New P. E. P/Pope Downpipe and turbo manifolds.

I've had it for about 5k miles. I welded the motherfucker everywhere. When it comes back off for any reason, I'm planing the surface. It was warped and requires me to use two OBX manifold gaskets. Had I not been in a hurry, I'd have done so initially.

what are his opinions on it?
So far so good, at first you could smell some plastic melting as it has no heat shield but that happens with any aftermarket mani if you don't put a shield on it. As Preferio says it does need to be planed true, we did that before installing. Aside from the stainless turning purple the mani seems to be holding up thus far.
His car doesn't have as many mods so I can't say for sure if it makes any more power over the stock mani, probably comparable.

I will say that the runner material is thin. If I run the car really hard at night and immediately pop the hood, it's glowing. Not bright orange, but definitely glowing.

Well I guess that makes me feel better about the Chinese mani. If I can get 1 year out of it, I feel I got my $200 worth.

I think these are too expensive for him to have stock. Once you pay he would order it I guess.

My.mistake. looks like he has like 25 to sell!

10665056_832697643430345_3923716725358954895_n.jpg
looking good

thats badass lol. guess i better get to work paying for a dif and exhaust.....

Chris posted the following as a comment on one of the pics of his car below and I think it deserves a more prominent location.

"Hey Everyone, the picture you see here is of my MSP with 60k miles on it. I've had it since 30k. It was bone stock except for an SLS midpipe I installed when the stocker broke in two. I’ve been a fan of Tom’s downpipe and was waiting for the time I’d need to overhaul the exhaust. Fortunately my timing worked out as the stock manifold began to fail as well. I’m near Tom’s shop so this made me a perfect candidate for the test manifold. It didn’t hurt the car was basically stock and never beaten either. I picked up a used CS 80mm exhaust and headed to the shop.

I can attest, fitment is absolutely flawless. We didn’t have to persuade the EGR or any of the lines. I’ve seen the manifold up close. It is a durable piece that is going to last. The flanges and walls are thick and the cast was fully filled. It is my opinion no one should be buying a stock replacement or tubular one. You just can’t beat how bulletproof this thing is. All hardware used is the best of materials.

The manifold runners are port-matched to the head/gasket. They are 20% bigger. Tom works to exacting measurements; this is no “eye-ball it” shop, he uses a caliper exclusively. No doubt this is how the manifold is a drop-in replacement. Installation is “reverse of removal” aside from easier-than-stock bolt access with Tom’s recommended tools.

Everything sealed right up, no exhaust issues. The only mods on the car is the prototype manifold, a brand new stock turbo (we broke a stud during removal – this was my fault after driving the car at 100+ through PA for an extended period of time), Tom’s 3” downpipe with flex, straight into an adapted CS 80mm removing the stock/restricted flange. To repeat, this is 20% greater runner volume, to less restrictive 3” DP, to 80mm (3.1”) exhaust without a cat, completely stock tune. I have no idea what amount of boost the wastegate is set to at this time.

Now the part you’ve wanted to know – how is it?

Perfect. When you turn the key it declaratively barks this isn’t a stock MSP, however this quickly quiets down at idle. Think of it like when you hear a Lambo start. It is quieter in the engine bay and much cooler (even without a heat shield) due to the materials in use and freed up exhaust. Inside the cabin is likely just as quiet at idle. I believe quieter than when it rolled off the assembly (Callaway?) line. Open the throttle and you’re treated to an authoritative note with no rasp. Tom already mentioned, boost builds sooner and much more smoothly. It is deceptively smooth. There is no delay in what your foot selects and the turbo response. The biggest surprise is that where the heave of boost started to peter out this thing just keeps on going straight to redline. I used my favorite onramps that I drive every day and saw a 10 mph positive difference in merging speed. If you’ve driven back roads you know how there is skill in keeping the car in its power band. Now you just select the gear and mash the gas till it’s time to shift at redline. Downshift into the next lower gear and go, no more “is this the best gear just after the heave of power but before it wheezes?” like before.

I’ll be getting a SSAFC soon to help smooth the fuel and timing. My plan is to get it installed then take a baseline run at the dyno then tune up from there. You should have a “close to stock” pull and a tuned pull soon.

To reiterate, I have seen no negative effects with this manifold and believe it is the last one you will ever need to buy, with performance improvements to boot! Plus it comes with a great color-changing surprise."

This is not my mani so I can not speak on it yet though I have ordered mine. Im out just to replace the stocker one with something that looks stock due to cali law. all though after the color change now I believe I will have to create a nice heat shield or use our stock one some how...

That looks really good, Pope has quite the talent! My only aesthetic complaint is the EGR port, but whatever.. at least it's functional and bolts right up to stock.

