Mp3 ecu swap questions

204vividPro5

:
2002 Mazda pro5
Hey guys I have a couple questions... I've been reading that the Mp3 ecu helps the mp5 somehow with gains? How exactly is it getting gains over the mp5 ecu? What's special about the Mp3 ecu? My wife has a 2001 Protege sedan with the 2.0 is the that the ecu I'm after? Would the mp5 ecu work in my wife's mp3? We just use our sedan as a daily and grocery getter. I don't want to screw hers up if the mp5 ecu doesn't work in her car if I swapped. Both our protgs are 5 speeds, I've searched but looking for specific answers

The MP3 ECU has more aggressive timing.

you need to run 91 Oct

you will not see any gains unless the intake and exhaust are swapped over too.

Swap

Intake and exhaust swapped over as in aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake? I have both if that's the case... Would that mp5 ecu work with no problems in my wife's 2001 Protege if I swapped

I'm fine with running 91 octane, fuel is cheap right now and in these cars

Last edited:
Delete VTCS (search if you don't know what this is) when you put the ECU in.

Just to help you understand a little bit, in 2001 Mazda made 1500 mp3's do a google search on them. A regular 2.0 protege will not have that ecu stock. I have read without seeing proof that the ecu alone can give 5-10 whp by its self. You do not need an intake or exhaust to see any gains. It will also make your gas milage better

It is one of the best mods you can do to an NA protege

Thanks

Ya I know to delete the VTCS if I swapped in a mp3 ecu, if there was only 1500 Mazda mp3's made how do you check? If I check the VIN numbers? Would that confirm anything

Hers is just a 2001 Protege lx. I'm going to look for one locally for my p5 but what do I look for on the ecu to confirm its a Mp3 ecu

i think there is a guy here who will flash any protege ECU into either a MSP ecu or a MP3 ecu...

and the manifold thing

I have one from my P5 I sold a couple years ago. Let me know if you're interested. Its from an mp3 and not a reflash.

Last edited:
Running MP3 ECU for ~6 months

I have been running the MP3 ECU for about six months. Bought it from SpicyOrange through his ebay store.

I will start with the bad news. Details can be found elsewhere but here is my summary

VCTS was installed for emissions during cold start; it warms the first catalytic converter quicker. This provides the P5 with the ULEV rating. MP3 ECU eliminates this function.

Now for the good news.

As tweety2300 said, it is easily the best single performance mod for N/A P5. Coupled with synthetic trans/motor oil, the removal of my roof rack, Simota CAI and the MP3 ECU, my top end power and efficiency is amazing. The car has passing power as the acceleration from 60 MPH to 80 MPH is phenomenal compared to stock. Acceleration on hills is an actual thing now. I have also brought my cruising RPM lower, so now 55 MPH is below 3000 RPM, though I attribute that to synthetic oils more than anything (Redline FTW).

The only drawback is that the power is mostly above ~2700 RPM. I am looking for mods with low end power. I need a cat-back exhaust and I really want a header.

Other than performance, it makes the car easier to drive in some ways. The start up chatter (the loud slapping sound on start up) is completely eliminated. The car still has a typical cold-start procedure of ~1500 RPM idle, then dropping to ~1000 then lowering to normal, which for me is just under the 750 hash mark. I wait until it goes down to ~1000 RPM before rolling out.

Shifting is better (also paired with redline trans oil) and acceleration is smoother because the intake is not suddenly changing air flows.

TL;DR: Loses ULEV, changes low RPM dynamics especially during cold start; gains smoother acceleration all around, high speed and RPM performance, becomes a beast on highways. Highly recommended, would buy again.

Thanks!

That's extremely helpful feed back bud, I think this is going to be my next mod. I hate my p5's top end especially highway passing and speeds..

I have been running the MP3 ECU for about six months. Bought it from SpicyOrange through his ebay store.

I will start with the bad news. Details can be found elsewhere but here is my summary

VCTS was installed for emissions during cold start; it warms the first catalytic converter quicker. This provides the P5 with the ULEV rating. MP3 ECU eliminates this function.

Now for the good news.

As tweety2300 said, it is easily the best single performance mod for N/A P5. Coupled with synthetic trans/motor oil, the removal of my roof rack, Simota CAI and the MP3 ECU, my top end power and efficiency is amazing. The car has passing power as the acceleration from 60 MPH to 80 MPH is phenomenal compared to stock. Acceleration on hills is an actual thing now. I have also brought my cruising RPM lower, so now 55 MPH is below 3000 RPM, though I attribute that to synthetic oils more than anything (Redline FTW).

The only drawback is that the power is mostly above ~2700 RPM. I am looking for mods with low end power. I need a cat-back exhaust and I really want a header.

Other than performance, it makes the car easier to drive in some ways. The start up chatter (the loud slapping sound on start up) is completely eliminated. The car still has a typical cold-start procedure of ~1500 RPM idle, then dropping to ~1000 then lowering to normal, which for me is just under the 750 hash mark. I wait until it goes down to ~1000 RPM before rolling out.

Shifting is better (also paired with redline trans oil) and acceleration is smoother because the intake is not suddenly changing air flows.

TL;DR: Loses ULEV, changes low RPM dynamics especially during cold start; gains smoother acceleration all around, high speed and RPM performance, becomes a beast on highways. Highly recommended, would buy again.

Back