and adds up over time. At the same time, I love my car and intend to keep it for as long as it runs. I don't want to ruin it by using the wrong oil.

Is it OK to go with the dealer offered Mobil 0w-20 instead of the ones recommended in the manual? Is it worth the trade-off?

Also, how is it that all dealers (at least in greater Houston area) are using non-recommended oil on cars that are still under warranty?

Mazda doesn't say you have to use Castrol but that is what they recommend. I would check but I'm pretty sure the Mobil 1 0-20, which is a synthetic oil, meets the specification set by Mazda. This information should be in your owners manual. Mobil 1 0-20 is a very good product and I think especially in your warm climate your engine will be protected.

What's important is the spec, not the particular brand. That's what matters to the engine and the warranty. It would be difficult to use the 'wrong oil' and ruin your car, unless its wildly off in viscosity or you use conventional instead of synthetic and then don't change it for a long long time. The differences between the brands of same-spec oil are usually quite small and unnoticeable except to people who are into oil analysis.

I remember reading somewhere that Mazda oil has Molybdenum which is specifically designed for Skyactiv engines and is good for it in the long run. I don't remember the specifics though. Is there any truth to it?

If you're getting them at the dealership, they will put in what's required. Honestly, it's a no brainer. Get your free oil changes and then worry about the next president.

The Mazda - Castrol relationship is as much about marketing as it is about quality. Yes, Castrol is a quality oil, but there are several other quality brands, like Mobil 1.

My dealer also provides free oil changes. I guess I need to find out which type of oil they use. That would be a tough call (free vs. buying your own oil). If the moly oil gives better mpg then perhaps that's a good reason to buy your own oil.

I remember reading somewhere that Mazda oil has Molybdenum which is specifically designed for Skyactiv engines and is good for it in the long run. I don't remember the specifics though. Is there any truth to it?

Hard to say but I do think it's extra important with Skyactiv engines to insure the oil meets the spec and has not lost it's viscosity. I'm basing that on a number of things including the special, low parasitic loss oiling system that meters less oil when less oil is needed and also the low friction bearings in the rod bearings which have been reduced in size to reduce engine friction.

And that last reason is why I run the GF-5 oil with moly. Moly is considered an excellent extreme pressure lubricant and will burnish the bearing surfaces to prevent metal to metal contact under extreme conditions.

Thanks Mike.

I figured out yesterday that only the first oil change is free. That being the case I'll just pay a little bit extra each time and use the Mazda Moly itself.

I figured out yesterday that only the first oil change is free. That being the case I'll just pay a little bit extra each time and use the Mazda Moly itself.
Yeah most dealers only give you first free oil change. And most dealers will change oil for you with Mazda moly oil which is available at their parts department for the price difference between the oil they normally use and Mazda moly oil. The most economical way changing oil with Mazda moly oil, OEM filter and drain plug washer, is to get oil change kit from our sponsor Med Center Mazda and DIY. Or you can supply this kit and have the garage you trust doing the oil change for you.

You'll never know what kind of oil Mazda dealers use for "standard" oil change if you don't ask. My dealer uses a brand of cheap oil I've never heard of for "standard" oil change. Someone even said his dealer is using conventional oil. Besides, you can never tell what kind of bulk oil in their unlabeled drum.

IMO: Time will tell about the benefits of using the moly oil as more Skyactiv engines head toward six figures but from what I have read well regarded. I will have this vehicle more than likely 10+ years so just trying to give it the best possible chance of limited wear on the motor internals.

Back