New here

VRCX5

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech & IActivesense
Hey everyone! I just bought my 2016 CX-5 AWD GT with both the tech and I-Activesense packages in Soul Red in December. I've got a bit over 3k miles on it and I've loved every one of them!

I bought it to replace my 2005 WRX wagon that finally kicked the bucket after 155k miles. I loved that car and it was a hard decision to sell it rather than fix it. I bought it new and spent 11 years modifying every part of it to be my perfect daily driver and all-rounder. It was my daily commuter and our family truckster, but also great fun in the Colorado mountains - snow, rain or shine.

Needless to say those were some tough shoes to fill. I did tons of research looking for something that could replace it. I needed something AWD that I could commute every day in the snow in the Denver winter (50 miles each day from one end of town to the other); I needed space for my daughter and her crap; I wanted to stay in the sub-$35k range; I wanted fancy tech bells and whistles; it needed to be nice to look at; and most of all I wanted it to be fun to drive! All of this ruled out most everything but the CX-5. So I drove it and was hooked. Sure it lacks the power of my stage 2 WRX, but I couldn't imagine any other new car being even remotely as fun to drive while still having this much utility and comfort. The bang for the buck factor is extremely high

Sorry, I tend to ramble. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for this site. I've been lurking since I bought it and have already learned a ton about my new ride. This seems like a great place and I hope to contribute as I learn some more. I plan to slowly do some small mods as I get bored and eventually make it my own. To that end, I did have a couple questions:

Has anyone had problems lowering one with the I-Activesense package? Does it mess with any of the sensors?
Can the front emblem be painted? I know mine has the cover with the IA package so I'm not sure if I should mess with it? I'm sure it can't be removed completely...or can it?
And I was going to ask about getting text messages but I just got that answered in a thread tonight so thanks!(nana)

Oh, and of course I can't pass up any opportunity to ***** out pictures of my previous automotive joy:
887ed75f-9217-441a-9d36-c1da716987b1_zpsdo4fycfy.jpg

03945468-b1f0-4b01-b1c0-dbb7df6ba558_zpswhqurorc.jpg

Welcome!

155k is nothing though. What died!?

Also, did you cross-shop the 2.0XT Forester? What did you find superior about the CX-5? Just curious.

Have you looked at mods for the cx-5? Looks like you made do with a lower ride already.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Welcome!

155k is nothing though. What died!?

Also, did you cross-shop the 2.0XT Forester? What did you find superior about the CX-5? Just curious.

A valve went through the head and killed cylinder #4. It had a hard life. I had been stage 2 since 36,001 miles (which pretty much maxes out the stock turbo) and I wasn't easy on it. I took care of it, but I drove it hard. I was happy with 155k miles - oh and somehow I was still on the stock clutch! The rest of the car was in great shape so my mechanic actually bought it from me and has already rebuilt it as his daily driver so I can still see it and drive it if I need my fix.

I did look at the Forester. The interior wasn't nearly as nice - I'd characterize it as more utilitarian. I wanted more luxury this go-around. And MikeM is right it just didn't have the same feel of the CX-5 when driving. Plus the prices of Subaru's here in Colorado is ridiculous and no dealer will cut you any slack so price was definitely part of it too. And frankly it doesn't look nearly as good as the CX-5. The one place it outpaced the CX-5 was the power. Don't get me wrong the CX-5 is peppy enough, but the Forester just felt much quicker. And who doesn't love a turbo boxer?

Have you looked at mods for the cx-5? Looks like you made do with a lower ride already.

Yup. I'm looking at the H&R's. I love the look of the Corksports but but I don't think I can sacrifice that much drivability. I'd love something more in the middle - around a 2.25" drop all around I think would be perfect. But my goal for this is to keep it very livable as a daily driver. I've had my fair share of cars slammed with crappy rides. I'll save that for my toy. This is my daily driver. I want something that is comfortable and reliable, but also separates itself a bit from the others on the road. So it'll be simple, subtle mods for me. But for now I'm loving it out of the box, so I'll keep it stock until I get bored.

