New CX-5 Headunit Master Thread

babaoriley7

:
2014 CX-5
Seems like there are a few threads out there talking about swapping out a factory headunit for an aftermarket unit. I have a few more questions, but I thought it might be useful to summarize what others have found all in one place.

If I have an OEM back up camera, will it lose functionality if I replace the headunit?

best answer (not conclusive) from Bcdad182: A camera is a camera, will only have two signal wires (if it is analog that is) all you need to do is isolate the positive and negative signal wires. It should be a simple matter of taping into the feed. Of course the not-so simple part is finding the feed in the first place. It may be less aggravating to install a camera that is known to be compatible and running a new feed from there.

Does anyone make a kit for an aftermarket headunit?

Double Din: 95-7522B
Single Din: 99-7522B

What do I need to buy in addition to the headunit itself

Steering wheel control interface
Per Mongo2004, the metra axxess ASWC works. Crutchfield recommends: PAC RP4-MZ11 Mazda Radio Replacement Interface

Honda Antenna Adapter
Per Mongo2004: ... If you go the metra site; its this one http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-HD10. You have to make sure you power it with 12 v. Just come off the radio power antenna wire and wire it to the blue wire on the honda adapter and you are good to go. Oh btw, I have the sport and also replace the crappy radio. You might want to make sure he has everything grounded properly also

One of the above single or double din kits

Install instructions and wiring diagram are found in this link: Aftermarket-Stereo Sorry, can't figure out how to attach files directly. See user CASPAN's post #12

If I've made any errors, let me know and I'll adjust the top post.

I have two questions that I hope someone can help answer.

Crutchfield suggests that I will lose functionality in the arm rest USB and auxillary inputs, can this be confirmed? YES the arm rest USB is not functional after replacing the head unit.

Some units allow for pass through use of a cell phone based navigation such as WAZE? Any reviews? Using a pioneer. Works. Supposedly can run with music on as well but I haven't figured out all the quirks yet. It is very quirky. Not a direct replacement for a factory nav unit.

Last edited:
If you want to pass through use a phone just confirm that your aftermarket radio had the mirrorlink capability, as well as your phone. (Galaxy S3 has)
If you are on the Touchscreen Mazda unit, what you will loose is the capability of setting up specficic light/door locking/wipers settings that are under "Vehicle" tab on settings

If you are on the Touchscreen Mazda unit, what you will loose is the capability of setting up specficic light/door locking/wipers settings that are under "Vehicle" tab on settings

And this is the dealbreaker for me.

If you want to pass through use a phone just confirm that your aftermarket radio had the mirrorlink capability, as well as your phone. (Galaxy S3 has)

Looks like AppRadio might be a solution for the IOS users out there. We will see in a month or so. I'll report back.

Re: settings: this is definitely something to be aware of... for us Sport trim without the bluetooth package owners, this is almost a necessity. The stock headunit on that car feels like it is about 5 years old - ancient in terms of technology.

@rcs914, could you set the settings how you want them and then make the change? then again, you wouldn't gain a whole lot, better audio, a few more bells and whistles...

Has anyone seen the head units for the CX-5 on eBay? I've got a Sport model so I'm stuck with the basic head unit. I'm considering this unit, but would prefer not being the first to try it out.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It seems that this unit does integrate with steering wheel controls. Not sure about the ability to adjust the car settings, but since I don't have access to that with my current unit I can't complain much. Pictures on eBay seem to indicate that it might be able to adjust the vehicle settings. One picture shows "vehicle info" on the screen which I would think would be used to adjust the lights, locks, etc.

I'd go with a more reliable manufacturer personally. A random ebay auction that doesn't post the brand is bound to be low quality. I've seen several options that aren't too much more expensive (assuming that this auction has all the necessary components). I'm looking at this one: AVH-X5500BHS

Has anyone seen the head units for the CX-5 on eBay? I've got a Sport model so I'm stuck with the basic head unit. I'm considering this unit, but would prefer not being the first to try it out.

All I need to say is this: "Why need buy car dvd player ?" lol

I'm with babaoriley7 on this, I'd rather stay with known brands and places such as Crutchfield or Sonic Eletronix.

As for the stock HU, I'd say it's 10 years old tech wise, my 6 year old Alpine XDA-001 is a decent interface for the iPod/iPhone ecosystem. I just completed a Mazda customer survey and I let them know that the OEM HU was substandard and that i was open for further comment if they wished to contact me. (And I will mention that others have issues with higher level trims as well and that maybe they should read through forums such as this...)

As for the loss of USB/aux connection from the armrest, I suspect this maybe a fact as the connection to the HU is non-standard and part of the multi-pin connector. Granted you could single out those leads and splice in a proper connector, but that's a bit much me thinks...

Last edited:
Looks like AppRadio might be a solution for the IOS users out there. We will see in a month or so. I'll report back.

Re: settings: this is definitely something to be aware of... for us Sport trim without the bluetooth package owners, this is almost a necessity. The stock headunit on that car feels like it is about 5 years old - ancient in terms of technology.

@rcs914, could you set the settings how you want them and then make the change? then again, you wouldn't gain a whole lot, better audio, a few more bells and whistles...

