NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 Mazda CX-5

The new IIHS ratings are out and only 15 cars make the Top Safety Pick+ with another 47 as Top Safety Pick. The Mazda 3, CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 are all listed as a Top Safety Pick.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/headl...t-of-2018-iihs-top-safety-pick-award-winners/
Thiss a bad news for Mazda. Mazda now have to change its ads on CX-5 as they can no longer claim CX-5 is having IIHS Top Safety Pick+. Mazda hasnt been using NHTSA Safety Ratings for advertisement as its CX-5 has failed to reach 5-Star overall rating since 2016 MY.

I wonder what changed to cause the 2018 model to only be rated TSP without the plus. The summary page shows identical results for both 2017 and 2018 models.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv/2018

I think it is the passenger side small-overlap front crash test.

edit. I just looked at your link and yes, it looks to meet all the requirements for the +.

edit #2. And the Kia Soul, which is a +, has only an "A" rating and not good (which is the best) for the passenger side structure. The CX-5 is good. Not very consistent.

Last edited:
I wonder what changed to cause the 2018 model to only be rated TSP without the plus. The summary page shows identical results for both 2017 and 2018 models.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv/2018
blog.caranddriver.com said:
For the top rating, many vehicles were tripped up by the addition of a passenger-side small-overlap front crash test that was added to the criteria for the award. The IIHS has been rating vehicles for drivers-side protection in small-overlap front crashes since 2012 but only recently developed the test for the passenger side. It released the first test results in October. Vehicles had to get an Acceptable or Good (top) rating in the test to be named a Top Safety Pick+.
Now among all SUVs only Hyundai Santa Fe、Hyundai Santa Fe Sport、and Mercedes-Benz GLC are rated IIHS Top Safety Pick+.

Now among all SUVs only Hyundai Santa Fe、Hyundai Santa Fe Sport、and Mercedes-Benz GLC are rated IIHS Top Safety Pick+.

If you look at the link I shared, the 2017 and 2018 models have an identical rating of G for all front overlap tests. There must be something technical that caused the 2018 models to miss the mark.

If you look at the link I shared, the 2017 and 2018 models have an identical rating of G for all front overlap tests. There must be something technical that caused the 2018 models to miss the mark.

Looks like a "good" headlight rating is now a requirement to get the plus.

Interesting to see the differences in the headlights performance between the trim levels. AFS does help with illumination around curves. Sport Trim seem to have the best RHS high beams on the straight-away.

Interesting to see the differences in the headlights performance between the trim levels. AFS does help with illumination around curves. Sport Trim seem to have the best RHS high beams on the straight-away.

Would have been good to see ALH too but they don't get it

Back