NEED HELP finding FRONT wheel hub assembly with NO ABS for '03 Protege5

My P5 still has the stock axles, I used Cardone axles on the Camry that I used to have.

Rockauto shows 668099 (right side) and 668098 (left side), for a manual P5. The right side axle appears to be the same, auto or manual. Several manufacturers list the same part number for the right side, it can't be a misprint.

Those are the exact part numbers I was looking at. So, these should be the parts to get for my '03 Manual P5? Also, if they come with ABS ring, will that affect installation at all? My car is Non-ABS.

THANK YOU!

The ABS rings usually aren't an issue. The knuckles are almost always the same, aside from the speed sensor boss.

So, I shouldn't worry about the ABS ring? For some reason, I can't find NEW cv axles anywhere for the '03 P5 without the ABS ring, I can only find remanufactured cv axles without the ABS ring. Weird to me.

So, are y'all fairly certain the ABS ring won't matter? Or if it is an issue, it's as easy as removing the ring from the axle? I would prefer to buy new parts, but don't wanna delay my repair if the ABS ring causes trouble.

Just for my own knowledge, how does the ABS ring work? In a nutshell? I assume the ABS ring fits into the knuckle somehow? If not, how does the ABS ring work?

Thanks again! I appreciate the back and forth and the walkthrough on this...I'm really trying to just get the exact parts I need to get this repair underway. Lastly, would y'all replace the axle seals or just leave them be?

So, I shouldn't worry about the ABS ring? For some reason, I can't find NEW cv axles anywhere for the '03 P5 without the ABS ring

Don't worry about the ring... All knuckles are the same and the axle will install without hitting anything.

It would make sense for all new axles to have the ring so it's there if needed... If not needed, it doesn't matter. Then they only need to supply one part.

The speed sensor counts the teeth on the ring as it spins past it.

So, I shouldn't worry about the ABS ring? For some reason, I can't find NEW cv axles anywhere for the '03 P5 without the ABS ring, I can only find remanufactured cv axles without the ABS ring. Weird to me.

So, are y'all fairly certain the ABS ring won't matter? Or if it is an issue, it's as easy as removing the ring from the axle? I would prefer to buy new parts, but don't wanna delay my repair if the ABS ring causes trouble.

Just for my own knowledge, how does the ABS ring work? In a nutshell? I assume the ABS ring fits into the knuckle somehow? If not, how does the ABS ring work?

Thanks again! I appreciate the back and forth and the walkthrough on this...I'm really trying to just get the exact parts I need to get this repair underway. Lastly, would y'all replace the axle seals or just leave them be?

The ring is a reluctor, when it passes by the wheel speed sensor a small AC voltage is created, which the PCM interprets as speed.

It's cheaper for aftermarket manufacturers to only tool for ABS axles (even if it's not needed), than it is to make two different axles.

In short, leave them be.

If the axle seals are not leaking, leave them alone as well. There's a higher chance of them leaking after being replaced.

Awesome y'all, thank you for your replies! All of this additional info makes sense as to why the parts guy for Cardone Select was so confused, which just confused me FURTHER. Also, it makes sense about just creating the one new part with the ABS ring, whether needed or not.

I'm gunna order these new parts and give 'em a go! And @MrGiggles, thanks for the info on the axle seals - that aligned with my thinking, which is if they're good and not leaking, leave them be. Thanks!

I have one more question, concerning the torque settings for the repairs I'm about to do this weekend. Can y'all help me find them?

I'm replacing the LCAs, wheel hubs, bearings and cv axles on both sides. So I suppose I need to know torque settings for axle nut, LCA and the tie rod ends? Is that correct?

Any help would be much appreciated!

The most important is the axle nut. They set the preload of the wheel bearing, too loose and it won't last a week.

The torque specs are in the factory service manual, although I've lost the link to it. PCB should have it.

Back