my car-computer setup

yea mastero is a good guy. . .i can make them but it's not really my thing since ive only made 3 so far and they take about a couple hours of soldering to make

traitorhound said:
yea mastero is a good guy. . .i can make them but it's not really my thing since ive only made 3 so far and they take about a couple hours of soldering to make

I still gotta install the one you made me, I dont have the time to right now :mad:

Elemental, about your screen. First, looks friggin sweet, I'm very impressed. Was that trim around the screen completely fabricated? Or did you take an aftermarket kit and alter it? Also, do you have a head unit or is all 'puter?

traitorhound said:
man a 4 month old thread and now you are finally getting attention. . . .lol

LMAO I know..

therizzzo,
Thanks for the compliment!
I took a spare radio trim piece and molded my screen frame into it. Its the same way Dexter is doing his and the same way traitorhound did his.

hey guys i also have a computer in my car...
specs...
7" plasma screen (xenarc 700v)
casetronic mini itx
512mb sdram
700mhz celeron
ati win xp tuner (tv and fm)
shuttle fv24 mobo
40gig
wireless keyboard and mouse

the xenarc screen is mounted via fiberglass where the radio used to be... going to get it redone by a pro...
so far i have about 90 music vids and 300+ mp3s transfered over
i have a custom start button next to my shifter(left side) and i am currently installing two usb ports and a mic and audio out next to the shifter (right side)

for sound i have
250w kenwood 4chan(4door speaks)
500.1 phoenix gold (2 900w sony xplod alluminum cone series)

why a mic, headphone jack and two usbs?

headphone jack... for the hell of it really
the mic ... i am going to be setting up my computer for Dragon Naturally Speaking and a boom mic to voice activate my car computer
the two usbs... i am using one of them for the external slim dvd rom drive and the second one im am going to be using mainly for the usb jump drive to transfer my files faster and for whatever use i can come up with...

im having probs posting pics so if you would like a picture i will be more than happy to send it to you via email...

my email addy is SM4RTF00D@aol.com (00 = zeros)
if you are requesting pictures please have "Computer Pics" in the Subject line so i dont delete it

i am actually pretty unsatisfied with the computer... i am going to be putting a mid tower and switch over to a computer with more expansion... right now i only have one pci slot... i am going to be upgrading to a better board with maybe 3pci slots... 1 for the tv tuner 1 for the 5.1 sound card... and 1 for whatever ... maybe the new gps... dunno yet

um. .. ..ive never seen a a pci mounted gps module. . .since they usually need line of sight with the sky ?????

and all that stuff you can get as usb peripherals. ...with usb 2.0 you shouldn't have any problems with bandwidth. ...

mine has actually gotten better over the last couple weeks since i just did a clean reformat and tweaked my software and it's all good and pretty much super stable..except for ME 2.0 since its still in development . .but it's a much better upgrade from V 1.7

there is a pci card at best buy... it is a gps card i havent really looked into it ... i do know that it is a gps reciever and you have to subscribe to the service

Wow. I hadn't thought of this before, but I'm definitely going to look into it. What do you guys do for sound? Hook up the computer -> in car speakers? I mean like for playing cds, etc. Is that tricky? I'm very computer literate, and can build my own comp, etc. What was the hardest part of the install? If anyone has anymore pictures they wanna post please do so, this has me excited :).

~brian

conekiller said:
Wow. I hadn't thought of this before, but I'm definitely going to look into it. What do you guys do for sound? Hook up the computer -> in car speakers? I mean like for playing cds, etc. Is that tricky? I'm very computer literate, and can build my own comp, etc. What was the hardest part of the install? If anyone has anymore pictures they wanna post please do so, this has me excited :).

~brian

well. . i felt it was unnessary to have a headunit so i went without one. . .so my sound got a a pre amp EQ and then i ran 3 rca's from the eq to the back of my car to the amp rack

i actaully went without a cd drive too and only hook it up for maintainance. . .i found that i neve listen to them since i have so many mp3's and movies.. ....

Back