New 2021 CX-5 and no radio or audio, help!

Hi, barely 24 hrs in my 2021 Touring CX-5 and the audio system stopped working. I connected apple play for less than an hour and the audio suddenly stopped. I can see the song in the infotainment screen but no sound. I toggled the volume and it doesn’t even display the volume meter.

After disconnecting apple play, trying Bluetooth, doing a hard reset, still nothing. I can’t even select the radio, I tried selecting FM and nothing happens.

I took a picture of this audio off display, I’m not sure if this is normal?

4BFA180F-CACD-42E4-8729-A5D0337FC6A1.jpeg

I called my service center, and they said it was related to the most recent iOS update. I am dubious, but will try again later today without connecting to my phone
The Mazda service center is blaming the lack of sound from your infotainment system on your phone update?

Upvote 0
I called my service center, and they said it was related to the most recent iOS update. I am dubious, but will try again later today without connecting to my phone
What was the result after eliminating the phone from the equation?

Did you try the radio and/or music from a flash drive?

Upvote 0
No iPhone has ever been paired or even in my car (Android only) and it happens when not using the phone (though admittedly the phone is paired, but not cabled nor streaming audio, just there for phone calls via bluetooth if they come up).

It's either a user interface error where it is poorly designed to allow you to unknowingly get into that state, or (and more likely) just a bug in the Mazda infotainment software. Dealers though are probably going to be worthless troubleshooting as it is intermittent and beyond their abilities to repair besides just reporting back to Mazda developers about it. Going to be tough for them to troubleshoot unless it is actively doing it when it roles into the shop.

Is your issue like the youtube video I posted further above in this thread?

Upvote 0
No iPhone has ever been paired or even in my car (Android only) and it happens when not using the phone (though admittedly the phone is paired, but not cabled nor streaming audio, just there for phone calls via bluetooth if they come up).

It's either a user interface error where it is poorly designed to allow you to unknowingly get into that state, or (and more likely) just a bug in the Mazda infotainment software. Dealers though are probably going to be worthless troubleshooting as it is intermittent and beyond their abilities to repair besides just reporting back to Mazda developers about it. Going to be tough for them to troubleshoot unless it is actively doing it when it roles into the shop.

Is your issue like the youtube video I posted further above in this thread?
My issue looks identical in every way to the video you posted. It WILL work sometimes upon starting the car or connecting a different phone, but I cannot find a common denominator. When it is not working, I cannot select FM at all and cannot view the volume slider. I haven't tried a thumb drive in it

Upvote 0
Having the reverse problem.. sometimes(well just two times) the whole system reboots itself...turns off then back on.

But most annoying was this third time, radio volume just blasted itself... I pushed down to mute which it did for a second then it came back on louder.

Couldn't find anywhere to shut the thing off.
Had to pull over and shutoff car to restart while blood poured out my ears...or at least it felt like it.

Is there a way to shut this thing off?

This is on my shortlist for dealer to fix before b2b expires.

Upvote 0
Having the reverse problem.. sometimes(well just two times) the whole system reboots itself...turns off then back on.

But most annoying was this third time, radio volume just blasted itself... I pushed down to mute which it did for a second then it came back on louder.

Couldn't find anywhere to shut the thing off.
Had to pull over and shutoff car to restart while blood poured out my ears...or at least it felt like it.

Is there a way to shut this thing off?

This is on my shortlist for dealer to fix before b2b expires.

What song was playing? Maybe your CX REALLY likes that song? :giggle:

Upvote 0
Took mine to the dealership today. They were able to replicate the problem in my cx-30 but haven’t a clue what the problem is. They kept the car and will be contacting Mazda corporate on Monday. Such a bummer. My car is one week old and the audio won’t work more than half of the time.

Upvote 0
Hi, barely 24 hrs in my 2021 Touring CX-5 and the audio system stopped working. I connected apple play for less than an hour and the audio suddenly stopped. I can see the song in the infotainment screen but no sound. I toggled the volume and it doesn’t even display the volume meter.

After disconnecting apple play, trying Bluetooth, doing a hard reset, still nothing. I can’t even select the radio, I tried selecting FM and nothing happens.

I took a picture of this audio off display, I’m not sure if this is normal?

View attachment 296777
Try disabling auto connect on the phone..

Upvote 0
Happened again for me today (no audio). Seems like it happens more often when running errands and restarting the car after it has only sat for just a little bit, vs when it has sat overnight or something. Still intermittent where I can't pin down the exact scenario, but just seems more likely to occur when running errands where it recently ran and you're hopping back in the car and starting back up.

