Off centered steering wheel?

This should be an easy dealer fix. They just need to do an alignment. Part of that process is to center the steering wheel, then make sure the wheels are at the alignment spec.

This should be an easy dealer fix. They just need to do an alignment. Part of that process is to center the steering wheel, then make sure the wheels are at the alignment spec.
The dealer did an alignment & the steering wheel looked the same.

I bought a new Mazda once and the steering wheel pointed off-center on the test drive. It didn't pull or have any wheel alignment problems. I bought the car but told the salesman I wanted them to fix the off-center steering wheel. I suggested they pull the steering column out of the splined shaft and move it one spline over. I'm not sure if they did that, but the problem was fixed when I took delivery.

The dealer did an alignment & the steering wheel looked the same.
Then the dealer messed up. If the car is not pulling, but the steering wheel is off center, the 'toe' adjustment is off on the alignment.

I bought a new Mazda once and the steering wheel pointed off-center on the test drive. It didn't pull or have any wheel alignment problems. I bought the car but told the salesman I wanted them to fix the off-center steering wheel. I suggested they pull the steering column out of the splined shaft and move it one spline over. I'm not sure if they did that, but the problem was fixed when I took delivery.
This is a good theory, and actually the only method available on certain older cars with only one adjustable tie rod. But the problem with this approach, other than the fact that the spline method of adjustment is crude and unlikely to get the steering wheel exactly straight, is that you would then have slightly less steering available to you in one direction and slightly more in the other, compared to a truly centered steering wheel.

Then the dealer messed up. If the car is not pulling, but the steering wheel is off center, the 'toe' adjustment is off on the alignment.
Alignment was in spec. Can you do a write up on how to align, you seem to know how to fix it.

Just got a 2014 CX-5 GS and the steering is exactly the same. Drives completely straight with no pull but requires a an annoying amount of steer turn to the left to get that way.

Did anyone get this fixed, if so, what was it?

I have 2 CX-5s.

One is perfectly straight and drives like on rails. Perfect.
Second CX-5 is off. Steering wheel is off center and it tends to slightly pull to the left.

Anyone heard about 'steering sensor reset'?

Now,

I called the dealer about it and service guy said that "due to CX-5's sensitive steering it might be normal and there could be nothing to fix"

I'll ask them to look into this when I go for oil change.

Alignment was in spec. Can you do a write up on how to align, you seem to know how to fix it.
The thing is, even if the alignment is within specs on paper, the steering wheel could still be off if the tech didn't take proper care centering the steering wheel perfectly before taking his readings, and then set and tested it again after he made any alignment changes, if he did have to change anything that is. So there are two opportunities right there for the specs to look good, but still have an off center steering wheel. The good news is that even if the steering wheel is off center, the tires won't wear as long as the 'total toe' setting (and camber setting) is within specs.

It could be corrected manually without an alignment machine by carefully adjusting the tie rod equal distances, but I don't really recommend doing it that way because if you are off in your calculations the front tires will start to wear prematurely.

I have 2 CX-5s.

One is perfectly straight and drives like on rails. Perfect.
Second CX-5 is off. Steering wheel is off center and it tends to slightly pull to the left.

Anyone heard about 'steering sensor reset'?

Now,

I called the dealer about it and service guy said that "due to CX-5's sensitive steering it might be normal and there could be nothing to fix"

I'll ask them to look into this when I go for oil change.

Went for a fix. They did work on alignment as they found it out of specs but car still drives like crap.

I'll call them again before talking to Mazda Corporate.

New CX-5 with 1500 miles and they could not get it right? Pretty terrible.

My other 2 Mazdas ('06 3 hatch(sold) & my speed6) were hard to align.
Either the steering wheel was slightly off centered or it pulled a little to the left or right.
Mazdas 'aggressive' setup for better handling?
The 3 chew through tires ever 25k miles too.

I got my CX-5 less than a month ago. Just had the dealer do an alignment for the same issue. I would say it looks the same. If there is any improvement it is very slight.
I was surprised to see on the invoice state it was repaired as per bulletin. Didn't know there was a TSB on it.

Dealer did an alignment, it's slightly off set to the other side now it seems. Less than before, so an improvement, but I have a feeling they will never be able to get these 100%. The TSB you mention was about earlier model years (hasn't been updated yet) and it says 3 degress off is considered normal, which is about where I am now (maybe a bit less)... before it seemed like it was a bit more than that.

TSB 02-004/13 STEERING WHEEL OFF CENTER WITHOUT DRIFT OR PULL.

Dealer called Mazda and was advised the TSB applies to my 2014 as well. Steering wheel still looks a bit to the left but steering does feel a little firmer to me.

If I use the silver trim on the bottom to judge straight up & down center, it doesn't look off centered.
???
A10AB050-BED2-4F55-80E6-84CAAB35BBCF-1040-00000062D296FFF9.jpg

New owner here. New to Mazda as well. I have the same issue with wheel not centered but I have a question about something else.
Is it normal to have the steering wheel not centered on the instrument cluster? I just noticed that everything (seat,steering wheel, and speedometer) seems to be pointing slightly towards the front left corner of the vehicle. I am not used to this. Can you confirm? Is this a Mazda thing?

I'll tell you that unless yours is really off, they will likely do an alignment and it will just be off in the other way. Mine was slightly fixed, but it's still slightly off.

As for everything being off centre, a lot of things do seem to have weird alignments (like the climate controls) which seem to make it feel like something should be wrong. I haven't exactly put my finger on it, but all the random angles seem to just give an odd sensation that nothing is where it should be.

I have a feeling it's Mazda's design for the driver. The steering wheel in mine is noticeably shifted to the right of the instrument cluster/panel above it. If I try to sit square in my seat facing dead center towards the front of the vehicle my chest is centered on the 120 mph mark on the speedo. When I settle in the seat my body is turned slightly to the left pointing more towards the left corner.

All vehicles, especially new ones, should have a centered steering wheel and drive straight without pulling in the center lane of a road. If any of this doesn't match the behavior of your vehicle, it should be fixed. Every Japan-made vehicle I've ever owned (including both Mazda's) had off-center steering wheels and I believe it to be a matter of the right-hand drive to left-hand drive re-engineering or just a suspension anomaly. However, my SVT Focus, originally engineered as a right-hand drive vehicle, never needed an alignment in 130k.

call me crazy, but looks like i am having the same issue except my wheel is turned to the right. Been to the dealer about 5 times to do alignments and still have the issue. I've done some research and it seems that alot of places say to try adjusting the tie rods and that usually fixes it, not sure if it would however.

i even had to make a damn youtube video to prove to my dealer it was off to the right b/c apparently they couldn't see it from the passenger seat or test drive.

Check it out on my site with a whole explanation of what im talking about, yet this all seems to be normal.

http://www.jvlogs.com/tasca

Back