New STF SCCA Class Thread

Andy,

I read somewhere that you are putting 5hp over stock with exhaust, cai and tuning, is this accurate?

Thanks

Andres

Andy,

I read somewhere that you are putting 5hp over stock with exhaust, cai and tuning, is this accurate?

Thanks

Andres

Not scientifically measured but essentially correct. I did not do a "before" dyno on my car, but was comparing current state of tune to one I found on the net from a road racer on the same kind of dyno using the same correction factor (but not the same actual dyno).

And that's still retaining the stock catted exhaust manifold. Since that's the biggest choke point in the car, leaving there minimizes the impact of everything else you do.

I'll post mine with a comparison "after" once my header is done.

Great article on the whole STF Class this month in Grassroots Motorsports by Mr. Andy Hollis. (bowdown)

No fair, I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet. I wonder where the distribution facility is. Can't be in FL since I'd be way closer than you and would have gotten it first.

Hmm that is strange. However, in the past I've had friends that live local to me have their issues delivered a week after I received mine. Coincidentally vise-versa has happened occasionally. Think of it this way, it'll give you something to look forward too.

Finally came in yesterday, definately enjoying this issue so far (as usual)!! Interesting to see how with everything laid out on paper the 2 is actually an underdog. I really like these comparison articles (STR first, now STF). Funny thing is I got my '99 miata shortly before the STR issue, and my 2 I just purchased in June.

Header p0rn...

Big thanks to Laivins Race Cars, Burns Stainless, and Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Also wanted to give a shout-out to Mike Allen at Mazda Motorsports who worked through the Mazda heirarchy to get us cam specs for the 2, which is a key ingredient to the X-Design process.

Headed to dyno later this week, courtesy of UpRev

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a wicked looking header...looks awfully heavy though with all that piping (and expensive). Don't forget to post up the next dyno result! That muffler looks pretty sizeable, I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't super loud. What's the outlet diameter on that header? Looks wide.

Exhaust is not that loud, at least to me. Can hardly tell it is running at idle. It will easily pass national sound regs for autocross, as the same setup was below 90db on my ST Civic. Limit is 100. Would be annoying on the street, though, as it has the usual drone at 3000. I'll fab up an out-the-back extension for off-season daily use. I will say that it sounds amazing from 4000 and up.

As for weight, the header is 18 gauge 304 stainless so it ends up being a couple lbs lighter than the OE catted manifold. Total system weight with the spun cat is a couple lbs less than the previous system (OE manifold->2.25" downpipe->Burns->dump).

Collector outlet is 2", transition to 2.25 happens at the exit of the cat. Would have used 2" all through, but we already had the muffler.

As for availability and cost, Andris will make more if people really want them, but it will be very expensive. This project was done for a GRM article to promote Burns' X-Design parametric header design process with third-party fabrication. So there were some deals made...but it still cost me a pretty penny. Laivins is a first-class race car fab shop, and you pay for that level of expertice.

FYI, that muffler was a leftover from the GRM test we did here.

Also wanted to give a shout-out to Mike Allen at Mazda Motorsports who worked through the Mazda heirarchy to get us cam specs for the 2, which is a key ingredient to the X-Design process.

Last edited:
That x-design program sounds pretty cool. Kinda makes me want to start over and get an engineering degree. Looks like we'll find out the limits of what these motors are capable of with just bolt-ons(albeit expensive ones).

Header p0rn...

Big thanks to Laivins Race Cars, Burns Stainless, and Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Headed to dyno later this week, courtesy of UpRev

IMG_6168.jpg
Now that is a nice piece of fab work! I really like how smooth the bends are... it is about as straight as it could be. I would love to be able to afford that quality, but I doubt I could justify the cost. I know you have to pay to play though! :D
Anyway, thanks for posting finished product, I am anxiously awaiting the full results with the parts installed and the tuning done. It will be great to see what the 2 is capable of power-wise with the bolt-ons you have.

Over the weekend we tested with the DSC/ABS fuse (30amp) pulled to see if it would help with the ice mode issues we've had when braking while a rear wheel is off the ground. In short, it works for that. But it also makes the car more unstable in aggressive transitions. Probably due to the EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) being off-line. This will take some learning, so it feels like something to play with more in the off-season. For now, we've gone back to running with just the DSC switched off on the dash and trying to brake in a straight line.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuse. Ive been having Michael Occhipinti codrive the car (im learning!) and he caught on pretty quick the abs was still activated and told him about the fuse...now I can for warn him about the extras with pulling it.

Back