My take on the CX-5 after 20,000 miles

Its funny, I am watching this and I am thinking "no wonder he's complaining about lugging, look at how low the RPMs are!" Then I realized this is the 2.5. During normal acceleration, on the 1-2 shift I am between 3-4K rpm. Must be nice.

I made a short video tutorial that can help.

Best thing you've ever posted! Not kidding.

You could have made it better by showing how it will hold a high gear if you gradually and very slowly tip into the throttle, even if you eventually tip in quite deep.

This is the "problem" a couple of people have complained about but it's there for a reason. On a long gentle grade the driver might not be aware of exactly how deep (or shallow) the pedal is depressed. So a gradual and slow tip in will not effect an unexpected downshift. If the driver has been pussy-footing the pedal slowly deeper and deeper but now wants a downshift, it may be necessary to ease off the pedal a little and then make a sharper request for power. I quickly learned not to tip the pedal in too slowly if I want a different gear. I love this feature.

This video should be filed under "Driving 101". In your next video you can demonstrate proper use of the brake pedal. (wink)

This is funny!

Are we people really dumb as Mike the Genius? Please!!! I agree with the other guy. Its either push hard or not with No in between. If you're in traffic are you really gonna push it hard!

Oh no :D Its the nature of an sporty CUV. Guess what? Who the hell pushes a CUV over 70mph on a winding road? It will rollover!!

C'mon, the truth is theres a lot to improve on this car and everyone just praises this POS and believing this is the best happned since the slice bread.

I think that an automatic should not be getting into a point where available torque is too low for casual driving (i.e. when high acceleration is not needed). This is what I experienced in a very specific set of conditions (refer to above post).
There may be a fine line between 'too low' vs 'feels slow', where the latter might be OK to some small degree, especially for casual driving.

I agree that quick stubbing of the accelerator could solve it, in addition to manual mode. But the transmission should not get into this situation in the first place and the driver should not need to override the poor gear choice made by the system.
Now, if I do want to have fun and get max acceleration, then I can see why the stubbing method or manual mode could be useful, because the transmission might only provide a ratio which is best fit for casual driving and the driver would want to override it.

Best thing you've ever posted! Not kidding.

You could have made it better by showing how it will hold a high gear if you gradually and very slowly tip into the throttle, even if you eventually tip in quite deep.

This is the "problem" a couple of people have complained about but it's there for a reason. On a long gentle grade the driver might not be aware of exactly how deep (or shallow) the pedal is depressed. So a gradual and slow tip in will not effect an unexpected downshift. If the driver has been pussy-footing the pedal slowly deeper and deeper but now wants a downshift, it may be necessary to ease off the pedal a little and then make a sharper request for power. I quickly learned not to tip the pedal in too slowly if I want a different gear. I love this feature.

This video should be filed under "Driving 101". In your next video you can demonstrate proper use of the brake pedal. (wink)

Much appreciated. I guess a Part II involving the brake pedal is in order.

This is funny!

Are we people really dumb as Mike the Genius? Please!!! I agree with the other guy. Its either push hard or not with No in between. If you're in traffic are you really gonna push it hard!

Oh no :D Its the nature of an sporty CUV. Guess what? Who the hell pushes a CUV over 70mph on a winding road? It will rollover!!

C'mon, the truth is theres a lot to improve on this car and everyone just praises this POS and believing this is the best happned since the slice bread.

I believe my video dispels the myth that it's "all or nothing".

Also, what is there to fix on the CX-5 that won't destroy the price-point?

I don't think that the CX-5 would flip unless it left the road surface, or you tried to pull well over 1g in it. I bet due to the narrow tires and firm suspension it would slide, unless like I said, you just cranked on the wheel at 70 in what would result in a 1g+ maneuver, had the vehicle done it.

This is funny!

I can. I've partook in cruises where I was able to keep up with miatas and 3s on windy routes. I've improved the handling of mine while keeping it practical for my daily needs.

I can. I've partook in cruises where I was able to keep up with miatas and 3s on windy routes. I've improved the handling of mine while keeping it practical for my daily needs.

I think it more likely that you kept up with the DRIVERS of Miatas and 3's...people really have no CLUE how much skill actually comes into play on a "real" track or curvy road.

interesting thread - I'll have to play around with my wife's CX5 next time i drive it.

