Mp3 ecu swap questions

i guess i'll add my 2 cents in this...i got my flashed ecu from spicyorangemsp and like previous members have posted the protege will not be a race car unless you throw down some serious cash but even then personally id start of with a better car. but since i have a p5 now why not mod it a bit. i say this ecu mod is a must it makes the car a lot smoother and im extremely glad i did this mod. So to the OP JUST DO IT!!! (hump)

Ya I'm not gona heavily mod it although I can get a full turbo setup for dirt cheap ( still being debated) but suspension is another ball game with these cars. If only they came stock with the v6 lol. But my greatest complaint by far is lack of power

Putting an MSP turbo set to 0.5 PSI will outperform anything the MP3 ECU modification will do.

Turbo is the only true power mod that is "Bang For Buck".

Sadly it has a huge initial cost with a huge return.

Thanks for the help guys. I will probably wait till my tank is close to empty to install the ECU so I can fill up with premium and get the full effect. Seems like there are no negatives to doing this, might as well since the previous owner threw it in for free.

As for power, on paper this car doesn't look fast, but banging through the first couple gears is always good fun. Also I think that because it is a smaller car it just feels a lot faster. The previous car I drove was a 1995 Impala SS with a stroker motor and some bolt ons. Pretty much kicked you back in your seat at just about any speed. Great fun, and I'm not going to say the protege feels anything like that, but within a few seconds I would be going fast enough to basically be thrown in jail by California law. With the protege I can ring out the car without going way too fast, and in its own way can be more fun sometimes. Two totally different cars, but each tons of fun in their own way.

Ya, I've never gotten that impression with the protege. Hell my 91 civic with dual point d15 non vtec and straight piped with bad piston rings had a car length on the protege from 0-60. It was rated at 90 chp stock. But it was fun to annoy people with a rediculously loud exhaust an go nowhere. Then I got my 323 and haven't looked back. But different strokes for different folks.

Brian is right, if its power your looking for you need to boost it. If you're just going for a bit more power to get over hills and up to speed in a decent amount of time mp3 ecu will put you on your way, but you will still need more

^^true dat I have a simota cai and a mazdaspeed axle back and it's a decent drive...if I had the money I'd turbocharge this baby but I gots bills...I'm just making the car into something I'd enjoy driving...short shifter to be installed soon and sway bars and struts/spring will be next...pretty much "all show some go"

Installed the ECU today. Really made quite the difference. Made sure I waited till I could fill up with premium to get the full effect. My car would lug and jerk back and forth quite a bit in stop and go traffic at really anything under 2000 rpm. That is pretty much all gone now. The power band is definitely smoother too. The car just feels a bit more refined now. Very satisfied.

Back