Hey everyone! and most of all I wanted it to be fun to drive! All of this ruled out most everything but the CX-5. So I drove it and was hooked. Sure it lacks the power of my stage 2 WRX, but I couldn't imagine any other new car being even remotely as fun to drive while still having this much utility and comfort. The bang for the buck factor is extremely high

Welcome. It looks like we both found our way to the CX-5 for the same reason. A good crossover SUV that is FUN. Did you look on page one of your manual where it explains Zoom Zoom? Mazda actually has a employee whose only job is to make sure that every Mazda model has the Zoom Zoom.

Welcome... (drinks)

I too came from a wrx wagon, but mine was a 06. I had close to 130K with stage 2 setup before I sold it and picked up a cx-5. Need more room to haul stuff and wanted something different.

Congrats on the purchase! Im sure you'll love it as much as I do once you get over that higher ride height.

btw this was my wrx.

757_full.jpg

^^Nice! I don't know how you got through the Chicago winters being that low plus a lip. I'm assuming you were on coilovers - did you raise it up in the winter? Do I spy WedsSports? And is that CGM too? The best mod I ever did to my wagon was delete the roof racks. It made a dramatic improvement in the profile view.

BTW I still haven't sold the wheels off my WRX, so if anyone knows someone looking for a set please let them know. They're forged Prodrive GC-010e 18x7.5 +48 5x100 with near-new 225/40/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport rubber.

Good to see others in my boat.

Welcome to the asylum!

>>Has anyone had problems lowering one with the I-Activesense package? Does it mess with any of the sensors?<<

I also have i-Activsense and the owner's manual has a number of warnings in it about the car being lower than usual interfering with sensor operation. YMMV.

>>Can the front emblem be painted? I know mine has the cover with the IA package so I'm not sure if I should mess with it? I'm sure it can't be removed completely...or can it?<<

I wouldn't mess with it, the radar unit for the MRCC is behind the emblem.

^^Thanks for that. I'm not ready to mess with anything yet, just gathering information at this point. It sounds like I need to read the manual. (thought)

^^Nice! I don't know how you got through the Chicago winters being that low plus a lip. I'm assuming you were on coilovers - did you raise it up in the winter? Do I spy WedsSports? And is that CGM too? The best mod I ever did to my wagon was delete the roof racks. It made a dramatic improvement in the profile view.

BTW I still haven't sold the wheels off my WRX, so if anyone knows someone looking for a set please let them know. They're forged Prodrive GC-010e 18x7.5 +48 5x100 with near-new 225/40/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport rubber.

Good to see others in my boat.

Work XD-9 wheels in bronze 18x9. It was on Tein SS coilovers and I would raise it up for winter and rock the stock wheels with blizzaks. The high mileage was also due to long road trips looking for places to go snowboarding so I loved the roof rails. I actually installed the OEM roof rails on my CX-5 so I can haul my Thule box around.

Mazda actually has a employee whose only job is to make sure that every Mazda model has the Zoom Zoom.

Is that Dave Coleman? I read that he used to be an editor, then his test driving and feedbacks made Mazda tweaks their design, and now he's test driving every Mazda to ensure the "human" factor.

Yes, Here is the article
Product Excellence,” a sort of Ministry of Fun

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/former-car-writer-has-dream-job-mazda-rd#ixzz417slEQTz

Thanks for the article! Now I know I have Dave Coleman to thank for the excellent CX-5 handling!

“The CX-5 had some weird handling quirks at pretty high speeds and high gs. It was nonlinear,” he said.
So Coleman and crew strapped a GoPro to the front of a Mazda 2 and used both to video-chase a CX-5 up Angeles Crest Highway. They showed the video, along with all their notes and suggestions, to Mazda in Japan. Then Japan said, “OK, make the changes.” Now when you drive a CX-5 at the limit, its response is linear, predictable and even, for a crossover SUV, fun.

Wow, I haven't heard the name Dave Coleman in a long time! I was an avid subscriber to SCC back in the 90's and 00's, and it was mostly because of him. After it went away I stopped reading car magazines - they just didn't have the same technical stuff that I loved reading about. Too much fluff. Crazy!

Wow, I haven't heard the name Dave Coleman in a long time! I was an avid subscriber to SCC back in the 90's and 00's, and it was mostly because of him. After it went away I stopped reading car magazines - they just didn't have the same technical stuff that I loved reading about. Too much fluff. Crazy!

I agree 100%!!! Him and Josh Jacquot (another Sport Compact Car journalist) still race together. Glad he now works for Mazda.

Latest posts

Back