New Transmission - was Check Engine light

TravelinMan

:
2008 CX-9 GT
OK I thought that this latest development required a new thread that was previously chronicled in Check Engine Light - Day 4.

The car acted up for the service mgr today and they finally depermined that the transmission is shot, en internal malfunction. So with 190 miles on the CX-9 they are going to replace the tranny. Dealer says that Mazda replaces with a brand new unit not a rebuild, so should have the unit shipped in by end of week. Service mgr says that this is the first failure they have heard of.

Anyone else out there have any transmission issues? Anyone familiar with replacing a tranny, what should I look out for?

The Aisin/Warner 6-speed transmission uses a different (JWS3309-compatible fluid) compared to "regular" ATX fluid. A single half a cup of the WRONG fluid will completely destroy the transmission by causing the clutch packs to lock up, requiring a complete rebuild/replacement of the transmission to restore functionality.

CX-9's come with a half a quart low for ATF (and engine oil) which gets topped off upon delivery. It seems that some newbie technician put the wrong fluid whereby causing this issue.

Atleast the dealer is willing to replace it under warranty. After delivery, take it easy on the transmission for it will require a few hundred miles of break-in. Warm up the car atleast 1 minute before putting it in gear.

Good luck!

OK I thought that this latest development required a new thread that was previously chronicled in Check Engine Light - Day 4.

The car acted up for the service mgr today and they finally depermined that the transmission is shot, en internal malfunction. So with 190 miles on the CX-9 they are going to replace the tranny. Dealer says that Mazda replaces with a brand new unit not a rebuild, so should have the unit shipped in by end of week. Service mgr says that this is the first failure they have heard of.

Anyone else out there have any transmission issues? Anyone familiar with replacing a tranny, what should I look out for?

So is it fair to say that if we 08 owners are going to have a similar problem, its going to happen in the 1st 1,000 miles of the cars life?

I'm at 700 miles and crossing my fingers.

The Aisin/Warner 6-speed transmission uses a different (JWS3309-compatible fluid) compared to "regular" ATX fluid. A single half a cup of the WRONG fluid will completely destroy the transmission by causing the clutch packs to lock up, requiring a complete rebuild/replacement of the transmission to restore functionality.

CX-9's come with a half a quart low for ATF (and engine oil) which gets topped off upon delivery. It seems that some newbie technician put the wrong fluid whereby causing this issue.

Atleast the dealer is willing to replace it under warranty. After delivery, take it easy on the transmission for it will require a few hundred miles of break-in. Warm up the car atleast 1 minute before putting it in gear.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. They gave no reason for why it failed, said this was the first ever reported.

As to "willing to replace", I had only owned the car for 4 days. I had not even broken in the engine, so basically I'm starting from scratch.

They should give you a new CX-9, but if it cures the problem no worry to get a new one.

I discussed a replacement with the sales mgr but since they can fix this with a new tranny it's really not an option. I will be tracking this according to my states lemon law guidelines. These entitle a replacement if the same issue needs a repair 3 times under warranty in a 2 year period or if the car is out of service for a total of 30 days in the same period. So I'll have problem number 1, and depending on when they replace the tranny, the car will be out of service for 10-14 days already.

If they're replacing the Transmission with a brand spanking new one, it is okay. These Japanese (Aisin Seiki Co, Ltd) transmissions are very strong and go into numerous high end cars such as Audi, Cadillac CTS, STS, BMW 5 & 7-series and several Hybrids.

This is most likely a Technician error.

Got the car back

Well got my CX-9 back yesterday. Seems to be running fine. They told us to treat it as new again and try to reset our impressions.

Dealer installed a set of roof rails for our troubles.

Well got my CX-9 back yesterday. Seems to be running fine. They told us to treat it as new again and try to reset our impressions.

Dealer installed a set of roof rails for our troubles.

FWIW, that was very nice of your dealer. I paid $300 for roof rails & crossbars, installed. As they say, All's well that ends well...

Back