msp topspeed

the stepper motor would be the same from protege to protege
Interesting... then where is the tach output controlled as the two have different size tire/wheel combinations. I'm just saying, ever since I installed my MSP cluster over a year ago the RPM reading has been on average 100-200 RPM higher.

when i was all stock i did 130-135, it fluctuated around there. havent topped it out since, speed traps are poping up everywhere in my area.

I thought the MSP's were electronically governed at 131mph?
They are governened somehow as At about 135'ish...Give or take..I either hit fuel cut...or the limiter..I cant remember which....its been years since I did this... and they simply run out of steam up there as well.
top speed is defintiely not 131mph. When I was stock I went 134-135mph and still had room to go on the highway. Not much more though.
It is right around here that they are done...I would like to see this guys 165 in this car...I dont believe it....Modded or not.
Hell..It hard for me to hit 155 on my Friggin Bike...Let alone an MSP.

Also, according to my AFC, my tach display is off by about 200 RPM (tach reads higher). I don't know if this is just factory inaccuracy or if it's because I have an MSP cluster on a P5. They have different stock wheelsizes so is it possible the speedo/tach is off due to different stepper motors?

EDIT: just because people keep asking. THERE IS NO SPEED GOVERNOR ON THESE CARS!
I am not sure...there is something that stops them.
Interesting... then where is the tach output controlled as the two have different size tire/wheel combinations. I'm just saying, ever since I installed my MSP cluster over a year ago the RPM reading has been on average 100-200 RPM higher.
Yes Jon...Factory inaccuracy is rampant in factory Tachs.

And Your speedometer is surely to be off with a different sized tire/wheel combo.

There is one one way to correct it the right way...by adding a Speedometer calibrator....which I know most people..99.9% have not done...nor do they even know whare to look for these items.

i went over 140MPH while running agains my buddies SRT-4

all stock
No you didn't.

What it reads...and what you are actually doing....are two totally different things.

It may read 140...but you may only be doing 125....so relying on the factory speedo as your form of speed verification would give you a false picture.

This is the same reason why some people get different reading sto what they think top speed is.

GPS is the easiest and most affordable way to calculate your real time speed.

If you do not have a SPeedo Calibrator on your car..then your SPeedometer is off, and can be off 10%+ even on a stock car.

Hell ..tire wear can and will play a part in speedometer inaccuaracies as well.
We se this a lot in motorcycle applications and most of the public and typical drivers dont even think to account for the circumferance difference of a new tire vs. a worn out one which can vary greatly.

on cars like the MSP with "low profile" tires, the difference between a new tire and a completely bald tire is minimal, maybe 1 MPH. figure a new tire starts at 11/32" tops, and completely bald (which no one should ever be topping their car out on) 0/32". the extra 1/3 of an inch is not going to play a noticable role in your speedo being off. i do agree that most people's speedometers are inaccurate, however, i don't think that a new tire vs. a old tire will play a huge difference.

^^ you would be surprised...a 1/3'' difference inheight is a lot more on the circumference of a tire.

Trust me..it does play a role...But the fact that the Factory Speedo is off pretty much when it rolls off the assembly line plays more of a role than anything.

EDIT..and BTW...if you were to ahve a tire that measure 11/32 new...and its down to 0/32 or bald..you would have lost 22/32....or 2/3''.

Aghh..you forgot there is tread that plays a role on the circumference of a tire on both sides....Thats a pretty big difference if you ask me.

Last edited:
ah, good point, i never even thought about doubling the tread lost. this is why having two head is better than one i suppose! all praise the forums!

Top speed is electronically governed at 135mph. This is enforced through fuel cut, which sucks at 135 because it broke my wastegate actuator the one time i topped her out. I was going downhill so hit 137, but yah, you don't want to hit fuel cut over 100. Not good.

No you didn't.

What it reads...and what you are actually doing....are two totally different things.

It may read 140...but you may only be doing 125....so relying on the factory speedo as your form of speed verification would give you a false picture.

This is the same reason why some people get different reading sto what they think top speed is.

GPS is the easiest and most affordable way to calculate your real time speed.

If you do not have a SPeedo Calibrator on your car..then your SPeedometer is off, and can be off 10%+ even on a stock car.

Hell ..tire wear can and will play a part in speedometer inaccuaracies as well.
We se this a lot in motorcycle applications and most of the public and typical drivers dont even think to account for the circumferance difference of a new tire vs. a worn out one which can vary greatly.

i hear what your saying, but i tested it again........

i hit 142 per my buddies GPS

Top speed is electronically governed at 135mph. This is enforced through fuel cut, which sucks at 135 because it broke my wastegate actuator the one time i topped her out. I was going downhill so hit 137, but yah, you don't want to hit fuel cut over 100. Not good.

where did you get that info from?

i wanna read more about it.

would a flash chage the top speed of the car?

where did you get that info from?

i wanna read more about it.

would a flash chage the top speed of the car?

Factory Flash wont change your top speed Limiter,. they sell few devices to remove this speed limiter, Its Called Speed Cut Defender, HKS sells them as well as other company brands, i just dont know if they will work on our MSPs. the only known way to do it is with a Full stand alone, like a Haltech, Microtech Etc. i dont have any Top speed limiter because I'm running a full stand alone. Haltech E6X

There is no limiter on these cars! Rev limit is 7250 RPM so unless you hit that while in 5th (which is much faster than 135 mph as has been shown previously) you had some other issue. What was the temperature outside, how many lbs of boost, etc? Chances are something else was wrong there. I cannot stress this enough though - there are no speed limiters! Chances are your wastegate actuator crapped out causing a vacuum leak which caused the cut.

NA proteges are drag-limited due to the lack of power.
FI proteges are gear-limited due to the short econo gearing.

There is no limiter on these cars! Rev limit is 7250 RPM so unless you hit that while in 5th (which is much faster than 135 mph as has been shown previously) you had some other issue. What was the temperature outside, how many lbs of boost, etc? Chances are something else was wrong there. I cannot stress this enough though - there are no speed limiters! Chances are your wastegate actuator crapped out causing a vacuum leak which caused the cut.
+1

How many times a year does a thread like this pop up? There is a speed limiter ON THE MSP.. Its been proven time and time again.. Ive hit it multiple times at the same mph.. MP5's and regular protege's may not have a speed limiter, but the MSP does..

How many times a year does a thread like this pop up? There is a speed limiter ON THE MSP.. Its been proven time and time again.. Ive hit it multiple times at the same mph.. MP5's and regular protege's may not have a speed limiter, but the MSP does..
Negative.

Would you like a video of proof? There is a speed limiter on the MSP.. Im more sure about it than my car being blue.. You can stay at WOT all day long and it will hit it everytime..

It hits ~135mph and doesnt let up until it drops below 130, which the speed will then raise back up if you're still at WOT.. You can stay at WOT the whole time and it will still hit the limiter..

Would you like a video of proof? There is a speed limiter on the MSP.. Im more sure about it than my car being blue.. You can stay at WOT all day long and it will hit it everytime..

It hits ~135mph and doesnt let up until it drops below 130, which the speed will then raise back up if you're still at WOT.. You can stay at WOT the whole time and it will still hit the limiter..

I sure will love to see you Hit the Speed Limiter... good idea, make a video..

Back