NA Firmware Change logs for 2016 CX-5

:
2016 CX-5
I noticed several posts asking about firmware versions, the dates they were released, and what changes were made in each release for the CX-5. To help everyone out, I created a firmware changelog summary for the Mazda Connect Infotainment system in my 2016 CX-5. I took the information directly from the official Mazda Technical Service Bulletins. I'm attaching the summary and the official Technical Bulletins to this post. Since this is public information obtained from a government website, Mazda can't ask for this info to be removed. I noticed this information was removed from folders in other threads. They didn't have to take down the Technical Service Bulletins, just the proprietary software they were sharing. This information DOES apply to other Mazda models with the same 6th generation hardware, but I mainly focused on information pertaining to my model and year. So any changelogs prior to the first software release applicable to my 2016 CX-5 have been omitted. I hope everyone finds this useful.

Attachments

• 2016 Mazda CX-5 Firmware Changelog Summary.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 458
  • MC-10120373-9999.pdf
    436.2 KB · Views: 205
  • MC-10118128-9999.pdf
    362.3 KB · Views: 131
  • MC-10199634-0001.pdf
    350 KB · Views: 128
  • MC-10162014-0001.pdf
    396.9 KB · Views: 138
  • MC-10201772-0001.pdf
    368.9 KB · Views: 124
  • MC-10118472-9999.pdf
    367.5 KB · Views: 125
  • MC-10180667-0001.pdf
    412.4 KB · Views: 124
  • MC-10153289-9999.pdf
    388 KB · Views: 121
  • MC-10143964-9999.pdf
    378.2 KB · Views: 115
  • MC-10169542-0001.pdf
    402.3 KB · Views: 122
  • MC-10134694-9999.pdf
    367.5 KB · Views: 122
  • MC-10120348-9999.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 127
  • MC-10200528-0001.pdf
    370.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
For those who may be paranoid about downloading the perfectly safe pdf’s I uploaded, here is the text from the change log summary…

08/06/2021
Ver. 74.00.230
• [Mazda6 (US 2019-2021)], [CX-5 (US 2019-2021)], [CX-9 (US 2019- 2021)] SiriusXM radio does not work properly. (SiriusXM cannot be selected, only certain channels appear in the list, the sound turns off and/or the center display shows an error message such as “Check SiriusXM Tuner” or “Unable to Connect to SiriusXM Radio”.)

09/15/2020
Ver. 70.00.367
• [Except English] The translation of the message for the back camera is not correct.
• The Maintenance notification function (except when using Flexible setting) may stop counting after replacing the instrument cluster. It resumes counting after a factory reset operation.
• The speed limit for the other direction may appear in the navigation screen. To correct, the map version must be 18Q4 or later in addition to a CMU update.
• A phone number (including pause symbols) registered as a favorite may not be dialed and the “Loading” message continues.
• The "Display Off" function does not work if activated while a road
name etc. is displayed at the top of the screen.
• The information (artist, title, album etc.) for a track on a USB
audio device may not appear.

• [Ver. 70.00.110 or later] Certain USB audio devices (SONY NW- A45 and NW-A35 etc.) may not be recognized.
• Certain Android smartphones (HUAWEI P20, P30 Pro and Mate 20 Pro etc.) may not work as a USB audio device.
• Country information (such as alcohol limit etc.) in the navigation screen may not be correct. To correct, the country information has been removed in the latest version.
• The information (artist, title, album etc.) for an ogg format file in a USB audio device does not appear correctly.
• The play list may not work for a USB audio device with Android 9 or later OS.
• SiriusXM radio does not work properly. (SiriusXM cannot be selected; only certain channels appear in the list; the sound turns off and/or the center display shows an error message such as “Check SiriusXM Tuner” or “Unable to Connect to SiriusXM Radio”.
• The play list may not work for certain USB audio devices (HUAWEI P20 Pro with Android OS 8.1 etc.) when used as a USB audio device.
• The CMU may reboot when playing a CD/DVD.
• The CMU may reboot while driving.
• Changes for sound setting (Bass, Treble, Fade, Balance) may not
be kept after going into sleep mode.
• [With Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)] While in ACC-ON
mode, improper setting items (Speeding, Speed Limit) appear in
the navigation setting.
• While playing tracks from a USB memory, artist and album names
may appear as “unknown”.
• While playing tracks from a USB memory, certain mp3 file will not
start showing “Loading” message.
• Some of the favorite destinations appear duplicated and may not
allow editing or deleting.

