New Owner of 2012 CX-9 57k miles

I am reading a lot about the water pump issue. I don’t intend of having the car for very long. I just wanted to improve my credit and give my wife and I a solid SUV to use for a couple years.

At what mileage do the water pumps fail on average?
Should I replace the water pump and timing chain now?
I’m new to Mazda. What should I know. Car is super clean. 1 owner. 57k miles. No accident. 2012. Leather. FWD

Thanks in advance.

Timing chain check around 80/ 100k normally unless obvious issues ( noise etc) - service parts usually easily available - water pumps are usually fairly reliable in my experience - just ensure coolant is changed at the specified service intervals etc most issues arise with water pumps prematurely when coolant contaminated or oxidised - never top up with water….they are not vastly expensive in UK - Japanese car spares Mazda , Toyota etc available at many outlets may be worth having tested around 45K - flow tested

New Owner of 2012 CX9 57k miles

At what mileage do the water pumps fail on average?
There is no set #. From what I have seen, most seem to fail at lower mileage (60-110k), bet some fail at much higher mileage.

Should I replace the water pump and timing chain now?
Your call. I have 267,000km (166,000mi) on mine, and still on the original pump and timing gear. My plan is to let it be, and fix it when it goes. The trick is to be aware of what could happen, so if and when it does go, you can (hopefully) have an engine that can be repaired vs being replaced. I watch the engine temp like a hawk!

Does anyone know how rapidly the water pump fails? From the time it begins leaking until the time the engine grinds to an expensive halt? Can careful observation of the coolant level (observe at a consistent temperature) and observation of the oil condition looking for milkyness caused by coolant, can these spot a water pump failure before the engine is junk? (Detergents in the engine oil cause water to emulsify and never settle to the bottom unless the amount of water is huge.)

Poly, the problems are (a) that the waterpump fails and leaks coolant into the engine. The coolant mixes with the engine oil, does not lubricate the engine properly, and the engine is ruined. The engine replacement job probably costs more than the car is worth. (b) The other problem is that the engine must be removed to replace the water pump before failure. The water pump replacement (before the engine is ruined) is expensive.

If you reasonably adept and patient the water pump can be accessed without engine removal but does involve removing ancillaries for access - dealers remove engines to charge - and it is quicker for them to lift engine with equipment at hand - 9 out of 10 times they remove bonnet partially lift above car and tilt - never gets as far as bench 🙄 if pump is showing signs of leakage it is a ticking time bomb 💣for you engine via contamination or overheating + oxidation of coolant / corrosion etc. - it needs changing ASAP - Ps. These engines can be good for over 200k if looked after and if generally in good condition elsewhere it is worth either the time or shop around for quotes away from main dealers ( respected motor engineers etc.)

Th
If you reasonably adept and patient the water pump can be accessed without engine removal but does involve removing ancillaries for access - dealers remove engines to charge - and it is quicker for them to lift engine with equipment at hand - 9 out of 10 times they remove bonnet partially lift above car and tilt - never gets as far as bench 🙄 if pump is showing signs of leakage it is a ticking time bomb 💣for you engine via contamination or overheating + oxidation of coolant / corrosion etc. - it needs changing ASAP - Ps. These engines can be good for over 200k if looked after and if generally in good condition elsewhere it is worth either the time or shop around for quotes away from main dealers ( respected motor engineers etc.)

I will start looking around for quotes from respected motor engineeres thanks

FYI.....

Capture.JPG

Capture002.JPG

Back