My turbo project

Three25

:
2003 MP5 Turbo
So after buying some pieces from some of the forum members, my turbo kit's just about complete and I'll be boosted in a matter of a few days :)

Thanks to everyone for your help, this forum's been a really great source for information and advice. I work at a Mazda dealer in Virginia and I recommend any of our performance customers to take a look at this site.

I'll be posting up pictures as the project comes along, as well as the dyno results.

...(cabpatch)

Great to hear. So you got the hardpipes welded up huh? what ems di you end up going with?

I bought Emilo's MPI Tuner. The charge pipes were welded last night. The guy's a beast at welding too, he wanted to use as few cupplers as possible, so most of the charge pipe is welded.

excellent. He is right. Less couplings means you'll more likely be air tight. Since you are running the MPI tuner I can get you a great base map to tune from. PM me for details.

Well, here's the latest update(s)

After hooking up the MPI tuner and trying to tune it, they told me that it was running lean on fuel. I bought the VC from Dana at Speed Circuit, and then I bought the BEGi FPR from Ken at Protege Garage. They're still telling me that it's lean on fuel. So as of now we have a Walbro FP that's suppose to show up tommorow, and I just bought a liquid FP gauge. It's been long...expensive..journey to the "Dark Side" (dunno)

I'll keep everyone posted in a few days, hopefully this will be the last stop and it won't need injectors, or the extra injector setup as well.

It's been over a month, and 3,000.00 in labor alone and i STILL don't have my damn car back yet. They just put the fuel pump, the VC and the BEGi FPR, and according to them, I'm still lean on fuel.

This is getting pathetic, I spent the first few weeks in a rental car and had 300+ in rental bills, and I'm paying more and more for them to do trial and error on my car to the point to where I don't have anything else to put into it.

Any advice?

I think you need to find another shop. See if any of our members near you can recommend a shop that know what they are doing. They might know how to tune the MPI.

dana's in jersey.

id say you should get an extra injector setup and have it done dana's way but you seem to be a little too deep for change at this point. this is the one sad drawback to the mpi tuner, the inability to run larger primary injectors...

well, i wouldn't say all of that.

after they put the mpi tuner in, i had to pay for them to rip the damn thing back out and hook the VC up, and the BEGi FPR up, and they're still telling me the same exact thing.

Pick up your car, if it cannot drive put it on a trailer and find a shop that can help you. Check with Dana, Steve from NSN or even Ken ( P.G ) to see if they know someone.

get your car out of this shop. they can't get the car running right with a fpr and vc? and if/when you get the car back, assuming it's running right, it will be 5psi with a fpr. **** that! make the trip to dino, your car will be running 8-10psi tuned. more bang for your buck and probably cost you less in the end.

dana's done everything humanly possible he could over the phone for the shop too. he's been a great help, if i could i'd love to bring it to him, but after wasting all of my money with this shop, i'll have to wait even longer to bring it to dana.

keep an eye out for me in the WTS section (lol)

It's got fuel! But now the problem is that it's throwing the CEL and the p5's saying its running hot, even though the motor is cold. I have a feeling it has something to do with the VC.

It's got fuel!

So what was the problem?

But now the problem is that it's throwing the CEL

What's the CEL?

and the p5's saying its running hot, even though the motor is cold.

As in Water temp? If so, double check the bulls*** MPI wiring that was tampered with.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the VC.

It doesn't, unless they screwed it up.

(uhm) curious, why are we running the mpi with a begi rrfpr and voltage clamp?

(uhm) curious, why are we running the mpi with a begi rrfpr and voltage clamp?

the mpi isn't hooked up anymore. we were going with the mpi until i realized they can't tune it, and i don't have the time to drive up to dana at speed circuit.

they told me that it needs the coolant temp. sensor and that everything seems 'on track' but they can't guarantee that it's getting enough fuel, because they have no way to tune it. do you guys think i'll be safe?

the mpi isn't hooked up anymore. we were going with the mpi until i realized they can't tune it, and i don't have the time to drive up to dana at speed circuit.

they told me that it needs the coolant temp. sensor and that everything seems 'on track' but they can't guarantee that it's getting enough fuel, because they have no way to tune it. do you guys think i'll be safe?

I should have asked this before are they using a wide band to tune or are they sticking there nose up the pipe and saying not enough fuel ? (dunno). If not, take the car to a dyno and have them data log the car by putting a load on the car, check your ratios and if possible tune the car.

The car should be safe if dont boost. If you are low on fuel and go into boost then BOOM!!!(omg)

Back