New MS3 owner, noticing smell from hood

mpetruzz

So I just picked up my MS3 today. After driving around for a while I got home and noticed a burnt smell coming from the hood area. If I smell by the hood scoop I can smell it pretty strong.

It's a 2012 with 20K on her. I'm hoping that it's just from the cleaning stuff they used to pretty the car up before I picked it up.

Any suggestions/troubleshooting ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Only your nose can find it. Smell can't be photographed, videoed or sound recorded. There are hundreds of normal and abnormal smells that can emit from the engine bay. Use your nose to identify the source, or take it to the dealer.

My thought would be someone used Armorall or similar on the engine plastics. Feel them for an oily texture or something similar. Also, poke around for any coolant or oil leaks. Pull the splash tray and look over the block.

I am also facing the same issue with my mazda cx 5. I read out interesting and informative ideas here. Sure this will be helpful for me in this regard. thanks everyone...

My roommate works at a Mazda dealership. He can verify that the almost clutch-like smell comes from the dressing they put all over new car engine bays. it's sprayed on before it's wiped in. when that spray hits warm metal it's something terrible. But the stuff evaporates off of the plastic after a while and this produces that smell. If you want to re-shine it, I'd recommend GUNK Brand engine shine. It doesn't smell nearly as offensive.

Back