No Interstate batteries for 2017 and 2018 CX-5?

Soon I will need to replace factory battery on my '18 cx5.

Decided to go with interstate, however they don't have them listed for 2017 and 2018 models on their website.
No such problem for 2016 and 2019.

Screenshot_20210730-115655_Firefox.jpg

Do you think 2019 cx5 using different battery than 2018?

Last edited:
My understanding is that Interstate has a different manufacturer for their batteries and may not have the reliability of years past. Actually, I think Johnson Controls made a lot of their batteries in the past. Not being a Costco member, I went with a Superstart Premium (made by East Penn/Deka) from O'reilly auto parts for my replacement. It was pricey but it got done "right now" as the rain turned to snow. Search around the forum here. Some members get good deals at Walmart on Johnson Controls made batteries under Walmart's label.

I've never bought one at Costco, but for a better understanding of what battery you need, maybe check the battery's label.

Soon I will need to replace factory battery on my '18 cx5.

Decided to go with interstate, however they don't have them listed for 2017 and 2018 models on their website.
No such problem for 2016 and 2019.

View attachment 301636
Do you think 2019 cx5 using different battery than 2018?
US Costco sells Interstatt batteries, and Interstate Group 35 is for all US gen-1 CX-5 and gen-2 CX-5’s without i-stop and I-ELOOP.

B4C9379C-06CB-4359-828F-0FABD7D4F6DE.jpeg

The price had been gone up $10, now $89, in May this year.

My understanding is that Interstate has a different manufacturer for their batteries and may not have the reliability of years past. Actually, I think Johnson Controls made a lot of their batteries in the past. Not being a Costco member, I went with a Superstart Premium (made by East Penn/Deka) from O'reilly auto parts for my replacement. It was pricey but it got done "right now" as the rain turned to snow. Search around the forum here. Some members get good deals at Walmart on Johnson Controls made batteries under Walmart's label.
“The maker of Interstate Batteries is Brookfield Business Partners and Exide Technologies. The Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a privately owned battery marketing and distribution company in the United States, markets these batteries.

There was a previous report that Johnson Controls is making 65% of Interstate Batteries. However, this is no longer true. Johnson Controls is not currently making these batteries. The company Brookfield and Exide Technologies has already taken over this job.”

Some members get good deals at Walmart on Johnson Controls made batteries under Walmart's label
That would be the EverStart house brand. I had a Maxx in my Honda Accord for about 4 years up to trade-in with no complaints. The EverStart Maxx 35-N (North) at about $90 (install extra) gets a very high rating from Consumer Reports. If you live in the south that battery many not be available in stores. The only 35 with a higher CR rating is a $300 Odyssey.

The EverStart Maxx 35-S (South) and the EverStart Plus 35-3 get middling-to-lower ratings from CR.

Some members get good deals at Walmart on Johnson Controls made batteries under Walmart's label.
That would be the EverStart house brand. I had a Maxx in my Honda Accord for about 4 years up to trade-in with no complaints. The EverStart Maxx 35-N (North) at about $90 (install extra) gets a very high rating from Consumer Reports. If you live in the south that battery many not be available in stores. The only 35 with a higher CR rating is a $300 Odyssey.

The EverStart Maxx 35-S (South) and the EverStart Plus 35-3 get middling-to-lower ratings from CR.
Johnson Controls sold their automotive battery business to Clarios in 2019. Not any batteries now is made by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls sold their automotive battery business to Clarios in 2019. Not any batteries now is made by Johnson Controls.
True. It my be of further interest that Clarios is owned by Brookfield Asset Management, a mega private equity firm, which is looking to spin it out in an IPO in classic private equity fashion--buy it and load it with the acquisition debt, spiff it up with some operating efficiencies and financial engineering, then sell it in the public market for a profit.
“The maker of Interstate Batteries is Brookfield Business Partners and Exide Technologies. The Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a privately owned battery marketing and distribution company in the United States, markets these batteries.

There was a previous report that Johnson Controls is making 65% of Interstate Batteries. However, this is no longer true. Johnson Controls is not currently making these batteries. The company Brookfield and Exide Technologies has already taken over this job.”
Of perhaps further interest, Brookfield Business Partners is part of Brookfield Asset Management which markets and distributes Interstate batteries while Exide manufactures them as a separate entity. That puts Clarios and Excide partially under the same roof for the time being. Excide is now owned by another private equity firm, Atlas Holdings, who bought the company out of bankruptcy, this courtesy of Wikipedia:

"On May 19, 2020, Exide (and four subsidiaries) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to facilitate the sale of its North American assets.[49] In July 2020, Exide sold its North American assets to Atlas Holdings.[50]

On August 25, 2020, Atlas Holdings launched standalone companies Stryten Manufacturing and Element Resources following its acquisition of substantially all the operating assets of the Americas business of Exide Technologies, LLC. The transaction completes a court-supervised sale process, pursuant to Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy code. [51]"

Given all of this private equity musical chairs, loyalty to one of the involved brand names that happen to be printed on batteries is more or less worthless. Go with the current reviews, CR or whatever other reliable sources one can find. The rest is TMI of dubious value.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's another endorsement of EverStart as a bang for the buck option. However, that's from 2019 (with lots of references to Johnson Controls) but more importantly he's testing apples against oranges--the EverStart is a Group 27, another is a Group 34, some I can't tell without rewinding and scrutinizing the whole video and maybe not even then.

Consumer Reports comes up with some widely differing results within the same make and model but different groups and North/South variations within the same model. For example, among the nine Everstart Maxx batteries CR tested, the scores range from 62 to 92 with the 35 North scoring that 92.

CR didn't even test Group 27 batteries at all as with the Maxx in this video. That leads me to believe that group is not very often used in cars of recent vintage. If so, it would be an odd choice for a comparison test.

This would be Walmart's battery for our cars right?
EverStart Maxx
The item title says Group 35N (not sure what is that “N” (North?) means), but the label on the battery says Group 35, it should be it. I like the fact that there’s a build-in handle for this EverStart Maxx battery.

Then the item title says the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is 640, but the dedcription says 550? :unsure:

I think thr N is for the terminal orientation.
The 35S would have the terminals on the other side, and that would be a problem for the cables to reach.

I think thr N is for the terminal orientation.
The 35S would have the terminals on the other side, and that would be a problem for the cables to reach.
As far as I know, different terminal orientation on the same BCI Group Size, if any, should be indicated by the “R” (Reverse?), such as Group 24 / 24R; or Group 51 / 51R.

The item title says Group 35N (not sure what is that “N” (North?) means), but the label on the battery says Group 35, it should be it. I like the fact that there’s a build-in handle for this EverStart Maxx battery.

Then the item title says the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is 640, but the dedcription says 550? :unsure:
"N" is for North, S" is for South, different batteries for different climates.

Then the item title says the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is 640, but the description says 550? :unsure:
I'm not sure where you're seeing 550. Anyway, the N (North) version is 640 CCA. That's what I see in the CR review and the Walmart title, description and picture of the top of the battery. The much lower rated S (South) version is 550. I'm not seeing the S version being sold anymore. Even when I plug in a Florida zip for store pickup I see only the N . S might be discontinued, which you wouldn't want anyway, in which case N would stand for aNywhere.

Back