WTB Need MSP engine

Hi Guys, I'm the original owner and my trustworthy mechanic just told me that cylinders 1 and 2 just failed the leak test. Mazda apparently doesn't have any of these new from the factory. Any ideas?

Many, many thanks,
billions

Hello I'm located in New Hampshire and I have a mazdaspeed protege engine I've owned for 5 years in my garage and I'd like to sell it if ur interested hit me up

Hello I'm located in New Hampshire and I have a mazdaspeed protege engine I've owned for 5 years in my garage and I'd like to sell it if ur interested hit me up
Thanks for responding! Can you tell me a little about it? The mileage if you know it?
And much would you want for it?

Bill

Miles are 110k honestly never thought about selling shoot me an offer
And I took it off a msp I had that was rot to hell ended up junking the car cause the rust was bad the car I had I never modified it or anything and I never beat on it the miles are highway miles from home to work work to home

Hi, I will get back to you in a few days. My mechanic might be able to get one for me. In any case I'll be back in touch because I do need a new MSP engine. Thanks very much for your patience!

Hi SpeedMazda, it looks like a buddy of mine has an engine available. I'll get back to you if it falls through. Thanks very much!

Hey bill, the Mazdaspeed Protege is identical to regular 2.0l protege engines except the following parts need to be swapped from your current Mazdaspeed engine:

-Main bearing support plate (between oil pan and engine block)
-Oil filter threads (use double nut to remove the msp one)
-MSP oil cooler with water line connection from the block (there's a threaded bolt plug on the normal protege engine)
-MSP water lines that wrap around the engine and go to the front where the thermostat housing is. (One extra coolant barb)

Other than those parts it's basically the same. No internal differences. Good time to do OEM or good quality water pump, timing belt etc. possibly new OEM oil pump while you're in there with of course new front main seals etc.

AVOID the Japanese FSZE engines as those are higher compression and don't take boost as well. Japan FSDE are great. Hope this helps getting your protege back on the road happy motoring

It just so happens I'm swapping those components to another engine now for my turbo p5. Here's a reference picture, didn't mount the oil cooler yet but you get the idea. The bolt for the coolant line going into the oil cooler is 17mm (second pic).

I'd also recommend thread sealant when swapping the oil feed line T and coolant line barb. It's the white Teflon stuff but not Teflon tape, use the liquid stuffs

Attachments

• 6A2AD2A3-96BB-4EB6-9F89-81EBE3F3AA40.jpeg
    6A2AD2A3-96BB-4EB6-9F89-81EBE3F3AA40.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 123
  • C2B7B56D-B77A-4C04-8ABE-E976779FE57D.jpeg
    C2B7B56D-B77A-4C04-8ABE-E976779FE57D.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 128
Hey bill, the Mazdaspeed Protege is identical to regular 2.0l protege engines except the following parts need to be swapped from your current Mazdaspeed engine:

-Main bearing support plate (between oil pan and engine block)
-Oil filter threads (use double nut to remove the msp one)
-MSP oil cooler with water line connection from the block (there's a threaded bolt plug on the normal protege engine)
-MSP water lines that wrap around the engine and go to the front where the thermostat housing is. (One extra coolant barb)

Other than those parts it's basically the same. No internal differences. Good time to do OEM or good quality water pump, timing belt etc. possibly new OEM oil pump while you're in there with of course new front main seals etc.

AVOID the Japanese FSZE engines as those are higher compression and don't take boost as well. Japan FSDE are great. Hope this helps getting your protege back on the road happy motoring
Many, many thanks Airsofthawaii ! I really appreciate your help. It looks like I'll be getting a Protege 5 engine, so your post is very appropriate and I'm very grateful to you!

Back