Any idea what kind of hardware he used on that first install? You know if it comes with the mani?

It's really too bad he's not on the forum anymore :(

Chris posted the following as a comment on one of the pics of his car below and I think it deserves a more prominent location.

"Hey Everyone, the picture you see here is of my MSP with 60k miles on it. I've had it since 30k. It was bone stock except for an SLS midpipe I installed when the stocker broke in two. I’ve been a fan of Tom’s downpipe and was waiting for the time I’d need to overhaul the exhaust. Fortunately my timing worked out as the stock manifold began to fail as well. I’m near Tom’s shop so this made me a perfect candidate for the test manifold. It didn’t hurt the car was basically stock and never beaten either. I picked up a used CS 80mm exhaust and headed to the shop.

I can attest, fitment is absolutely flawless. We didn’t have to persuade the EGR or any of the lines. I’ve seen the manifold up close. It is a durable piece that is going to last. The flanges and walls are thick and the cast was fully filled. It is my opinion no one should be buying a stock replacement or tubular one. You just can’t beat how bulletproof this thing is. All hardware used is the best of materials.

The manifold runners are port-matched to the head/gasket. They are 20% bigger. Tom works to exacting measurements; this is no “eye-ball it” shop, he uses a caliper exclusively. No doubt this is how the manifold is a drop-in replacement. Installation is “reverse of removal” aside from easier-than-stock bolt access with Tom’s recommended tools.

Everything sealed right up, no exhaust issues. The only mods on the car is the prototype manifold, a brand new stock turbo (we broke a stud during removal – this was my fault after driving the car at 100+ through PA for an extended period of time), Tom’s 3” downpipe with flex, straight into an adapted CS 80mm removing the stock/restricted flange. To repeat, this is 20% greater runner volume, to less restrictive 3” DP, to 80mm (3.1”) exhaust without a cat, completely stock tune. I have no idea what amount of boost the wastegate is set to at this time.

Now the part you’ve wanted to know – how is it?

Perfect. When you turn the key it declaratively barks this isn’t a stock MSP, however this quickly quiets down at idle. Think of it like when you hear a Lambo start. It is quieter in the engine bay and much cooler (even without a heat shield) due to the materials in use and freed up exhaust. Inside the cabin is likely just as quiet at idle. I believe quieter than when it rolled off the assembly (Callaway?) line. Open the throttle and you’re treated to an authoritative note with no rasp. Tom already mentioned, boost builds sooner and much more smoothly. It is deceptively smooth. There is no delay in what your foot selects and the turbo response. The biggest surprise is that where the heave of boost started to peter out this thing just keeps on going straight to redline. I used my favorite onramps that I drive every day and saw a 10 mph positive difference in merging speed. If you’ve driven back roads you know how there is skill in keeping the car in its power band. Now you just select the gear and mash the gas till it’s time to shift at redline. Downshift into the next lower gear and go, no more “is this the best gear just after the heave of power but before it wheezes?” like before.

I’ll be getting a SSAFC soon to help smooth the fuel and timing. My plan is to get it installed then take a baseline run at the dyno then tune up from there. You should have a “close to stock” pull and a tuned pull soon.

To reiterate, I have seen no negative effects with this manifold and believe it is the last one you will ever need to buy, with performance improvements to boot! Plus it comes with a great color-changing surprise."
It turned his MSP into a Lambo huh? Lol this is quite a response. Somehow I doubt driving the car in 100 degree weather made one of the exhaust studs snap, nor does Callaway have an assembly line (cars were built in Japan and turbos were installed by Mazda techs in the US). But it's good to hear it's a nice manifold.

MY GAWD THAT'S FCKN' GORGEOUS I want to hear what your describing CHIQLES! Post a video please; if you would be so kind!(2thumbs)

hopefully the dyno results will be run back to back with a stock manifold and factory, or at least a control exhaust. wouldnt be much point of the only dyno is with all the mods he did which is pretty much everything from gasket to back of the car. save turbo.

if i get mine and the car is running ill prob do this. as my stock exhaust is still on it, and not full of holes. just too bad it costs like $150 to stick the car on the roller for 3 pulls.. of course, i dont have my split second anymore either, so it really would be a bone stock msp with only fmic heh.

my big thing is if flows 20% more exhaust then what it going to do for us who have built motors and running bigger turbos?

Bumpity bump.

The manifolds are finished and in stock. I believe Pope has around 25 of them still up for grabs. They are truly works of art and look indestructible. I'm excited to receive mine and more than ready for the annoying exhaust leak from my stocker to be gone.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE MODS: I am in no way affiliated with Tom Pope or his business; I'm simply a customer of his spreading the word of what looks to be a fantastic product for our cars. Thanks.

Back