OEM Yokohama tires wear out after 35k? Cost effective replacements?

:
CX5
I have a 2019 CX5 AWD and today they told me that my tires have worn down completely the OEM Yokohamas. At 35k Is that normal?

They quoted me the following replacements

Ironman $750
Falken Sincera $895
True Contact $1100

I told them to rotate the back tires to front since they were in better condition and will try to decide what to do.

I also have a Costco and Sam's Club membership so I can also pick up tires there if any board member found a good replacement at those clubs.

Here is an 18 page thread with many different tire suggestions and plenty of user feedback.

And a few more threads from the first page of this subforum..

Mine went to the wear bars at 36k miles. I replaced them with pirelli scorpion all season plus 3 and have been extremely pleased with them. They’re less sporty but they have great acoustics and grip.

I also have a Costco and Sam's Club membership so I can also pick up tires there if any board member found a good replacement at those clubs.
Sam's has a tire sale coming up Nov 5th-9th with "up to" $160 off 4 tires and free install. Only following brands: Goodyear, Goodrich, Pirelli, Michelin. Just FYI

2013 CX-5: original tires replaced at 36k miles-ish with Michelin Defenders. Those Defenders were just replaced again over the summer at 105k miles with Michelin Defender T+H from Sam's club using that exact sale that RedBaron mentioned above.

Yeah, I actually got a real world, no BS 70,000 miles out of those Michelins. The were rated for 80k, so slightly less than advertised, but I'm still calling 70,000 miles on a set of tires a win!

my son has 23k mikes on his 2018 yoko geolanders and they are done. Cracking in the grooves and worn down to the yellow area on my tire gauge. The car is not garaged so I expect the the elements to wear them out faster, but 23k miles is really poor. What utter crap tires. my 2019 cx5 with 27k miles are also on their last legs, no cracking, but tire gauge shows they are in the yellow range. I am replacing the 2018 with bfgoodrich advantage control this Saturday at Costco. $728 installed. I expect these will be much better. Not sure what I’ll do for my 2019 yet.

Maybe you son likes to drive sportingly when out of sight? I've gotten ~34-37,000 on the two sets I've had on my CX5 turbo that was later totaled.

Eh, tire prices like everything else are out of control, can’t do much better than around $700 installed($150/tire). Tire rack, Costco, bjs, this was the best deal. It’s a few hundred more for other brands, like Michelin. These got good ratings/reviews so I went with them. ill report back on them. Costco also offers free rotations and free repair.

Last edited:
Sam's has a tire sale coming up Nov 5th-9th with "up to" $160 off 4 tires and free install. Only following brands: Goodyear, Goodrich, Pirelli, Michelin. Just FYI
Sweet! I just logged onto Sams and saw the 160 off. Are you sure about the free install? I might pick up a set of those Michelins if I can get them under 800 dollars.

my son has 23k mikes on his 2018 yoko geolanders and they are done. Cracking in the grooves and worn down to the yellow area on my tire gauge. The car is not garaged so I expect the the elements to wear them out faster, but 23k miles is really poor. What utter crap tires. my 2019 cx5 with 27k miles are also on their last legs, no cracking, but tire gauge shows they are in the yellow range. I am replacing the 2018 with bfgoodrich advantage control this Saturday at Costco. $728 installed. I expect these will be much better. Not sure what I’ll do for my 2019 yet.
Why did you choose the BF goodrich? Is 728 the normal price at Costco or was this a deal? I need to take a look at them too.

My local dealer quoted BF goodrich Control for 844, so I guess Cosco is cheaper?

They also said I could go with Uniroyal TP Tour A/S for $780. Is that a good set? Haven't seen anyone use them on this forum.

