New CX5 Owner impressions/questions

I had a bit of a breakthrough on the drifting/tramlining issue. I had my CX5 in to local shop for an oil change. They did a complimentary check of a bunch of areas. After the work, I noticed the steering felt more "solid", with better tracking on any surface. I chatted with the shop and they did not make any adjustments other than adjusting the tire pressure. They set the pressure to 35 pounds,several pounds less than the tire dealer put in when I had them installed. It seems that really solidified the feel of the steering and general tracking on any surface. If you haven't yet, check tire pressure! 35 pounds works well!

Yep. Too much pressure makes a vehicle feel "darty" to me.

Almost got 1000 miles. This is a really nice DBW manual tranny. When I let out the clutch before taking off the engine revs a little bit to reduce any lag time from DBW. The pedal placement is perfect for heel toe downshifting. Only draw back is that I feel disconnected from the engine. It's almost too quiet and too smooth. Suspension feel is excellent and it feels like I am driving a sporty car instead of a CUV. Haven't tried taking it off-road yet, but will update once I do. Gearing is very short. I am already in 6th gear at 40 MPH.

Overall, really liking the CX-5 and hope it doesn't give me any problems.

Almost got 1000 miles. This is a really nice DBW manual tranny. When I let out the clutch before taking off the engine revs a little bit to reduce any lag time from DBW. The pedal placement is perfect for heel toe downshifting. Only draw back is that I feel disconnected from the engine. It's almost too quiet and too smooth. Suspension feel is excellent and it feels like I am driving a sporty car instead of a CUV. Haven't tried taking it off-road yet, but will update once I do. Gearing is very short. I am already in 6th gear at 40 MPH.

Overall, really liking the CX-5 and hope it doesn't give me any problems.

Based on this forum, and other data like CR, etc. it shouldn't give you any. Very few "real" issues have cropped up here. I've found things to niggle over, but that's about it, and I did need a new diff, but it was due to the breather being lower than I suspected, and it taking on water when I went over a part of road with water flowing over it.

I can't see from your profile what model CX-5 you have. Are you aware that the 17" and 19" recommended pressures are different? In other words, I don't know what size tires you are recommending 35 psi for. I have the 17" tires, the Geolander's and some winter tires. I've tried them at a wide variety of pressures and haven't noticed any tendency towards tramlining at any tested pressures (between 32 psi and 42 psi).

Sorry about that, I have a 2015 GT with 2WD. In my case the lower pressure really helped solidify the driving "feel" with 19" Continental Extreme Contacts.

Sorry about that, I have a 2015 GT with 2WD. In my case the lower pressure really helped solidify the driving "feel" with 19" Continental Extreme Contacts.

That is lower than I would expect with the 19" wheels! But every tire and tire size responds a little differently. Be careful to avoid tire impact (pot holes, loose lumber, rocks, etc.) at higher speeds.

That is lower than I would expect with the 19" wheels! But every tire and tire size responds a little differently. Be careful to avoid tire impact (pot holes, loose lumber, rocks, etc.) at higher speeds.

So lower pressure in your tires increases your risk of tire issues with potholes? Winter time here, there are always tons of them. I keep my psi like 38. Was gonna try dropping it but not if that is more dangerous with potholes.

So lower pressure in your tires increases your risk of tire issues with potholes? Winter time here, there are always tons of them. I keep my psi like 38. Was gonna try dropping it but not if that is more dangerous with potholes.

Yes, wheel damage from potholes and other impacts rises dramatically with lower pressures.

Yes, wheel damage from potholes and other impacts rises dramatically with lower pressures.

Not to be nitpicky but clarification, just wheel damage or wheel and tire? In my head the wheel is the rim.

Not to be nitpicky but clarification, just wheel damage or wheel and tire? In my head the wheel is the rim.

Both, but the wheel itself is probably more vulnerable. All CX-5's come with one piece wheels (hub and rim all the same unit). Blowouts are also more likely at lower pressures vs. higher pressures but that's not as much concern at 35 psi.

Both, but the wheel itself is probably more vulnerable. All CX-5's come with one piece wheels (hub and rim all the same unit). Blowouts are also more likely at lower pressures vs. higher pressures but that's not as much concern at 35 psi.

I just checked the manual and indicates 36 pounds is recommended with the 19" wheels.

I just checked the manual and indicates 36 pounds is recommended with the 19" wheels.

So 35 psi is only one pound less than recommended. That would only make a small difference in the amount of impact it would take to cause wheel damage. The 17" tires on Touring and Sport models have 34 psi recommendation but I find 36 psi to give better cornering without tucking in.

So 35 psi is only one pound less than recommended. That would only make a small difference in the amount of impact it would take to cause wheel damage. The 17" tires on Touring and Sport models have 34 psi recommendation but I find 36 psi to give better cornering without tucking in.

+1 I have 19" wheels and find the recommended 36 psi works well for handling and (even) tire wear.

Back