..just rolled over 75k miles w/ very few issues :)

Nice summary.
i have speed 3, and am adding a cx-5 shortly. mazda is hitting all the right notes right now, style, handling, cost, reliability.... i also like that being a lower volume US presence, there is not a mazda in every other driveway.

Here is a demo of the brake pedal and how it affects the shifting of the transmission. I drove this just fast enough to put a little urgency into the operation of things. Rather sedate, and yes, you could push it a LOT harder on that road, there just wasn't a need to to get the demo/point across. Also, the rattling/shuffling is some trash I was hauling to the dumpster (milk jugs).

I think it more likely that you kept up with the DRIVERS of Miatas and 3's...people really have no CLUE how much skill actually comes into play on a "real" track or curvy road.

I'd say not, there is actually an SACA chapter here in town and they often do events not even 5 miles from my house.

I'd say not, there is actually an SACA chapter here in town and they often do events not even 5 miles from my house.

So you're saying that your CX-5 is a more capable vehicle than a Miata, given equal drivers?

I don't see how that's possible given the power to weight ratios and centers of gravity. But who knows

So you're saying that your CX-5 is a more capable vehicle than a Miata, given equal drivers?

I don't see how that's possible given the power to weight ratios and centers of gravity. But who knows

Nowhere did I say it was more capable.

The CX-5 has state of the art roll-over protection built-in to the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). Using gyroscopes that can detect the rate of yaw and roll it constantly compares this data with the wheel speed sensors, steering wheel angle, throttle position, brake, etc. If the DSC calculates there is an impending roll-over it intervenes and takes various actions to avert roll-over (such as applying individual brakes to stabilize chassis motion before roll-over occurs). This all happens in 1/100ths of a second. While it cannot prevent rollovers caused by driving into a ditch at an angle or over an embankment, it can prevent the most common type of SUV roll-over such as that caused by avoidance maneuvers or excessively spirited driving.

I've driven the CX-5 in a spirited manner at 90-100 mph in the mountains pushing corners hard and the DSC system did not intervene and the vehicle did not exhibit a tendency to roll-over. Is it a Mazda Miata? Of course not. But your typical driver would have a very tough time (if not impossible) getting it to roll-over just from pushing it 70 mph on a twisty road. Yes, if you drive it off an embankment or slide it into a curb it can roll-over but not simply from spirited driving on a twisty road. Your claim shows a lack of knowledge of the capabilities built into every CX-5 and makes me question your motives.

Here is a demo of the brake pedal and how it affects the shifting of the transmission.

That's a very advanced video for those just learning how accelerator pedal motion affects gear selection. When I recommended a video on learning to use the brake pedal I was envisioning a beginning tutorial on how to best use the brake pedal to slow or stop the vehicle (for those unfamiliar with the basics). Braking 101.

That's a very advanced video for those just learning how accelerator pedal motion affects gear selection. When I recommended a video on learning to use the brake pedal I was envisioning a beginning tutorial on how to best use the brake pedal to slow or stop the vehicle (for those unfamiliar with the basics). Braking 101.

This is a very advanced race car, though! :p

The CX-5 has state of the art roll-over protection built-in to the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). Using gyroscopes that can detect the rate of yaw and roll it constantly compares this data with the wheel speed sensors, steering wheel angle, throttle position, brake, etc. If the DSC calculates there is an impending roll-over it intervenes and takes various actions to avert roll-over (such as applying individual brakes to stabilize chassis motion before roll-over occurs). This all happens in 1/100ths of a second. While it cannot prevent rollovers caused by driving into a ditch at an angle or over an embankment, it can prevent the most common type of SUV roll-over such as that caused by avoidance maneuvers or excessively spirited driving.

I've driven the CX-5 in a spirited manner at 90-100 mph in the mountains pushing corners hard and the DSC system did not intervene and the vehicle did not exhibit a tendency to roll-over. Is it a Mazda Miata? Of course not. But your typical driver would have a very tough time (if not impossible) getting it to roll-over just from pushing it 70 mph on a twisty road. Yes, if you drive it off an embankment or slide it into a curb it can roll-over but not simply from spirited driving on a twisty road. Your claim shows a lack of knowledge of the capabilities built into every CX-5 and makes me question your motives.

Agreed. Its pretty hard to roll over this vehicle, with its excellent handling, chassis and stability control system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTXaQzAxKg

Agreed. Its pretty hard to roll over this vehicle, with its excellent handling, chassis and stability control system.

I do not recommend following my example.

image12.jpeg

:)

Back