Why did you choose the BF goodrich? Is 728 the normal price at Costco or was this a deal? I need to take a look at them too.
It was a deal, $150 off 4 I think it was, it’s gone now. the vredestein get good reviews on tire rack, maybe check them out. I struggled to find a tire, either not available or too expensive. What I was after was longevity and quiet ride, performance was a little lower on the list. I think these are a relatively newer tire, reviews all over the place, some love them, some don’t, but overall we’re good. My son is not an aggressive driver so I think these will be fine, but a tire expert I am not.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 CX5 AWD and today they told me that my tires have worn down completely the OEM Yokohamas. At 35k Is that normal?

They quoted me the following replacements

Ironman $750
Falken Sincera $895
True Contact $1100

I told them to rotate the back tires to front since they were in better condition and will try to decide what to do.

As others have noted, 35k miles is not unexpected. Were those price quotes from a dealer? From a price standpoint dealers are the worst place to buy tires.

By all means check Costco or Sam's. However, a tire chain may be your best bet for selection and price--Discount Tire / America's Tire and Mavis are a couple of the biggest chains. In my area, Mavis and Dunn compete head-to-head and every time I've checked their prices are virtually identical and as good or better than anybody else's, including the all-in with Tire Rack shipping to a local installer.

I prefer my local Mavis shop--more professional, in and out faster, than Dunn. They have a laser alignment rig. I spring for a $100 alignment with each set of tires--I can't recall ever having even wear on tires at the end of the line.

Yes, I would say 35k miles would be typical usage out of the oem yohohama's

... I told them to rotate the back tires to front since they were in better condition and will try to decide what to do...
Usually want the better tires on the rear. I would say average drivers handle understeer better than oversteer.

If you are looking for an economical tire, the General Altimax RT43 has always been a solid all around performer for me on multiple vehicles. Good tire at a decent price. Currently showing $162/ea at DT.

I couldn't tolerate the abuse from the yoko's and replaced them at 3000 miles with the RT43's.

I came across a good deal and ordered (online ) 4 of the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires today from Walmart for the 'rollback' price of $124.95 each. Size is 225/65/17 102H.

I've been looking at tires for a while and these check a lot of the right boxes and the price too good to pass up. Tire prices are getting a bit over the top. They should be delivered to my local Walmart (my choice) for pickup early next week.

Last edited:
$750 for ironman rubbers???

You could have a way better tire for slightly more.

pirelli, firestone, falken , michelins.
All alot less at sams club or your local tire shop.
i assume ironman is a no-name brand (?). couldn't help but to hear "I AM IRONMAN" in my head as i read it, so maybe effective marketing for some people. yeah, looks like the dealer is out to make some money. not a true fleecing, but definitely making money.

My local dealer quoted BF goodrich Control for 844, so I guess Cosco is cheaper?

They also said I could go with Uniroyal TP Tour A/S for $780. Is that a good set? Haven't seen anyone use them on this forum.
from what i've read they are a decent tire, but not good in the snow (not sure if you live in the snowy regions). i like the look of the tread, and the prices on them (keep in mind uniroyal is the lower end brand under michelin - bfgoodrich is the midrange brand in between uniroyal and michelin), but need good winter traction up in these here parts (upstate ny).

I couldn't tolerate the abuse from the yoko's and replaced them at 3000 miles with the RT43's.

I came across a good deal and ordered (online ) 4 of the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires today from Walmart for the 'rollback' price of $124.95 each. Size is 225/65/17 102H.

I've been looking at tires for a while and these check a lot of the right boxes and the price too good to pass up. Tire prices are getting a bit over the top. They should be delivered to my local Walmart (my choice) for pickup early next week.
how was your experience with the altimax rt43s? i just had rt45s installed (car came w/ bridgestone ecopias that aren't rated well for winter plus were a bit too worn to really trust anyway - the bridgestones handled well in the dry and rain, to their credit). the new rt45 replaces the rt43 with a new tread pattern, harder rubber and supposedly better treadlife while performing as well in all conditions. not many reviews on the new tire, but tons on the rt43 which had been out for many years.

Back