OEM CD Changer issues

sykopat

:
Mazda Mazdaspeed6 2006, Mazda 3 Sport GT 2007
I've got a 2009 Mazda5, about 3 months old.

A couple of weeks ago, I got in the car, drove back home, but I had no radio at all. Could not turn it on or off. Only saw the little "CD IN" on the top left corner. Got out of the car, stopped the engine, turned it back on and voila! The radio was back.

This evening, I was just leaving work. Got in my car, turned it on, same problem again. No FM radio, no Cd, no bluetooth, no display at all except the HELLO greeting, but then nothing.

Any clue on what could be happening? I'll probably bring it to the dealer, but I was wondering if anyone knew what could be defective.

I had some aftermarket HIDs a couple of weeks ago that were installed. Could that be the cause of an electrical glitch?

Thanks a lot.

1. Are you trying to use a MP3 CD or some 'home made' CD?

I had some aftermarket HIDs a couple of weeks ago that were installed. Could that be the cause of an electrical glitch?

Thanks a lot.

2. If any wire with e 12 V + is touching the body of the car, you're in for some fun,...

EXAMPLE:

I have two AMP 12+ wires running to the back, only using one for the time being, well one sliped under the seat and the kids butts squished the tape off the end of the wire, well it touched the body of the car.... could not turn the radio off... JUST THE RADIO. weird huh?

Therefore, I leave no 'weird' option un touched, anything can happen; check and see if any 12+ is running through the car.

Peace!(rei)

1. Are you trying to use a MP3 CD or some 'home made' CD?

I'm only trying to use the radio! LOL! I didn't get to the point where I can insert a CD. When it doesnt work, I can turn it on, but there's no sound and no display. I know it's on cause when I turn the engine off and on, I get the Hello! display, which I would not get with the radio/tuner off.

But when it happens, there's no radio, no bluetooth, nothing at all. With or without a cd inserted.

I've had a number of problems with the 6-disk changer in my 2008.

My factory stereo has a tenancy to become unable to play discs that are in the changer -- even if the correct number of discs is shown on the display. It's happened about a half dozen times since I bought the vehicle. It usually resets itself after a couple of on/off cycles of the ignition. My dealer is uninterested in resolving the issue.

During one event, the tuner did not work correctly -- I'll did through my records and describe that one as soon as I have some more time. (I've been trying to keep detailed records of the dates, times, miles, symptoms, etc...)

Thanks for the details. Out of curiosity morethan5, do you have any modifications that could interfere with your oem radio, as aftermarket speakers, sub, or even HID?

It happened on my '09 about five times, and the latest occurrence was last night. Stopped for an errand for 5 minutes, after starting the car, the CD didn't work. I was unable to change disc nor eject, and only had the radio. Even after re-starting a couple of times, still won't work. This morning, back to normal.

I was wondering how to get the dealer to recognize the problem...

This has happened to my 2008 GT a few times over the past 3 months or so - CD player & AUX will not work, only the radio. After a power cycle or two it's fine and doesn't reoccur for a while. I don't live that close to the dealership, so I'm hesitant to go in with a problem I can't easily reproduce. I'll probably talk to them about it when I go in for a regular service, with the hope that they'll know about the issue and replace the unit. I've got a little less than 2 years left on the warranty, so I'm not too concerned at the moment. But I'm kind of hoping it craps out completely soon so I can get it resolved.

Thanks for the details. Out of curiosity morethan5, do you have any modifications that could interfere with your oem radio, as aftermarket speakers, sub, or even HID?

My only modification is new tires... http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123752674

In my opinion, there is either a problem with the unit's software (firmware) getting lost in some unrecoverable state (and not being appropriately caught by a watchdog timer) or there is a connection problem between the head unit and CD changer. The fact that so many people so quickly report having the issue indicates that there actually is an assignable cause. The fact that a certain number of on-off power cycles restore correct player operation suggests a software problem, not a connection problem.

I've had the problem at least four times -- maybe five. I have documented events at 16k, 17k and 23k miles.

During the most recent incident, I was driving along with and FM radio station playing. I had two purchased music discs in the player. I was sick of the radio and pressed the "CD" button. At this point I got a the "DISC IN" indicator, the clock and a blank screen. When convenient, I cycled the engine twice (IGN-ON, IGN-OFF, everything off, START, run for a few seconds, repeat, keep things running the 2nd time). At this point the display showed the "HELLO!" message -- and the message did not clear! I was able to get in to AM/FM mode, using the steering wheel controls, not the head controls. The station frequency displayed (and was playing) the one I was listening to before the incident. By pressing steering wheel controls, I was able to change stations, but the display continued to show the frequency I was listening to before the event. Pressing the CD button on the head killed the sound. When the CD button was released, the sound came back, as did the wrong station number. I cycled the engine off and on again and everything was back to normal.

I have notes on two other events. During both incidents, I was listening to the CDs before going in to a store, shut the car off, locked it, went in to a store, returned 10 minutes later, started the car and the CDs would not play -- even though they should have resumed automatically. In both cases, I had six books on CD discs in the changer, the display reflected this fact, and the would unit not play or eject them. Two or three engine on-off power cycles made the world a better place.

In my opinion, there is either a problem with the unit's software (firmware) getting lost in some unrecoverable state (and not being appropriately caught by a watchdog timer) or there is a connection problem between the head unit and CD changer.

(iagree)

ALSO, you guys and gals know that there is an entire computer
that runs, radio, CD, Navi, audio controls, etc. etc. right?

FOR A JAPAN PREMACY (Not sure on the 5) = the kick panel down
by my right foot is where the AUDIO CPU is at. Pop that open,
unplug all the yellow and white plugs, then plug them back in,
hook negative battery cable back up see what that does.

I AGREE the dealer is not going to want to 'troubleshoot' an
intermittent problem.

As for the CD changer, that could be the culprit too, but a
swap out of one system with another like one is only thing I
can think of. Know anyone with a 5 that wants to trade radios
for a test, LOL!? (wiggle) (boom03)

Peace! (rei)

Back