My 1990 JCESE Eunos Cosmo

FCJay

:
Eunos Cosmo JCESE
Hi, all! I wanted to introduce myself and my Cosmo. I live in Northern Japan and have lived here for 3 years so far. I love it here and have no plans to leave Japan.

Now, on to the good stuff. I bought this Cosmo in January of this year. I fell in love immediately. I had plans to take the engine and dump the chassis like so many others have done before me. Since owning, driving and understanding the car I'm going the complete opposite direction. I want to restore it. However, since it is technically my wife's car(I own it she drives it), I'm going to restore the interior to as original as possible with her choice of novelty items(see pictures....). The exterior will be how she wants it. Which means a mild body kit and a Onyx black/hot pink two tone paint job.

There is work to be done, unfortunately. The radio doesn't work and the gauge cluster burnt out during a heavy rainfall earlier this month which also means the windshield isn't properly sealed. I am in the process of buying another Cosmo a friend of mine found in the junkyard with better interior and swapping out what needs to be changed and the second Cosmo will be my next project. I haven't decided what I will do with it, but I will return it to where it belongs: on the streets of Japan.

A more recent picture with the Cosmo on 17inch Enkeis with Federal 595SS

Rear picture with my Infini FC beside it

The interior with the radio bits taken out. I was in the process of figuring out the mess of wires the previous owner left for me, since the gauge cluster was inoperable.

And a blurry picture of the engine bay...sorry.

Thanks for posting a bit about yourself and your Cosmo...Glad it didn't become a victim like so many have...How many KMs does it have?

I'm looking forward to see your progress!

It currently has 87,xxx km. If the gauge cluster is burnt up, like I think it is, it's obviously going to change. I'd like the odometer to be the same, but I don't know if I could take it to the dealership and they can change it.

Thanks. :) I'm sure Dino touched it up some because of the rain, but I had it waxed professionally a couple days before.

So, I'm rebuilding my 20B probably next month. I've rebuilt numerous 13b's but it'll be my first time rebuilding a 20B. Are there any pointers you guys would like to offer me? I'm concerned about the e-shaft separation. I haven't seen it done before. Also, I was wondering if there was a way to simplify the vacuum system like there is for the FDs

Simplify the vacuum system? From what I'm told he two systems are very similar!

Kramer

nice ride.. Look on Ebay as there are a few here in the USA that can rebuild the cluster.. I have not used any yet but thought I would share on what I found for the burnt clusters.
as for the e-shaft goes I use a block of wood and a dead blow hammer to tap the 2 pieces of the shaft apart.. I have done this a few tines with out hurting the shaft..
Since you have rebuilt a 13B before than a 20B should not be a problem..

Dan

Thanks for the advice! I'd rather not drop $700 on the used cluster in YAJ. I saw some website that separated the shaft the same way you described. Looks like I'm using that method.

So, I started taking apart the dash today. It's been raining a little bit and found where the windshield was leaking from.....right over the interior fuse box. Oh yeah, it's soaked. The gauge cluster looks fine and dry, so I'm leaning towards the fuse box got shorted out. $200 from the auctions gets me an interior harness with all relays and the fuse box I need. After the rain stops, I'm going to RTV the windshield and swap out what I need to swap out. Hopefully, that'll fix this JC and I can focus all my energy on the one that needs it the most.

dont use RTV.. it is acidic and will eat the body.. it will take a few years to do this but I have been there and it is not fun having a body shop fix it..

Dan

Okay, so what can I use as a temp fix until I can get the car to a glass shop? I need to get the electrical fixed before I can take it to a shop, and I don't want to swap out the relays and end up blowing them again due to rain.

I dont know.. I have had really good body shop guys around me and they just did that kind of fixing for me..

Dan

I'm taking the Cosmo to a glass shop tomorrow so they can fix the seals. Finally! After it gets back from the shop, I'll put in the new fuse box and hopefully the electrical will be fixed.

Are you replacing just the 'fuse box' or the TWS unit that is connected to it also? If you have electrical gremlins and depending on what they are it could be your TWS unit needs a refresh. I had mine done and it fixed all the little gremlins I was having.

Ant

I'm swapping out the whole tws with the fuses and relays. I already ordered a wiring harness with the tws attached. I figured I that'd be the better than swapping relays and risk blowing more and going in circles.

You might find the TWS you have coming also has issues. I acquired 2 in addition to the one on the car and all 3 were bad. 2 had visibly dead capacitors on the board. The TWS is a weak point that has a big impact on the electrics so if things don't improve with the one you have coming I would have it refreshed. I had my Japanese friend use the guy on Yahoo Auctions that does them.

Rgds, Ant

Thanks for the advice. I hope it works out. I'm also having a stuttering issue so I can't step on the gas too hard or the car will jitter and buck slightly. I hope that gets fixed with the new TWS.

Back