No Crank, No Start, Help Please!

If your engine doesn't turn over then coils have nothing to do with your problem.

Tr switches have a tendency to wear out intermittently...
Yours died all of a sudden...

That leads me to think that he shifter cable may have fallen off or broken.. (unless the physical contact inside the switch just fell apart)

Hmm Okay, I might try then.. I just didn't understand the whole aligning of the TR switch.

Where is the shifter cable?

Last edited:
Screenshot_2017-11-01-13-43-34.png

http://web.archive.org/web/20050227015339/http://protege5.ugly.net:80/05-18.PDF

Read through the two chapters to familiarize yourself with it then see what's under your car. (I've never seen it... my car's a manual.)

6) The next thing I will try to do on Thursday will be, new ignition coil's and new a new starter relay just in case. Even though I tested it and heard click noise.!

When you say starter relay, do you mean this ???

Screenshot_2017-11-01-15-22-36.png

Part #3 ??
The big ass solenoid on top of the starter motor ??
I'm having a hard time finding "starter relay" in the manual...

K... So if this was my car, and it suddenly wouldn't start and I had an automatic (Eeeeeeww)...

I would trace the wire from the starter motor..

The B/Y wire should be +12 V with the key in start position.

Follow that to the B/Y wire coming out of the Transaxle Range switch and check for +12 V...

Then I would check for +12 V going INTO the TR switch on the B/L wire.. (start wire from the ignition switch).

Depending on where the +12 V stops, you can find the problem and eliminate many possible parts replacements.

Your problem may be simply a bad connection or break along that wire.

If you've got+12 V going into your TR switch but not coming out (in P or N) then your TR Switch is faulty.

REMEMBER !!! This is only if I had an Automatic... Which I do not... Eeeeeww.

When you say starter relay, do you mean this ???

Screenshot_2017-11-01-15-22-36.png

Part #3 ??
The big ass solenoid on top of the starter motor ??
I'm having a hard time finding "starter relay" in the manual...

Sorry I used wrong term. I meant the starter relay switch, like the big one in the fuse box, I thought that's what its called.

But another update...

I replaced the neutral safety switch.. still doesn't start. So I have done replaced the starter motor/solenoid, the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch.

So after I replace that fuse tomorrow, pretty sure I'll be taking it to mechanic.. don't know what the hell else is wrong.

So after I replace that fuse tomorrow, pretty sure I'll be taking it to mechanic.. don't know what the hell else is wrong.

You may want to take it to a Mazda mechanic...

They may charge more but they may know exactly what's wrong and how to fix it.

Or show him this thread to give him a head start.

... I meant the starter relay switch, like the big one in the fuse box, I thought that's what its called...

I'm still not seeing it ???

Screenshot_2017-11-01-19-02-34.png

Screenshot_2017-11-01-19-02-50.png

I did hear a relay clicking when I turned my key to start without the clutch depressed but it was from the right side of the passenger foot well..

PS..
Right at 2:10 he mentions the 100 Amp main fuse..

That damn thing bolts in..
You have to unbolt the entire fusebox, lift it up, unbolt the burnt fuse and bolt in a new one...
What a PITA...
I've blown it twice...

Remember...

You're talking about a car that doesn't even crank...

Not a car that won't run...

I personally would do what the FSM Says to do about it...

Screenshot_2017-11-01-18-04-12.png

"Open starter circuit between ignition key and starter"

Check for a broken/disconnected/bad connected wire...
Trace the TR switch for continuity.

PS..
Right at 2:10 he mentions the 100 Amp main fuse..

That damn thing bolts in..
You have to unbolt the entire fusebox, lift it up, unbolt the burnt fuse and bolt in a new one...
What a PITA...
I've blown it twice...

You are right.. that is fuel pump relay.. I got some miss information... Wait so this 100amp fuse.. I didn't check that... Will that prevent car from starting???? Thanks.

So my last question.. where is the ingition relay or starter relay.. does this car have one?? I haven't checked those.. I got confused with that fuel pump relay.

No... That fuse will prevent your car from doing anything.

It's like not having a battery...

What about the main relay?? I was doing some reading on that... Do you it's worth to try that before taking it in.. only $25 bucks.

Back