2018 CX-5 NA Cylinder Deactivation HLA issue causing ticking / oil

Thanks in advance to all the great folks here. Yet another engine issue post. Have read through the long threads.

2018 w/55K miles NA 2.5 US version, non turbo.

Can anyone help with diagnosis? What would you say to the dealer to get the most help without having to pay through the nose? Is it ok to keep driving the car?
Video with sound of ticking
Oil(?) stain here, I didn't notice tons of oil around the engine, but I also didn't look super close.

It has had the TSB fixes for low oil pressure, the fix for leaking oil where the engine had to be resealed. Has had the low oil pressure light come on ~3 times since those things have been fixed despite the oil being generally fine.

I did the run engine at 2k rpm for 5 minutes 2x, no change.

Currently, oil level is at the acceptable high point on the dip stick. I just changed it with Kirkland 0W-20 and a wix filter. No oil/check engine/idiot lights currently on. Previously, I had used Mazda OEM filters with some whatever I happened to have: Kirkland, Pennzoil, Mobile, all 0W-20.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance to all the great folks here. Yet another engine issue post. Have read through the long threads.

2018 w/55K miles NA 2.5 US version, non turbo.

Can anyone help with diagnosis? What would you say to the dealer to get the most help without having to pay through the nose?
Video with sound of ticking
Oil(?) stain here, I didn't notice tons of oil around the engine, but I also didn't look super close.

It has had the TSB fixes for low oil pressure, the fix for leaking oil where the engine had to be resealed. Has had the low oil pressure light come on ~3 times since those things have been fixed despite the oil being generally fine.

Currently, oil level is at the acceptable high point on the dip stick. I just changed it with Kirkland 0W-20 and a wix filter. No oil/check engine/idiot lights currently on. Previously, I had used Mazda OEM filters with some whatever I happened to have: Kirkland, Pennzoil, Mobile, all 0W-20.
What is 'TSB fixes for low oil pressure'? I think I know all of them by heart but am not aware of anything with a name like that.

AFA as the oil leak, you can't judge anything from spots on the under cover. You will need to remove the covers and do a close examination of the engine, in order to find out where it's coming from. That said, it's also not uncommon for the timing cover resealing job to be less than 100% correctly done. So one usual suspect is that the cover is still leaking after the work. But confirmation is required regardless in any case.

On the noise, it does sound like a bit of an HLA tick in the background, but not as much as I've heard in some other owner videos. There's currently another thread on this subject active right now, so you might want to read through that for more information about HLA noise.

And just an FYI that the oil light you've been seeing is almost certainly the amber one, which is low oil level, not low pressure. Not a big deal, but it's always good to call 'em what they really are.

You're right on both fronts, the oil light is the amber one.

The other issue was for 19V-497 / 3719F :
A software error within the powertrain control module (PCM) may cause the vehicle to stall while driving. This can lead to an accident.

The software for the powertrain control module (PCM) may have an error, leading to the engine to stall while driving. Dealers will reprogram the PCM software free of charge to resolve the concern.

Maybe it was the check engine light not the oil light.

Thanks for the correction and help. I'm keeping an eye on the other threads too.

The other issue was for 19V-497 / 3719F :
A software error within the powertrain control module (PCM) may cause the vehicle to stall while driving. ....
Ok, the 'low oil pressure' threw me off. That's the old familiar dropped rocker arm recall, and I probably should have guessed that was it.

Latest posts

Back