New transmission at 32k Miles

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
Sooo. I had this dog-whistle kind of noise after driving about 15 to twenty minutes or so. Started at around 35 mph and ended at around 20 mph. Thought it might have been a brake wear indicator or something. Trans also started to seep oil a little around the pan area. Brought it in to the dealer to have them check it out. Got a call a few hours ago and was told I needed a new transmission. Wow. They ordered one and will be here in 10 days. Thank God for warranties. Had absolutely no warning signs whatsoever other than this high pitch whine.

Good for you it was still under warranty. Just for giggles, ask what the charges would have been if you didn't have a warranty when you pick it up.

Sounds like an transmission input shaft bearing went south. Sorry it happened to your vehicle.

Sounds like an transmission input shaft bearing went south. Sorry it happened to your vehicle.

Yep, things break once in a while. Just glad it didn't leave me stranded. Hopefully the replacement will have all the latest and greatest. Meanwhile, I get to enjoy the fully loaded Mazda 6 they're loaning me. Sweet ride!

Last edited:
Did it sound like a turbo?
Yeah, kind of like that, except there was no variation in sound or pitch. I would hear it around 35 mph, and then slowing down it would stop at 25 mph. Only after driving for a while, probably after things got hot.
It’s kind of funny because when I dropped off the vehicle I mentioned the noise as an afterthought. I brought it in because of the trans leak and to have the hood reglued, and for the TSB regarding the USB playback, and I’m going to end up with another transmission along with everything else.

Last edited:
Got my vehicle back today, they got the new trans on Monday and installed it yesterday, fast work. TSB 05-005/15 was cited on the SR, something about unmodified case internals. "Whistling/whining" noise is gone. Had about 4 issues I had mentioned and they fixed them all. I'm not a big fan of dealerships but this one has competent people.

TSB 05-005/15

http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics...om-automatic-transaxle-2012-2014-mazda-models

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2012-2014 Mazda3 with VINS lower than JM1BM1K73E1144608 (produced before November 11, 2013)

2013-2014 CX-5 with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

2014 Mazda6 with VINS lower than JM1GJ1U60E1158307 (produced before November 12, 2013)

Some customers may complain of a whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above. The noise:

Depends on the vehicle’s speed only (the more speed, the more noise)
Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)
Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature
This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case. A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the serial number 3TR1111680 and higher or 3TD1104906 and higher. The serial number can be found on top of the transaxle case near the manual shaft lever.

According to the site listed this falls under powertrain warranty 5 years/60k miles. Mine is a low VIN (manu around 07/2012) but I do not have this issue.

Brand new '16 CX-5 owner here (less than 48 hours ago!) and I'm already hearing the same whistle noise between 25-35 mph. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight but they told me that they've never heard of this issue before which seems fishy since this has been a reported recall issue. I won't jump to any conclusions yet. You all will be first to be updated.

Brand new '16 CX-5 owner here (less than 48 hours ago!) and I'm already hearing the same whistle noise between 25-35 mph. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight but they told me that they've never heard of this issue before which seems fishy since this has been a reported recall issue. I won't jump to any conclusions yet. You all will be first to be updated.
Keep in mind it's not a recall issue, a TSB has been put out for the problem I had. Whistling noises have been caused by many problems as shown on this forum. Could be brakes, loose trim, etc. Hope they find the problem.

Keep in mind it's not a recall issue, a TSB has been put out for the problem I had. Whistling noises have been caused by many problems as shown on this forum. Could be brakes, loose trim, etc. Hope they find the problem.

Understood. The service manager and I drove around the block and he confirmed that there is a whistle sound that occurs between 20-25 mph -- right after it sinks into 3rd gear. They put it on the lift and found no evidence of leaking. This particular car was built in January (1/15) and sat on the lot for 63 days and barely moved so the service manager thinks it might just be that it needs to be driven more.(eekdance) They're gonna take a few of them out for a spin today and listen for any similar sounds.

Back