New owner of a 2010 Mazda5 GT, Love it, but frustrated with DVD error, and AUX input

LSEric

Hi, I just bought a 2010 Mazda5 GT last weekend with 36k on it. So far, I love driving the car. I've been driving a '99 pathfinder since '01 and finally needed to replace it.

I have the original window sticker & it looks like the original owner added just about every upgrade. Nav system, DVD Entertainment system, Satellite radio, Auto-Dim homelink mirror, the works.

But...

I can't get the DVD player to work. It did briefly work at the dealership, but not continuously. Now whenever I put in a DVD I get the error "Bad Disc" on screen.
Any idea how to fix this? I'd prefer to not replace the whole unit if it can be salvaged. I don't know if switching out the laser is an option or not.

So, since we are taking a road trip for Easter and I can't get the DVD player to play DVD's, I figured the least I could do was use a portable DVD player and connect it to the monitor via the RCA cables in the back and run the audio through the OEM AUX Input. Well, the video works but I cannot get the AUX Input to recognize the DVD player's audio. Actually, I can't get it to recognize my iPod, iPhone or anything. I've tried 3 devices and two different male-to-male 3.5 mm cables with no luck.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I've tried searching this and other forums for hours with no luck.

Attachments

• Nav_screen_questions.jpg
    Nav_screen_questions.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 323
  • badDisc.jpg
    badDisc.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Pull up on the cupholder to pop it loose and then take out the panel with the AUX in port.

My used 2012 Mazda5 had the AUX port cable disconnected from the port - presumably by a tech that was in there fiddling with the GPS system from the rental fleet. AUX port won't work so well without the cable behind it plugged in!

If "AUX1" doesn't highlight as if it can be chosen when a stereo cable is plugged in the port, then something is disconnected between the port and the head unit, assuming there's not a fuse associated with that port of course. It should look like yours until something is plugged in.

Regarding your other questions, you make the iPod thing active by installing the iPod kit at the dealer. If the dealer just follows the basic instructions, they will tell you that Sat radio will have to be disconnected for the iPod kit to work, but I remember a member posting that their intelligent dealer was able to manage a workaround to that. My '09 does not have the "BT-Audio" icon so I'm not sure on that. It's possible that you have iPod and/or BT kits and your aux port has been intentionally disconnected to accommodate them. It boils down to inputs into the head unit. I think it only has two, so on my car we have Sat and aux and would have to give up one to have the iPod kit because my dealer is an idiot.

Good luck and please update the thread so that we can add your experience to the pool of knowledge.

Last edited:
Your BT Icon is most likly "Blue Tooth" which is a radio wave form of connect. ( Like for your phone or Headset or other Blue tooth enabled device. )

Bad disk may be a result of just needing a "Lens Cleaning". Might just be dusty. Get a lens cleaning disc from a dollar store, for a buck or so, or a $ 30 from an Audio Shop. They look lika a regular CD but with a little brush sticking out of the top surface.

Hope this helps . Best of luck.

Back