OEM Yokohama tires wear out after 35k? Cost effective replacements?

i assume ironman is a no-name brand (?). couldn't help but to hear "I AM IRONMAN" in my head as i read it, so maybe effective marketing for some people. yeah, looks like the dealer is out to make some money. not a true fleecing, but definitely making money.
Yep. Local tire shop would sell em set of 4 installed for $350. For the people that wanted new(but cheap) instead of retreads. Thats a hell of a markup the dealership got even with inflation. Ironmans are probably still only about $400 to $450 for installed set.

If dealers marking those up 200% than you know all other brands they got are way overpriced as well.

Yep. Local tire shop would sell em set of 4 installed for $350. For the people that wanted new(but cheap) instead of retreads. Thats a hell of a markup the dealership got even with inflation. Ironmans are probably still only about $400 to $450 for installed set.

If dealers marking those up 200% than you know all other brands they got are way overpriced as well.
ok, now that sounds like a fleecing to me. good thing i didn't fall for the ironman branding. i assume OP's dealer (assuming he went to the dealer?) had other tires but was just giving three options from different price ranges. the continentals for $900-1k might not be too bad a deal, but probably overkill for most applications. i went onto all the mazda dealer websites within 50 miles of me, and each one had the same tires in their inventory, including the OEM Toyos of course. They all had deals on buying 4 tires (4th one almost free), but the tire prices were all marked up compared to most other tire shops.

ok, now that sounds like a fleecing to me. good thing i didn't fall for the ironman branding. i assume OP's dealer (assuming he went to the dealer?) had other tires but was just giving three options from different price ranges. the continentals for $900-1k might not be too bad a deal, but probably overkill for most applications. i went onto all the mazda dealer websites within 50 miles of me, and each one had the same tires in their inventory, including the OEM Toyos of course. They all had deals on buying 4 tires (4th one almost free), but the tire prices were all marked up compared to most other tire shops.
Yep . Always get my firestones from local indy shop and my nokians from online.
My alternate option would be warehouse club.
and avoid the dealerships and chain stores(Pep boys, NTB, etc.)

found this article interesting, about different tire brands and their subsidiaries: https://tiresvote.com/articles/subsidiaries-of-leading-tire-companies/
Good article. Yeah remember in the 80's the Dunlop branded tires were better than the goodyears.

Anymore though it's hit or miss with tires though . One line from a brand may be crap while the other is great. For instance the Firestone Destination AT is a great tire in all conditions but the Destination LE(tour all-season) can hardly hold the road on wet roads. Some Mastercrafts were better than Coopers, etc, etc.

I couldn't tolerate the abuse from the yoko's and replaced them at 3000 miles with the RT43's.

I came across a good deal and ordered (online ) 4 of the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires today from Walmart for the 'rollback' price of $124.95 each. Size is 225/65/17 102H.

I've been looking at tires for a while and these check a lot of the right boxes and the price too good to pass up. Tire prices are getting a bit over the top. They should be delivered to my local Walmart (my choice) for pickup early next week.
Wow, that’s a good deal on those tires. I might have to cancel my BFGs and grab these. Wish they also had them in 19s at that price.

Good article. Yeah remember in the 80's the Dunlop branded tires were better than the goodyears.

Anymore though it's hit or miss with tires though . One line from a brand may be crap while the other is great. For instance the Firestone Destination AT is a great tire in all conditions but the Destination LE(tour all-season) can hardly hold the road on wet roads. Some Mastercrafts were better than Coopers, etc, etc.
i could swear dunlop was more popular back in at least the early 2000s. i remember getting a set on my 93 accord. i loved the look of them - the sidewall and tread - it looked like a quality tire, and i thought i was driving a tank (to be young). the tires/car were horrible in the snow though. had a set of i believe goodyear integrity (think that was the name). another mediocre tire, from what i remember. i was a college student, so could have been i just got the cheapest model the brands made.

I would have been happy with 35k miles! I just replaced my toyos at 24k! Needless to say I wasn’t happy. My dealership did pricematch Costco and sold me the cc2’s for $220 per tire.

Cancelled my BFGs, getting pirellis from walmart installed Saturday morning. Over $100 cheaper for a better tire.
What's the total price including installation?
Did you buy Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires?
What's the process buying from Walmart? Ship to store and then schedule an appointment?

What's the process buying from Walmart? Ship to store and then schedule an appointment?

Here's what I did: After seeing the ad on Walmarts website I stopped in and asked if I could just order them in the store (since I was already there) and get the online order price. They said normally yes,but, due to location that I would have to order them online but DO NOT schedule installation,if so desired, until I was notified that the tires came in to Walmart. Then call/stop by and schedule installation.
PRICES: so far my charge for the tires per Walmart confirmatory email is 538.27 including "taxes and fees". That's also the pending charge on my credit card (they don't charge your card until tires received). This is tires only.
I ordered 4 tires yesterday and tires due in to WM on Monday 11-7.
The installation price (without road hazard) was $14 + $3 valve stem= $17 per tire. I think road hazard was additional $10 per tire.
That's my experience . Check with your local WM auto department. They may let you order them on the spot right there and give total price and further instructions for scheduling. Good luck.

Total price was $538.91, incl. tax. Says install is $17-27, as stated above. I won’t get the road hazard.
Scorpion AS plus 3
bought online and scheduled service at the same time. Reading post above, sounds like they may not be in the store yet, but guess I’ll see on Saturday morning.

I have a 2019 CX5 AWD and today they told me that my tires have worn down completely the OEM Yokohamas. At 35k Is that normal?