• Right after starting the engine when trying to see the 360° view monitor screen, the black screen may continue for 20 seconds.
• When the transmission is shifted into Reverse, the rear view does not appear.

12/19/2019
Ver. 70.00.352
• [Mazda6 (US 2018-2019MY) (Mexico 2019-2020MY)] The center display turns to a black screen due to the back light of the display turning off. (Further improved)
• [Mazda6 (US 2018-2020MY)], [CX5 (US 2019-2020MY)], [CX9 (US 2019-2020MY)], [MX-5 (US 2019-2020MY) starting with JM1ND******308517 (built after Apr. 11, 2019)] When listening to SiriusXM radio, the sound turns off and the audio source changes to one of the others by itself, and the center display shows an error message such as “Sirius Channel Unavailable” or “Unable to Connect to SiriusXM Radio”.

06/06/2019
Ver. 70.00.335C
• In the CMU update package, the latest Gracenote® database has been included.

• The System Update screen menu shows “Update package” instead of “Reinstallation Package”. The Fail-Safe Package” has been removed.
• The brand icon on CarPlay screen has been updated.
• Font and location of texts like i-stop, i-ELOOP and average data
on Fuel Economy Monitor screen have been improved.
• When using SiriusXM Travel Link, block letters of direction are
greyed out on the Fuel Prices and Parking screens.
• On the Home screen, white stains appear in the status bar.
• [MX-5 RF] When talking on BT hands-free, the person on the
other end hears strange voices (like an echo).
• [Mazda6 (US 2018-2019MY) (Mexico 2019-2020MY)] Center
display turns to a black screen because the back light of the
display turns off.
• In LAS and LDWS setting menu, “Rumble” appears as “Rumbl.”.
• The Display OFF setting is not kept when the ignition is turned
off and on before the CMU goes into sleep mode.
• When using SiriusXM Travel Link, the subscription status for
each service should appear (subscription Information screen
has been added).
• When using SiriusXM Travel Link, the business hours should
appear for parking lots (business hours screen has been
added).
• If a “subscription suspended” event occurs when listening to
Sirius XM, an incorrect dialog screen appears instead of
changing the channel to Ch 1.
• When radio is selected for audio source and a hands free call is
finished, the radio sounds for a very short period of time even
when it is muted.
• After engine start, trhe screen freezes at the loading status.
• If the gear is shifted to reverse to display the rearview monitor
while loading data from a USB device (when USB is selected for

audio source), the screen changes to the Home screen instead of the USB audio screen when shifting to drive or a forward gear.
• When an artist is selected using voice command for USB audio, the wrong artist’s album may be selected.
• After parking, the current location on the navigation screen may not move until turning the ignition off and on.
• [Android Auto used at the south latitude or the west longitude (CarPlay is not applicable)] When ACC is on or engine is running in a location where the GPS signal is unavailable, a wrong current location (Ex. China) appears on applications such as navigation, weather forecast etc. When the GPS signal becomes available, the correct current location appears.

12/05/2018
Ver. 70.00.100A
• When playing certain BT audio devices, “Unknown” is displayed for track, artist and album names.
• During a call, another call will not be displayed on the screen if it comes in within 30 seconds of the start of the current call.
• On certain vehicles equipped with a Multi-Information Display (MID) in the speedometer, inactive customization item ”Sync Average and Trip A” is not grayed out and looks active.
• When using certain mobile devices, the sender name for a SMS message appears differently (i.e., first and last names appear in reverse order) from the contact list (phonebook).

• When playing music with a play list on a USB memory device, the play list does not appear if the play list consists of more than 50 tracks and includes a title longer than 128 characters.
• When pressing the volume knob to mute, an audio source will not pause. With the improved software, CD, USB memory device or BT audio will now pause.
• When returning to the Fuel Economy Monitor, it does not remember the previously displayed page, Control Status or Fuel Consumption.
• When playing audio using an Android device via USB connection, it suddenly skips to another track.
• When playing audio files on a USB memory device, it stops playing and will not go to the next track.
• When playing mp4 audio files in an Android device via USB connection, they are not displayed nor played. With the improved software, mp4 audio files can be displayed and played, but mp4 video files are still not applicable.
• When playing a play list for mp4 audio files on a USB memory device, they are not displayed nor played.
• Play list shuffle play for a USB memory device will not resume correctly and repeats playing the first track several times.
• In the Fuel Economy Monitor, Average Fuel Economy History shows data in wrong order.
• When receiving another call during a call via BT hands-free, selecting “Hold + Answer” results in a black screen. The call is still active but the screen will not recover until turning the ignition switch to off.
• After using voice recognition on an iPhone via BT connection, the center display continues showing own phone number and will not return to the previous screen.
• While driving, the screen freezes and reboots or continues rebooting.

