Mike's 2018 CX-9 Signature

Over the weekend, I used an app called Track Addict to record a 0-100km/h comparison between Map0 on the JB4 and Map2 on the JB4, both on 91 octane. I did both of these runs with TCS off, and it really made me regret cheaping out on tires with these Nexens. Lots of wheelspin in both runs, but definitely more with Map2 enabled.

Anyway, Map0 run was 7.9s. Map2 run was 7.3s.

These times could be improved with 93 octane, better tires, cooler weather, and TCS on. Ambient temp was around 30c when I did them.

Edit: Tagging @Fawiek

Did a drain and fill on the ATF yesterday. Fluid came out coffee-coloured, and it doesn't smell burnt at all. Drained about 4.5qts to a slow drip from the pan, then let the fluid sit outside with the new ATF to allow both to reach ambient temps. I refilled with the same amount of new Mazda ATF FZ.

This is not the ideal way to do an ATF change as the service process calls for allowing the fluid to reach 122*f before taking a reading on the dipstick to ensure the level is correct. I did not have any issues with the transmission before the drain and fill, and the fluid came out looking fine, so I decided to just refill with the same amount that was drained out (after allowing both fluids to reach the same ambient temp).

Removed the air filter so I could access the dipstick. It's a little tight in there, thankfully I had a small ratchet handy. The transmission dipstick is circled in red.
20230528_191133.jpg

Lowering one side of the underbody plastic shielding to get access to the transmission drain plug. This was the most time consuming part of the fluid change, because I was using hand tools and there are about 8 screws and 6 plastic fasteners to remove if you want to take the whole panel off. I removed the 8 screws and 4 of the fasteners before realizing I could just pull the plastic down and have enough room to do what I needed to do.
20230528_195952.jpg

New fluid vs old fluid.
20230528_202900.jpg

3 funnel set up to fill.
20230528_204120.jpg

That doesn’t seem to be as similar to my experience as I would expect. I can’t seem to find my results anymore but I thought they were faster? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
That doesn’t seem to be as similar to my expert as I am would expect. I can’t seem to find my results anymore but I thought they were faster? Any thoughts?

Are you referring to the 0-100 times I posted comparing the JB4 maps? Yeah, I've noticed that C&D and a few other sources have tested the CX-9 for 0-60mph times and they usually are around the 7.1-7.3ish mark. Some related factors include them having access to 93 while I'm stuck with 91, them possibly doing their runs with the TCS on, different tires, and launching the car differently (I didn't brake boost the car for my runs). I'm sure they also have access to more accurate testing equipment. I used a free app.

I just now realized that I had a 45lb bulgarian bag in the trunk when I did those runs, but I don't think that would make much of a difference.

Maybe I'll try brake boosting a couple of runs, now that I've got some new ATF in the transmission and the shifts feel "cleaner".

Are you referring to the 0-100 times I posted comparing the JB4 maps? Yeah, I've noticed that C&D and a few other sources have tested the CX-9 for 0-60mph times and they usually are around the 7.1-7.3ish mark. Some related factors include them having access to 93 while I'm stuck with 91, them possibly doing their runs with the TCS on, different tires, and launching the car differently (I didn't brake boost the car for my runs). I'm sure they also have access to more accurate testing equipment. I used a free app.

I just now realized that I had a 45lb bulgarian bag in the trunk when I did those runs, but I don't think that would make much of a difference.

Maybe I'll try brake boosting a couple of runs, now that I've got some new ATF in the transmission and the shifts feel "cleaner".
It's definitely closer with the 7.0 Seco ds to 60 with 93+ fuel -- confirmed this a few times. 87 and 91 octane will have the same performance (0-60 in about 8.0 seconds) but 91 feels smoother on the engine vs 87.

My 0-60 on 94 from Petro-Canada brings consistent 7.0 runs. This is without any performance mods whatsoever.

Yeah I was talking about the 0-100 times. I had thought I broke 7 seconds (0-60mph which will be slightly faster than 0-100kph) with the JB4 but again, can’t find the screenshots. Does it feel faster? Worth the money to you?

It's definitely closer with the 7.0 Seco ds to 60 with 93+ fuel -- confirmed this a few times. 87 and 91 octane will have the same performance (0-60 in about 8.0 seconds) but 91 feels smoother on the engine vs 87.

My 0-60 on 94 from Petro-Canada brings consistent 7.0 runs. This is without any performance mods whatsoever.

Wish my Petro had 93+. The station itself is much closer than the one I regularly fuel up at.

Yeah I was talking about the 0-100 times. I had thought I broke 7 seconds (0-60mph which will be slightly faster than 0-100kph) with the JB4 but again, can’t find the screenshots. Does it feel faster? Worth the money to you?

I'm sure you did! Were you on 93 at the time?

It definitely feels faster with the JB4. Its most noticeable in the upper RPM range, from around 3kish onwards. It just pulls much more consistently.

I'm sure you did! Were you on 93 at the time?

It definitely feels faster with the JB4. Its most noticeable in the upper RPM range, from around 3kish onwards. It just pulls much more consistently.
Yeah, Costco sells 93 here so it’s easy to get on a week day morning. I do recall feeling like the vehicle had more power after 3500ish instead of falling flat. We are also close to sea level so no issue with lack of oxygen (however small that may be with a forced induction engine).

Yeah, Costco sells 93 here so it’s easy to get on a week day morning. I do recall feeling like the vehicle had more power after 3500ish instead of falling flat. We are also close to sea level so no issue with lack of oxygen (however small that may be with a forced induction engine).
Where abouts are you? Costco in ON, Canada sells 91 as their top tier gas.

In Ottawa all the Petro Canada sells 94. It is pretty expensive though.

In reality, Car and driver runs a 5mph to 60 mph. So their time are always a bit faster than stand still 0-60. They made an article about it a while ago explaining the reasons but can’t find it.

Edit: Heres is an article from road and track explaining the reason for the 5-60 test. They mention that car and driver invented it.

Last edited:
Also, here are a few unedited pics after wiping the car down with a quick detailer blend I use (Sonax BSD, P&S BeadMaker, and distilled water). Pictures were taken using my wife's Galaxy S7. Love the MGM paint!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Any issues making a turn with those bigger rims?

Biggest factor is brake torqing. Magazines will always brake torque to get the best times because they don't care about longevity of the transmission. Then, there is also the BS of "rollout" subtracted times which give the car an extra .3 seconds over actual, real world times.

Any issues making a turn with those bigger rims?

Oops, not sure how I missed this. Sorry for the late reply!

No, I have no issues making turns with these wheels. My wife, on the other hand, loves to come home with a new curb mark on one of the wheels least once a month.. 🤦

Changed the oil over the weekend, at 96k kms now.

Today I cleaned the engine air filter (AEM Dryflow).

20230821_174046.jpg

20230821_174520.jpg

20230821_174355.jpg

While waiting for the filter to dry, I decided to clean my nasty engine bay.

20230821_173553.jpg

20230821_202626.jpg

20230821_202640.jpg

Much better!

Here's a quick video of me cleaning the engine bay:

Back