My second Eunos Cosmo

FCJay

:
Eunos Cosmo JCESE
So, I'm getting a second Cosmo. Found this one in a junkyard. The owner wants a ridiculously low price for the car and I couldn't resist. Engine needs to be rebuilt, but I'm okay with that. Since I'm getting into the engine bay, what do you guys recommend me taking care of before the engine gets put back in? Obviously, I'm going to clean up the engine bay. I'm ready to fix everything and anything.

Nice score!

While the engine is out I would look into the following...

1. Wiring to the ABS unit. With the amount of heat that the 20B produces, you should re-run the wires which go across the firewall on the turbo side.
2. Replace ignition circuit. Again, heat related.
3. Engine mounts & gearbox mounts.
4. Degrease & clean!

Or if you are going to track your car - custom subframe with S15 Silvia suspension and steering rack. :)

Thanks for the advice. No tracking. I'm returning this car to where it belongs; on the street. For torque, tolerances and measurements am I stuck with using the Japanese FSM, or is there a english translation I haven't found? I'm, picking the car up today. More pictures to come and I'll post up the problem areas I see.

Picked up the car yesterday, and leaned the hell out of it. The interior wasn't too bad. I had to really clean the door/trunk seals and the engine bay was FULL of spiders. Overall, the car is in really good shape. Today, I'm going to try and put it on jack stands so I can deal with the under body and see what all I need to order. I'm also going to break out the tooth brush and scrub every crevice. The engine code is A790

Jacked the car up and got some work done. After the car was raised, I took out the airbox, radiator, and smaller miscellaneous things. Next is removing the a/c and p/s from the engine and moving those out of the way. Got a better look of the under body. Minimal rust. Nothing a wire wheel can't break up.

Hi FCClay,

Noticed your pics on Facebook too and friended you. Great pickup! New category of Barnfind - no barn! Just spiders n s***! If you are pulling the engine down, have a look at the oil feed mods that Chips Ursu does to 20b's. You could have one of the first thousand cars there with a suspect e-shaft. Check it closely and if you can afford it - ditch it for a billet or a later one. D is preferred. I had an A series that was fine in mine when we pulled it down though.

Kramer aka Howard James

Hey, yeah I accepted it. :) How can I tell if the e-shaft is bad? Just regular wear or is there something specific to look for? I just saw the oil feed manifold. That thing looks pretty frickin sweet! Unfortunately, I can't get into the website. It keeps redirecting me to some BS search engine.

Good question - I gave mine to an expert engine builder n let him make the call on the technicalities like that. Trouble is - finding a real expert!

Kramer

Yeah, being in northern Japan, I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to the technicalities. If it was closer to Tokyo, it would be easier.

Got some more work done yesterday. Minor things, really. I did find a pest problem. A good vacuuming took care of the problem. Next on the list is removing the rusted-to-hell exhaust and some good ol' corrosion control.

I keep forgetting to take pictures, but the fuel tank, pump assembly and filter have been replaced. There was ALOT of rust in the tank along with about half a tank of what used to be gasoline. Exhaust system, heat shields, driveshaft have been taken out in preparation for the engine getting pulled. Still waiting for my rebuild kit from Rotary Aviation, but that should arrive before next weekend.

All I have left to fix up this car is finishing up the minor under body rust, engine rebuild, fluid swaps and replacing rubber exhaust hangers. Hopefully, It'll be all done before October!

Back