Need help taking apart stock gt25r turbo for a CHRA swap.

desertfox

:
2003.0 MSP
Hate to have two threads in this forum but this is different enough I figure it warrants it.
Yes I have searched, there are tons of threads that reference doing it but none that really offer any help(thats after sorting through the tons of "what have i done to my xyz today threads *sigh*)

I have the turbo completely off the car and all the misc bits removed. I simply have not been able to separate the CHRA from the turbine housing. I have all but the 2 bolts behind the oil drain flange out (those are loose) I am afraid to go at it with a mallet or anything similar as the tolerance between the turbine and the housing is exceptionally small. Are there any tricks to getting them apart without causing any damage? I am giving up on this tonight but would like to get this part shipped to ATP asap for the trade-in program.

I have yet to try and remove the compressor housing as it looks like it should come off easier, and it is protecting the compressor wheel while I try and get the exhaust side off.

Isn't there a clamp or ring around it you have to undo or squeeze to separate the halves? I haven't messed with the T25 myself but I remember reading that if you want to clock the turbo, and that would also be necessary for removing it as well.

The compressor side is held by a nasty strong retaining clip, the compressor side is held by a clamp ring that is held by bolts. I had been stuck on removing the turbine housing, it was so bound up I could not get it to budge after I took out the 6 or so bolts holding the clamp. I let it soak in pb overnight and was able to give it some gentle mallet love to get it to come free. My understanding is the compressor is more fragile than the turbine so I left the compressor housing on to protect that while I got off the exhaust side. I do not have a pair of retaining ring pliers strong enough for the clip holding the compressor housing I discovered last night, hopefully can find a pair and give it another go this evening after work.

I might post pictures as I put it together to help anyone else doing this down the road. Same with clocking the turbo.

You will need a good snap ring plier to remove the intake side and the exhaust side just unbolts.. might be a b**** getting it of but it just simply unbolts and slides off.

Yeah I did get the exhaust side apart as I mentioned above. Good snap ring pliers seem hard to find, sears had only junk. Hopefully someone here has the parts. Time to hit some autopart stores and hope they are not unreasonably expensive.

You will need a good snap ring plier to remove the intake side and the exhaust side just unbolts.. might be a b**** getting it of but it just simply unbolts and slides off.

Back