Be careful with IOS. Some of the APP radios can only accept Iphone 4 or 4S video. Apple, in their wonderful way, decided to take out analog video in the iphone 5 and the lightening connector. So if you want a radio that does video (for Waze GPS etc) You need to make sure the radio can accept an HDMI input or get an interface that will convert a digital signal to analog.

On another note, I use Motion X GPS for use with my JVC radio (havent tried WAZE)

Be careful with IOS. Some of the APP radios can only accept Iphone 4 or 4S video. Apple, in their wonderful way, decided to take out analog video in the iphone 5 and the lightening connector. So if you want a radio that does video (for Waze GPS etc) You need to make sure the radio can accept an HDMI input or get an interface that will convert a digital signal to analog.

On another note, I use Motion X GPS for use with my JVC radio (havent tried WAZE)

Ah, good old apple. It looks like all of Pioneer's 2013 lineup includes an (expensive) option to get Iphone 5 compatible.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It seems that this unit does integrate with steering wheel controls. Not sure about the ability to adjust the car settings, but since I don't have access to that with my current unit I can't complain much. Pictures on eBay seem to indicate that it might be able to adjust the vehicle settings. One picture shows "vehicle info" on the screen which I would think would be used to adjust the lights, locks, etc.

DO NOT buy those junk units from china. I was dumb enough to buy one years ago on another CUV and it sucked. screen was dim as hell, map updates are a joke, and so unreliable. plus if you have issues, you'll have a few months of waiting/shipping it back. Go to crutchfield and spend the extra $.

As for the stock HU, I'd say it's 10 years old tech wise, my 6 year old Alpine XDA-001 is a decent interface for the iPod/iPhone ecosystem. I just completed a Mazda customer survey and I let them know that the OEM HU was substandard and that i was open for further comment if they wished to contact me. (And I will mention that others have issues with higher level trims as well and that maybe they should read through forums such as this...)

Agreed -- I've had an XDA-001 for a number of years too. While it's iPhone integration isn't flawless, it still seems to be a better system that what's offered by even the top end OEM head unit for the CX-5.

Since I'm still in the market for my CX-5, I've about decided to skip the GT and instead find a base Touring model. Then I can put part of the cost difference into adding something like the Alpine INE-W927HD. I expect I'd be happier with the sound quality and GPS features with that unit as well.

Another poster and I are working on finding a unit that replaces the tom tom and lets android phones stream directly to the stock lcd screen. There are a few options. Would anyone be interested in being added onto the PM thread?

I would be very interested if such a unit could be found

1) WP9900 from Wonder Proud company. is an Android Car Navigation Box running 2.3.5 that can connect to the OEM TouchScreen. This device can output the 480*272 resolution like the Tomtom Nav from Mazda. Additionally you can mirror the signal from your android phone via mirrorlink. I have asked regarding the compatibility of this device to the Mazda CX-5:

"Hi Iker

WP9900 is USD360/pcs including 3G and wifi.

However; for Mazda CX-5 USB navigation,
we’re now on the way developing for USB support on our navigation box.
It could take a while to finish.

Would you like to try WP9900 before the solution is ready?

Best regards,
Rox
Wonde Proud Technology Co. Ltd."

Advantages: Android Engine (for Navigation) + mirroring
Disadvantages: Only Android compatible. I don't know dimensions and perhaps do not fit on the area for the Tomtom NAV system (the place I want to use due to the wire system is already there).

http://www.wondeproud.com/product_16...tfeatures.html

2)MimicsX2. This system is provided as small PCBs. It can mirror HDMI/MHL signals from Phone (via cable) from the device to the Touchscreen. The touch pressing is sent to the phone by bluetooth.
Phone <- Cable HDMI/MHL -> MimicsX2 <-Cable->Touchscreen <-Bluetooth-> Phone
It has a MicroSD slot for future upgrades.

Advantages: Android & Apple IOS mirroring compatible
Price: 209 AUS Dollar
Small enough to fit inside the place for the Mazda Tomtom NAV system.
Disadvantages: Only for mirroring. But it is solved as the phone is the CPU for everything. Supplied as PCBs

http://www.customgadz.com/store/cate...?id_category=2

I have seen a video of somebody using this MimicsX2 without wires by using the Allshare connectivity from Samsung (Galaxy NOte2)

The people is using on the Headunits by opening them and inserting this kind of PCBs connecting them to the Touchscreen signal and connecting back to the touchscreen.
In our case (CX-5) I thicnk we can do it by using the wire set left by Mazda for the NAV system.

we have to know if the wires of the NAVsystem from Mazda are enough to mount this system:
- how many wires to the Touchscreen (2/4/8)
- Voltage..
- Etc..

Thats the message direct from my buddy working on this with me. Some russian have a similar unit running and it's working to stream video. I had posted the video about a month ago. you can youtube it

I guess if you want to replace the tom tom unit, you have to reverse engineer the links from the tom tom unit to the head unit by probing the wires.

I asked people of wp9900 and they told me that the unit they are adapting will be plug and play using the same wires as for the tomtom.

Back