My Hypertech Impressions

Yea your numbers are really good :)

I'm just trying to figure out why my numers where stock like,, You only have a CAI and cat back, I'm fullt bolt and you made more TRQ than me, LOL NOT RIGHT!! :)

i guess the ots map that ht has works better for a specific bolt-ons only (which are basically cai & cbe). the tune does not support other power upgrades such as fmic, downpipe, etc..etc...

i also believe that this is what the cobb a/p users are talking about when it comes to multiple bolt-ons and modifications to a certain speed3 vehicle. they can manipulate the a/p while the ht is just a flash.

If you do dyno runs, you almost have to have the exact same set up as HT used to get close to the exact numbers...if you watched the video on there site you can see the huge fan strapped directly on top of the intercooler, that in it self could make a big difference in power/torque.

Yea your numbers are really good :)

I'm just trying to figure out why my numers where stock like,, You only have a CAI and cat back, I'm fullt bolt and you made more TRQ than me, LOL NOT RIGHT!! :)

What are you mods? Also what about the overrev? I bet you picked up huge at 6500??? My initial dyno results show most of my gains are in the overrev! It is a rich tune. We should talk to Chris and see if he can get us a map that a touch leaner past 5k. Mine goes into low 10s also. Tons of power on the table there, but still makes kick arse power in the overrev and down low. Peak gains are only around 10-15whp. With leaner map the gains would be around 25whp.

Chris??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Ill call him tomorrow and see if its out of the question. Seems everyone is rich with his tuner.

You know that your turbo is already screaming for mercy at anything above 15psi past 5800rpm right?

It would be really unsafe to keep your stock turbo going past 6500rpm and your engine as well, even if it's a rich tune. It would make even less sense to lean the tune out after 5k and overrev to 6700rpm. With the Knock retard sensor (which is a safety measure for your engine) going deaf at 5800rpm, any detonation that occurs past that point is gonna end up into a bent rod or worse later on.

Just sayin

What are you mods? Also what about the overrev? I bet you picked up huge at 6500??? My initial dyno results show most of my gains are in the overrev! It is a rich tune. We should talk to Chris and see if he can get us a map that a touch leaner past 5k. Mine goes into low 10s also. Tons of power on the table there, but still makes kick arse power in the overrev and down low. Peak gains are only around 10-15whp. With leaner map the gains would be around 25whp.

Chris??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Ill call him tomorrow and see if its out of the question. Seems everyone is rich with his tuner.

Mods are PG FMIC, Cobb SRI, Turbo XS catless DP, Basically fully bolted.
I made Crap over 5.5k eveything was falling like a rock TOO much fuel, I was in the 9's so we got off it no reason to keep running up there if all the car is doing is slamming fuel. My stock tune made it's peak TRQ soon than the HT and the WHP peaks are almost at the same RPM, and only 11 more?(boom04)
I will have logs up today just waiting for email, Dumb me left my sheet on the kitchen table.

True, 18 psi is fine for peak.

I'm talking about keeping 18psi past the 5800RPM. After that, the turbo is just throwing hot air into your engine and you will just ask for your engine to detonate w/out very safe timing and afr. For peak from 3k to 5k, i agree 18psi is just fine.

It's much better/easier to lower boost as RPM increase than to keep a very rich AFR w/ very conservative timing once KR sensor goes deaf IMO.

I'm talking about keeping 18psi past the 5800RPM. After that, the turbo is just throwing hot air into your engine and you will just ask for your engine to detonate w/out very safe timing and afr. For peak from 3k to 5k, i agree 18psi is just fine.

It's much better/easier to lower boost as RPM increase than to keep a very rich AFR w/ very conservative timing once KR sensor goes deaf IMO.
I hear ya, but you need a bit more boost after 5.8K, so the the power won't go into a death spiral at that point.

Can anyone comment on my my first dyno chart that compares the stock tune with the HT tune? I understand a little about this stuff, but not much. One thing I noticed is that both the stock and HT tune start to pump fuel at 5000 rpm's. Most people here say the car starts to dump fuel at 5800rpm's and that is not what the dyno chart says.

Do the power lines look good?

Should I just be happy with what the HT tune makes at mid-range and call it a day? The car does fill stronger that the stock tune.

I also provided a dashawk chart from a run.

Hey Luis, you know I liked your numbers and what you made over stock, I would have taken half of what your gains where. Hell you picked up +36 WHP and +40 WTRQ. If I got +18WHP and +20 TRQ I would have been happy and over 300.

I hear ya, but you need a bit more boost after 5.8K, so the the power won't go into a death spiral at that point.

Agreed, but not 18psi. Right now on my tune, it goes into 16's at 5.5k, then 15.5/15 past 6k. That's still 3psi higher than the stock tune.

With respect, I think you were missing the point. that "death spiral" is there for two reasons: (1) the ECU is trying to save the little turbo and (2) the turbo will try to burn itself up.

The K04 turbo will not handle high boost after 5,800 rpm without self-destructing. You can tune to keep the throttle body open longer, you can tune to raise boost a LITTLE. But the maximum flow rate of the turbo is such that boost over about 15-16 psi and tapering down to 13-14 is all the turbo can safely handle once you get above above 5,800 rpm. It just turns into a furnace. No more power. Just more heat. Once flow is maxed out, which happens at about 5,500 rpm and 18 psi, or 6,000 and about 15 psi, raising rpm without lowering boost, just roasts the turbo. No power gains to be made at that point and an expensive repair bill to deal with.

I also noticed that the HT tune looks like it comes on later than stock on both dyno runs, but I don't know why. I thought maybe it was the way the person drove it on the dyno. Driving the car I feel like it comes on earlier not later, especially with the 1st and 2nd gear restriction removed.

With respect, I think you were missing the point. that "death spiral" is there for two reasons: (1) the ECU is trying to save the little turbo and (2) the turbo will try to burn itself up.

The K04 turbo will not handle high boost after 5,800 rpm without self-destructing. You can tune to keep the throttle body open longer, you can tune to raise boost a LITTLE. But the maximum flow rate of the turbo is such that boost over about 15-16 psi and tapering down to 13-14 is all the turbo can safely handle once you get above above 5,800 rpm. It just turns into a furnace. No more power. Just more heat. Once flow is maxed out, which happens at about 5,500 rpm and 18 psi, or 6,000 and about 15 psi, raising rpm without lowering boost, just roasts the turbo. No power gains to be made at that point and an expensive repair bill to deal with.
The '5800 Death Spiral' beats "Turbo Annihilation",anytime! I guess a slightly different approach may be in order, in our quest for more power. Maybe we need a nice 'twin scroll' turbo and tuning.

Last edited:
My Dyno run, I have the files but can not open them at work, Will have to wait till I go home.

Attachments

• Dyno run.pdf
    167 KB · Views: 167
Back