my dad had a stroke

I_Vtec

Contributor
:
2001 Honda S2000
Well despite the fact that I'm not that old my dad is. He'll be 85 in November. Night before last I heard him fall out of bed,(happened to be laying awake unable to sleep)went to check on him. He had very little mobilty in his left side limbs and the left side of his face was droopy. Called 911 and an ambulance came and took him to the hospital. He made it to the hospital about 2 hours after the fall when everything was said and done. About a half hour after he got there I was able to see him and he had no symptoms anymore, he was perfectly fine. Turns out he had a T.I.A. which is often reffered to as a mini-stroke. He is fine and will have no lasting problems from his episode. But q T.I.A. usually does indicate a bigger stroke is on the way acccording to the doctor. But they should be able totake prevenative measures to prevent it. So it's kinda a good thing that this happened. Scary stuff though. Been trying to prepare for losing my dad for the last 20 years or so since being as old as he is he could go at any time. But of course still don't want it to happen.

my former father-in-law had this happen.
his situation was a little complicated due to additional heart problems as well, but they ended up keeping him in the hospital basically watching him have minor strokes for a couple months (which was awful, hes a great guy and was only about 60 yrs old). after a long stint in the hospital he is now fully recovered, and even gave up bacon and smoking.

your right that its good this happened and hes a lucky man, especially at his age. best of luck its definitely stressful, but a full recovery and prevention is certainly feasible

I'll keep your Dad in my prayers - full recovery and to stay healthy...

The TIA (transient ischemic attack) is really scary, since it mimics a stroke. It's also a big warning sign to get preventative measures in place. One of my neighbor's where I used to live had one. It scared the bejeesus out of her, but it also put her on the right track to prevent any further attacks or a stroke. She quit smoking, cut back on alcohol consumption, changed her diet...she was serious about it and it showed.

Damn, that sucks dude. Sounds like a long night. Glad your dad's ok tho and it wasn't anything more serious :)

damn matt glad your dad is ok. :) man this is a rough two year for you. I hope everything gets better for you.

well on the plus side they caught something early that could have been much worse. Glad he is ok.

Wow, sorry to hear. But like others said, atleast now you'll be able to take action against preventing a bad one.

Damn matt, best of luck with everything, I'll be hoping the best, sorry, but I don't pray.

Matt, your father and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hate that this happened but I'm very glad that 1) you were awake and 2) now he has the opportunity to try to prevent the big one. My grandmother died from a stroke, so I know how dangerous they are.

Back