They quoted me the following replacements

Ironman $750
Falken Sincera $895
True Contact $1100

I told them to rotate the back tires to front since they were in better condition and will try to decide what to do.

I also have a Costco and Sam's Club membership so I can also pick up tires there if any board member found a good replacement at those clubs.
This is what I've seen at Walmart. Robot or human?

Sam's has a tire sale coming up Nov 5th-9th with "up to" $160 off 4 tires and free install. Only following brands: Goodyear, Goodrich, Pirelli, Michelin. Just F
Here's what I did: After seeing the ad on Walmarts website I stopped in and asked if I could just order them in the store (since I was already there) and get the online order price. They said normally yes,but, due to location that I would have to order them online but DO NOT schedule installation,if so desired, until I was notified that the tires came in to Walmart. Then call/stop by and schedule installation.
PRICES: so far my charge for the tires per Walmart confirmatory email is 538.27 including "taxes and fees". That's also the pending charge on my credit card (they don't charge your card until tires received). This is tires only.
I ordered 4 tires yesterday and tires due in to WM on Monday 11-7.
The installation price (without road hazard) was $14 + $3 valve stem= $17 per tire. I think road hazard was additional $10 per tire.
That's my experience . Check with your local WM auto department. They may let you order them on the spot right there and give total price and further instructions for scheduling. Good luck.

Total price was $538.91, incl. tax. Says install is $17-27, as stated above. I won’t get the road hazard.
Scorpion AS plus 3
bought online and scheduled service at the same time. Reading post above, sounds like they may not be in the store yet, but guess I’ll see on Saturday morning.

Okay, so total including installation is 606.27 which seems incredibly well priced for me. What's road Hazard? Is that essential? Lastly, my local tire shop says Walmart does a terrible job installing, is this a concern for you or are they just saying this to keep buisness?

My other issue Is I can't find the discounted Scorpions for 134 on walmart.com.

The only discounted tires I found are these, but they don't fit the CX-5.

Okay, so total including installation is 606.27 which seems incredibly well priced for me. What's road Hazard? Is that essential? Lastly, my local tire shop says Walmart does a terrible job installing, is this a concern for you or are they just saying this to keep buisness?

If you get the tire you want for a good price, dont worry about the install. Unless you have super expensive rims, go for it.

I've had walmart installed tires and they did a fine job, same as anywhere else.

was even hesitant to let my local tire shop install my recently powdercoated rims but they did fine as well.

Again if you have $2000 rims, you may want to go to a luxury autoshop that has the expensive hunter machine. But otherwise...

Last edited:

What size Scorpion are you looking for. Where did this $134 price come from? My Touring takes a 225/65/17 H size.
I just did a google search "Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3 Walmart" and it went right into their page priced at 124.95 for the tires I ordered. Again, is this the size you want (225/65/17).

Walmart installed my RT43's and did a good job. And they torqued the lug nuts by hand to the correct torque. No matter where you have them done you'll probably need to adjust the tire pressure. My RT43's felt like mushy balloons at the factory tire pressure Walmart (and other tire shops) set them to. A few more PSI and they were great.
****And remember, Walmart does NOT do alignments so figure in that additional expense. My car was recently aligned due to suspension parts replaced so I already paid for that back then.

I have a 2019 CX5 AWD and today they told me that my tires have worn down completely the OEM Yokohamas. At 35k Is that normal?
If your stock tires are Yokohama, they’re 17” tires. The OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires are rated at “280 B A” on UTQG. And the 35K-mile tread life (280 UTQG) is about right.

I couldn't tolerate the abuse from the yoko's and replaced them at 3000 miles with the RT43's.

I came across a good deal and ordered (online ) 4 of the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires today from Walmart for the 'rollback' price of $124.95 each. Size is 225/65/17 102H.

I've been looking at tires for a while and these check a lot of the right boxes and the price too good to pass up. Tire prices are getting a bit over the top. They should be delivered to my local Walmart (my choice) for pickup early next week.
Actually what I did a couple of years ago when I saw the WalMart.com was having a sale on Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tires for $84.49 each, I just went to my local Discount Tire Store and asked for the price match and also took the advantage of DT Independence Day Event 10% gift card rebate. I love my DT and their tire machines (installation and balancing) are always the best of the industry. Of course the routine tire service, tire rotation、balancing, and the flat repair are always free nationwide. The best of all is you’ll get pro-rated credit from the mileage warranty towards the new tire purchase if the old tires don’t reach the said miles.

Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V Tires Finally Installed

Last edited:
If your stock tires are Yokohama, they’re 17” tires. The OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires are rated at “280 B A” on UTQG. And the 35K-mile tread life (280 UTQG) is about right.
Thanks, I kinda thought his car took 17's.

Actually what I did a couple of years ago when I saw the WalMart.com was having a sale on Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tires for $84.49 each, I just went to my local Discount Tire Store and asked for the price match and also took the advantage of DT Independence Day Event 10% gift card rebate. I love my DT and their tire machines (installation and balancing) are always the best of the industry. Of course the routine tire service, tire rotation、balancing, and the flat repair are always free nationwide. The best of all is you’ll get pro-rated credit from the mileage warranty towards the new tire purchase if the old tires don’t reach the said miles.

Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V Tires Finally Installed
Yes, and I remembered you did that and checked for the Dimax online and WM carries them. But when I saw the Pirelli's they called out my name. Lucky you for DT. There isn't one anywhere close to me and wished there was. Same with Costco until they finally built one here. Maybe we'll get DT someday. And maybe someday I'll move to somewhere warmer that's populated with beautiful women and won't G.A.S. about tires or cars anymore. Rock n' Roll.

Back