Need Help Programming Key Fob 2023 Mazda CX-5

I like having spare keys for anything that requires a key. For our new 2023 CX-5, I wanted a spare key and fob.

I went to my local locksmith shop for info. I was quoted $75 for a spare key, $250 for an OEM refurbished fob, and $500 for a new OEM fob. (Just for parts).

Seemed a bit steep to me. I came back home and Binged around the interwebs.

I found keylessentryremotefob.com selling an OEM refurbished fob and spare key for $80 total. Now that’s more like it!

I went back to my local locksmith to cut the key and program the fob (as Mazda does not see fit to allow customer fob programming).

The locksmith informed me that he doesn’t even know if he can program the fob, because the car is so new. He said it might be 2-3 more years before Mazda shares the programming info with the locksmith community. That seems crazy to me.

I asked about the cost of programming the fob. I was quoted a range of $250-$500 to program the fob. That also seems crazy to me.

I would appreciate any info regarding your experiences with fob programming. Especially with a new vehicle purchase.

Was your local locksmith able to program your fob?

What did your locksmith charge to program the fob?

What does it cost for a Mazda dealer to program a fob?

Thank you for your assistance, TR

I would call a number of highly rated dealers and see if any are reasonably priced that will program your fob. It'll be overpriced no matter what, but you might be able to find a reasonably priced location. Search results on Youtube and Google seem to lead nowhere but dealer. Of course, car manufacturers like to keep this data proprietary as it does make the vehicles more secure, but also an easy dealer service revenue source.

Years ago I had to have a replacement fob for my ‘13 Cx-5 programed and found a well equipped/trained mobile locksmith who did it for around $50. He said that often times the mobile shops were called upon by dealers to do the work for them. So that’s where you should be looking.

Web searches end nowhere or telling me that it cannot be done by the owner.

I just called my local Mazda dealer and they will do it for $190. That beats $250-$500.

I've got an Appointment on Friday.

Thanks, TR

My dealer wanted $300 for a fob and to program.
I bought a fob on eBay for $100. Dealer programmed for $100. Saved...$100.

I like having spare keys for anything that requires a key. For our new 2023 CX-5, I wanted a spare key and fob.

I went to my local locksmith shop for info. I was quoted $75 for a spare key, $250 for an OEM refurbished fob, and $500 for a new OEM fob. (Just for parts).

Seemed a bit steep to me. I came back home and Binged around the interwebs.

I found keylessentryremotefob.com selling an OEM refurbished fob and spare key for $80 total. Now that’s more like it!

I went back to my local locksmith to cut the key and program the fob (as Mazda does not see fit to allow customer fob programming).

The locksmith informed me that he doesn’t even know if he can program the fob, because the car is so new. He said it might be 2-3 more years before Mazda shares the programming info with the locksmith community. That seems crazy to me.

I asked about the cost of programming the fob. I was quoted a range of $250-$500 to program the fob. That also seems crazy to me.

I would appreciate any info regarding your experiences with fob programming. Especially with a new vehicle purchase.

Was your local locksmith able to program your fob?

What did your locksmith charge to program the fob?

What does it cost for a Mazda dealer to program a fob?

Thank you for your assistance, TR

What's the least expensive way to get a working spare key fob?

Yes dealer price varies a lot. Some ask for $100 with cutting and programming, some ask a lot more. Shop around.

Back