It will show the muted like extra icon below (this was taken while it was doing it) but no unmuting via the knob, nor changing source, nor any other function I've tried gets the audio back. The volume knob as mentioned before doesn't display on the screen when using it, and you cannot get it to change to FM or AM for example (cursor just blinks on it, but just sits on the source screen rather than going into FM or AM). Most of the time the audio works fine, but absolutely annoying when it does happen.

20211219_102143.jpg

Upvote 0
2021 CX 5, running into same issue . I took it to dealer they could not replicate the issue but when they tried updating the software the infotainment's 'CMU " would not take the update so they decided it is defective and needs to be changed out . I hope this fixes this issue but the problem now is this part is on BACKORDER. The way things are running right now I am dreading how long this will take. In the meantime I have this fancy infotainment system that randomly goes mute. Has anyone found any kind of solution ? So far the only thing that has works for me, is I turn vehicle off for about 15 min or more and audio comes back .

Upvote 0
2021 CX 5, running into same issue . I took it to dealer they could not replicate the issue but when they tried updating the software the infotainment's 'CMU " would not take the update so they decided it is defective and needs to be changed out . I hope this fixes this issue but the problem now is this part is on BACKORDER. The way things are running right now I am dreading how long this will take. In the meantime I have this fancy infotainment system that randomly goes mute. Has anyone found any kind of solution ? So far the only thing that has works for me, is I turn vehicle off for about 15 min or more and audio comes back .
My cx30 is still in the dealer shop, going on 2 weeks for this issue. They ordered a new CMU in hopes that will solve the problem for me as well.

Upvote 0
My cx30 is still in the dealer shop, going on 2 weeks for this issue. They ordered a new CMU in hopes that will solve the problem for me as well.
Two weeks ?! That is what worries me , how long to get this part. But good to know they are thinking same solution , maybe this will work . Let me know when you get part replaced. they just ordered mine yesterday so I am not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
Two weeks ?! That is what worries me , how long to get this part. But good to know they are thinking same solution , maybe this will work . Let me know when you get part replaced. they just ordered mine yesterday so I am not holding my breath.
Yep, bought the car and it started doing the radio silence on the way home, tried to trouble shoot and try at home solutions for the first week and it’s been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now. Very frustrating with a brand new car…
I’ll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
Would love to know if anyone gets this fixed for good. I have a brand new CX30 had it for three days and it has lots its voice three times. I did try a reset the dealer told me to do and it worked for a day but then stopped again. Very frustrating.

Upvote 0
My issues have ended, though I won't be of any further help here. My dealer had to order a new MCU for my CX30 and was told it wouldn't be in until February. This was unacceptable to my sales manager so he had the service department pull a MCU from another new cx30 they had on the lot and swap it into my car. This seemed to solve the issue and the car didn't loose audio again for them throughout their testing.
However, because of all of the hassle, my dealership offered to let me switch my CX30 for another that had just been delivered. I took them up on their offer and switched cars. The new one has a noticeably quicker infotainment system.
I think the issue is a bad batch of MCUs that will have to be replaced to solve the problem. This is not a simple task and the pandemic has effected to availability of MCUs. I lucked out having such an accommodating sales department.
Best of luck!

Upvote 0
Have this same problem on my 2021 CX5 Sig.
I don't know what triggers it. It doesn't happen often. I have about 5k miles on it and it happened 3 times.

- screen display of the double muted speaker icon is the same as in the OP photo
- tried switching input sources to FM/Bluetooth/Android - YT Music --> no dice
- toggled mute button --> no dice
- changed volume on console --> no dice
- change volume on steering wheel --> no dice
- tried the back-nav-mute (10 sec) reset --> nothing happens (can anyone confirm this reset applies to the new infotainment software; it seems to be applicable to previous infotainment software only)

I also noticed that music occasionally pops to phone speaker for a split a second and then back to car speakers. I can't be sure if it's the new Android Auto update or if this is a Mazda thing.

Letting the car sit with engine off while I'm away resolves the issue. So it makes me think it might be Bluetooth related, but haven't test it yet. Perhaps BT audio and USB-C cable audio are conflicting?

Upvote 0
I disabled Bluetooth altogether and gonna go pure FM or Android Auto for now. Will report back if it happens again or if I haven't encountered it in a month.

Upvote 0
Back