Mike's 2018 CX-9 Signature

Yeah it does. You can probably spot the pull tab in the top right corner, lol
I did and thought it was the start of more cracking haha! Enjoy the new screen! Nothing like that to spruce up the interior. It's a shame they couldn't retro that new generation system in for you. Having that wider screen and new UI in my '22 makes a world of difference to making it feel more modern.

I did and thought it was the start of more cracking haha! Enjoy the new screen! Nothing like that to spruce up the interior. It's a shame they couldn't retro that new generation system in for you. Having that wider screen and new UI in my '22 makes a world of difference to making it feel more modern.

Yeah that would have been really nice if they could do that. I didn't even bother asking, I just assumed that it can't be done.

Still haven’t installed the JB4? 😏

Oops, missed this reply somehow. Nope, still just mounted up in the engine bay but not connected lol. I swear I'll do it once the weather gets warmer, I've decided to just drop the bumper and get it done. When I do that, I think I'll also install and test the aftermarket horns I bought about a year and a half ago.

The horns after I painted them. They were a bit scratched up upon arrival.

IMG_20200204_221904.jpg

Finally updated the firmware for the first time. V59.00.502 NA N to V74.00.324 NA N.

On a whole, the infotainment system feels a bit faster all around, with noted reduction in boot time and phone pairing. I also went through some of the settings quickly and it seems that a few minor features were added, like Emergency Assist Dialing in the Bluetooth menu.

I looked into the firmware update and I'm nervous that I'm gonna brick it. So I'm still stuck on some older version, 54 or something like that. But the faster boot times seems like something to reconsider. I really hate the long boot times it has now.

I looked into the firmware update and I'm nervous that I'm gonna brick it. So I'm still stuck on some older version, 54 or something like that. But the faster boot times seems like something to reconsider. I really hate the long boot times it has now.

Yeah, that's part of why I put it off for so long. I didn't want to risk bricking the system. Since mine was on 59.XX when I started, I was able to skip the failsafe installation.

Sounds like @OCanada can provide the failsafe version (V70.00.100) and install instructions. If you send me a PM I can direct you to the update files for V74.00.324A after you've updated to the failsafe version. (y)

Yeah, that's part of why I put it off for so long. I didn't want to risk bricking the system. Since mine was on 59.XX when I started, I was able to skip the failsafe installation.

Sounds like @OCanada can provide the failsafe version (V70.00.100) and install instructions. If you send me a PM I can direct you to the update files for V74.00.324A after you've updated to the failsafe version. (y)
Hey man I made a Youtube Video for everything and has the links to all the old firmwares, please take a look at it sorry for the late reply bro, been a bit busy with exam season! I updated from 59 to 70 to 74 on my 2017 CX5 without issues! :D Even got CarPlay installed!
Thanks bro!

Any fellow Canadian greetings from Ottawa, ON bro :) (the mess of our capital) anyways man take a look at this Mazda Firmware Update guide for Mac and Windows 11 (2023) - Link included
I made the video it may help you, and FYI I went from 59 to 70 to 74 and holy s*** 70/74 is much much smoother its really worth it, plus I was able to install CarPlay myself (you need to have 70+ I think to get CarPlay module installed) so yeah! Saved like $350 CAD compared to the dealership.
For Ref I have a 2017 CX-5 got it from my buddy two weeks ago sold from Quebec.

Oil change, coming up on 88k kms. Only had a 4.73L jug of oil left so I need to stop by Costco on my way home from work to get more oil and top off a bit.

20230412_185550.jpg

Oil change, coming up on 88k kms. Only had a 4.73L jug of oil left so I need to stop by Costco on my way home from work to get more oil and top off a bit.

View attachment 318504
I am so happy we don't require front license plates on passenger vehicles here in NS. Is yours using a tow hook mount?

I am so happy we don't require front license plates on passenger vehicles here in NS. Is yours using a tow hook mount?

Yeah, it takes so much away from the look of any car. I'm thinking about removing it this summer, just to see if I'll get pulled over for it.

Yes, it's mounted using a Rho-plate tow hook mount.

View attachment 318504
Speaking of stupid front licence plates here in Ontario I was able to get a OEM front licence plate mounting bracket for my Cx5 2017. I’m gonna make a video on it soon but baiscally under the front grills radar sensor there are cut outs for the licence plate holder that you can use without using tow hooks. I dislike it but what can you do it’s the law here. So far I’ve only done Apple CarPlay/android auto and this little licence plate upgrade. Only issue is it would be permanent attachment to the car. It’s part
MAZ KB8A-50-170. Not sure if it’s different for different Mazda models though.

Are you sure you're not just advertising for Costco? Tools are too clean and missing shop towels lol jk

Lol I hadn't started yet. After I took this pic, I had to run back inside for a step ladder, a tarp, a bunch of extra plastic pop screws and... a couple of shop towels. Hah

Speaking of stupid front licence plates here in Ontario I was able to get a OEM front licence plate mounting bracket for my Cx5 2017. I’m gonna make a video on it soon but baiscally under the front grills radar sensor there are cut outs for the licence plate holder that you can use without using tow hooks. I dislike it but what can you do it’s the law here. So far I’ve only done Apple CarPlay/android auto and this little licence plate upgrade. Only issue is it would be permanent attachment to the car. It’s part
MAZ KB8A-50-170. Not sure if it’s different for different Mazda models though.

Yeah I got a front plate mount when I bought my car, but because I bought it in Alberta, where front plates are not required, they never bothered to install it. When I moved back to Manitoba, I didn't want to put any holes into the front bumper, so I went with the tow hook mount instead.

I finally installed the JB4, after some hiccups that involved the steering wheel to seat linkage were sorted out :LOL:

20230419_175827.jpg

Taking off the bumper is a lot less scary to me now. There are a ridiculous number of plastic fasteners and screws. Almost all of the fasteners broke while I was trying to remove them.. it's a good thing I anticipated this and had a bunch of cheap replacements available from AliExpress. When I put the bumper back on, I left some of the screws and fasteners off on purpose, just to make access a little easier when I have some time to install the horns I bought.

While taking the bumper off the first time, I had to remove my license plate tow hook mount. While removing the mount, one of the bolts broke off in the mount, and now I can't reinstall it. So I'm running without a front plate for now.. let's see how long I can get away with this, lol.

JB4 is currently disabled because I have 87 in the car. Will report back when I've got 91 in the car and I can change to Map1.

Back