Morimoto HID kit from TRS, review

Just want to add that the LED headlight technology is here now, Honda/Acura and Toyota has them in their cars, I'm sure the design of the headlights are different than halogen type. LED for the aftermarket just not quite there yet.

LED is definitely there OEM. The Escalade had it years ago on their Platinum package. The new units are direct driver/lens combinations and are insanely bright. The new BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar ones are insane and put all else to shame. I've never seen such a sharp cutoff on ALL sides of the beam. It looks like someone drew a beam pattern on the ground and the light fills it exactly.

Yeah, I'm aware (and somewhat jealous) of the OEM LED awsomeness out there. This being a thread about a plug-in retrofit, I thought it was clear that this was what I was talking about, but I see now that it wasen't. Thank you guys for the clarifications! :)

The XB35/XB55 ballast are coming in Mid-November or a lot later (January...) according to TRS...
attachment.php

Well, TRS finally released the new XB35 ballast and the kit is on sale right now for ~$145 after coupon for Black Friday

Now that the new ballsats are out, this is not as relevant, but there might be a few of the old DSP model floating around out there on sale. So for the record, as of now I have had zero problems with my ballasts. My bulbs have allways lit up instantaneously and warmed up in about 10 seconds, even at -15C, even on auto setting as my motor was cranking using up most of my battery's juice. I've read of some problems with the DSP ballast on some cars when lights are set to auto setting. The CX-5 is definately not one of the problem cars.

I will probably be back this spring with my impressions of driving with these all winter long on dark rural two-lane roads.

Now that the new ballsats are out, this is not as relevant, but there might be a few of the old DSP model floating around out there on sale. So for the record, as of now I have had zero problems with my ballasts. My bulbs have allways lit up instantaneously and warmed up in about 10 seconds, even at -15C, even on auto setting as my motor was cranking using up most of my battery's juice. I've read of some problems with the DSP ballast on some cars when lights are set to auto setting. The CX-5 is definately not one of the problem cars.

I will probably be back this spring with my impressions of driving with these all winter long on dark rural two-lane roads.

Installed my morimoto 35watt 3 months ago and also no issues in cold starts (calgary was down to -25c recently with suv outside). Love driving on a nice dark road especially when the moon is hidden away :)

Just bought the kit from the Black Friday sale as Christmas gift for me :) will post impression once install. On it way now, can't wait.

Just bought the kit from the Black Friday sale as Christmas gift for me :) will post impression once install. On it way now, can't wait.

If you have any questions about the install, just let me know, I'll be glad to help if I can.

So, the XB35 is needed or not?
If you look at my initial review on the last beam pattern picture, you might notice two faint black bars, one over each hotspot. I believe that these are the shadows of the return ground wire of the xb35 bulb. The normal bulbs would probably cast that shadow on the ground, which would be distracting. So yes, you should probably get the xb35.

For now, I have the cheap setup and I'm OK with it for a while. Later on, I will upgrade to these.
I don't see that line on my bulbs, this is only a Morimoto "feature"?

Its not a line, its the return wire (big black bar next to the bulb on picture below)

s0ylcFQ.jpg

On normal bulbs, the wire ends up on top of the bulb, creating a shadow in the ground. On the XB35, the wire ends up on the bottom so there is no problem.

Thanks for that, but I knew about the "line".
What I don't understand, that there is a difference between other bulbs and this XB35 bulb?
I have the cheap ones on my car and I don't notice that line, reflected on the wall.

The only difference I know of, is that the XB35 has the return wire on the other side if the bulb, and that on some Asian made cars, this can solve the problem of a distracting shadow being cast on the ground. Now I have never installed anything else but the XB35 bulb in my car, so I really don't know for certain that a shadow would be cast on the ground with the normal bulb. I do see a very faint shadow in the leaked light above the cutoff which I attribute to the ground return wire, so I can only suppose that a shadow would be cast on the ground should the return wire be positioned the other way around.

Now the fact that you don't see any shadow with your "cheap" setup can mean three things

1. the CX-5 does not suffer from the shadow problem and a normal bulb from TRS would be OK
  2. the cheap bulb you have is was rebased to have its return wire in the same position as the XB35 or
  3. the cheap bulb you have is not as well positioned in the reflector housing, causing a more diffuse light to be cast (out of focus) thus blurring the shadow so much it cannot be seen

I think #3 is a distinct possibility, but I guess we will never know untill someone tries a good TRS standard bulb. I got the XB35 imedeately to avoid the hassle of having to return the bulb.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up vroom. I just installed my morimoto kit I ordered from TRS, and got the revised ballasts. They have a completely different mounting bracket, which cannot be mounted in the same positions as the old style, FYI. I also used some heavy duty zip-ties as well as some sticky-back felt (to protect paint). I can take more pictures of my engine bay when time allows (it's late here). Just thought I'd spread the word. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Thanks for the write-up vroom. I just installed my morimoto kit I ordered from TRS, and got the revised ballasts. They have a completely different mounting bracket, which cannot be mounted in the same positions as the old style, FYI. I also used some heavy duty zip-ties as well as some sticky-back felt (to protect paint). I can take more pictures of my engine bay when time allows (it's late here). Just thought I'd spread the word. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Just out of curiosity, how much time was involved in the install?

Just out of curiosity, how much time was involved in the install?

Well, once I had the zip-ties, it all went together within a matter of about 15 minutes. But I spent about 30 mins the night previous trying to figure out how to mount everything. Also forgot to mention that I had to bore out the pre-drilled relay bracket hole slightly to fit one of their bolts through it.

My $30 DDM Tuning Hids did not last a year so I ordered this Morimoto Kit with TRSXMAS15 promotion code(15% off).
Hoping it will outperform the former hid kit

My $30 DDM Tuning Hids did not last a year so I ordered this Morimoto Kit with TRSXMAS15 promotion code(15% off).
Hoping it will outperform the former hid kit
Interesting. Mine have been in for over a year and are OK (but I know they're cheap and could blow anytime). Do you know what went? ... the bulb(s) or the ballast?

Interesting. Mine have been in for over a year and are OK (but I know they're cheap and could blow anytime). Do you know what went? ... the bulb(s) or the ballast?

It was the passenger side ballast. It was mounted with a single screw and probably killed it due to vibration. The driver's side, I used double sided tape and survived. Returned it last week for an RMA since DDM Tuning has a lifetime warranty on those.

Back