• [Canada] If there is a failure to reset the oil maintenance monitor using the trip meter switch on the instrument cluster after the oil maintenance monitor reset operation on the center display, the following can happen.
o The wrench mark (Oil Change Due message) will not clear using the reset menu.
o The wrench mark (Oil Change Due message) will be displayed even if it is before the oil change due time.
• Shuffle play for a USB memory device will not play all tracks.
• Album art may not appear correctly.
• A play list on a USB memory device will not show all of the tracks
if the data with an invalid file path in it exceeds 100 tracks.
• When playing audio files on a USB memory device, it plays the
same track twice with a slight delay in between.
• The home screen is shown and will not move to another screen.
• After updating the CMU, the contact list (phonebook) and the call
history for an iPhone will not appear.
• A BT connected iPhone shows the pop up screen prompting
download of the “Navibridge” application.

06/06/2018
Ver. 59.00.546
• Rear view monitor brightness settings have been disabled for compliance requirement.
(From 59.00.545)
• [Only vehicles with V59.00.544, except 2017-2018 Mazda3 (Mexico built)] When using Driving Position Memory, a beep

sound may not be heard when the driving position adjustment is completed. Display settings for navigation guidance on Active Driving Display may not be kept for the seat position memory.
(From 59.00.544)
• When playing a BT audio device, album art is now available when it is found in the Gracenote® database in the CMU.
• Speed limit is displayed on the navigation screen.
• Android 8.0 device is not recognized via USB connection.
• [Only vehicles without Active Driving Display] Traffic Sign
Recognition System (TSR) does not keep the alert threshold
setting value when performing Factory Reset.
• Wrong caller name is displayed for incoming calls.
• Fuel Economy Monitor may display wrong unit and/or draw bars
multiple times instead of once a minute.
• Cell phone screen flickers when connected via USB.
• Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR) does not alert at the the
correct speed limit alert setting. It may alert at +6 mile for +10
mile setting.
• [Version 59.00.540 only] House number not found error pop-up
displayed when trying to enter a new address. (From 59.00.540)
• When Pandora® is connecting to the vehicle, the screen color and the logo have been changed.
• Warning Guidance “i-ELOOP Charging” in the center display has been removed.
• i-Pod nano 5th gen will not play.
• [Only vehicles equipped with the Forward Sensing Camera]
Warning Guidance message to clear foggy windshiled is shown even if it is not foggy. (The message has been changed.)

• Fuel Economy Monitor may draw bars twice a minute instead of once a minute.
• [Canada and Mexico] Some vehicles in Fixed engine oil maintenance mode may experience that the remaining mileage does not decrease.
• [USA] Some vehicles in Flexible engine oil maintenance mode may experience that the remaining mileage returns to 620 miles (1000 km) from less than 620 miles (1000 km).
• [CX-9 with Active Driving Display] Speed limit display in the MAZDA CONNECT screen has been disabled.
• The setting tab works as if the ignition is in ACC instead of ON.

03/19/2018
Ver. 59.00.504
• System stability. (From 59.00.502)
• USB Auto run vulnerability described in Forbes article.

05/16/2017
Ver. 59.00.502
NOTE: The system performance has been improved as follows:

• System stability and response of the CMU.
- Minimize unexpected reboots and blank or frozen screens. - Faster start up.
- Faster operational response.
• Connectivity and stability for BT devices.
- Improved stability of connection.
- Reduced connection error with internet radio applications.
• Stability for USB audio device.
- Faster response when hundreds of songs are being read out of USB audio devices.
• Connection stability and functionality with iPhone.
- Device name can be displayed not only via BT connection but also via USB connection.
- Improved stability when iPhone is connected via both BT and USB.
(From 59.00.441)
• With ignition ON, “SCBS Unavailable” or “LDWS Unavailable” message may be displayed due to false error detection by CMU, but the systems actually do work. No DTC is stored in memory and no message appears in the multi-information display. (2014-2015 Mazda3 equipped with SCBS, LDWS and CMU ver. 59.00.441/443/445)

Back