2013~2016 Messed up my ATF swap nicely. Forgot to put on 10mm on dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2015 Mazda Cx-5 Touring Sport 2.5l AWD
Did the atf drain and refill geesh about 2 years ago. Just now realized the bolt that keeps the dipstick locked down is missing. The reason I was checking bc it was shifting harder than usual and on top of that it has rolled while in park once or twice. When it rolled it was parked on a steep hill and I was giving a friend a jump and I was able to hop in and throw the parking break on but I was in utter disbelief. That was two weeks ago and I’ve just now checked the fluid it was at the minimum line while warm. Put a 2/3 quart in and was at the mid level.

So I’m going to zip tie that dipstick down and order that 10mm. And probably schedule and appt to get it looked at.

It was dirty around the dipstick so obviously it’s been splashing out and getting who knows what back in. Wondering if I should just do the fluid change again and compare the fluids and go from there. Crazy how it slowly rolled while in park, I didn’t hear anything break or anything it just started to slowly roll. Thoughts? Besides I should never touch a vehicle again smh

I’m getting 28.5 mpg freeway vs 25.0 when it was low. I thought my brakes were dragging, but alas

Did the atf drain and refill geesh about 2 years ago. Just now realized the bolt that keeps the dipstick locked down is missing. The reason I was checking bc it was shifting harder than usual and on top of that it has rolled while in park once or twice. When it rolled it was parked on a steep hill and I was giving a friend a jump and I was able to hop in and throw the parking break on but I was in utter disbelief. That was two weeks ago and I’ve just now checked the fluid it was at the minimum line while warm. Put a 2/3 quart in and was at the mid level.

So I’m going to zip tie that dipstick down and order that 10mm. And probably schedule and appt to get it looked at.

It was dirty around the dipstick so obviously it’s been splashing out and getting who knows what back in. Wondering if I should just do the fluid change again and compare the fluids and go from there. Crazy how it slowly rolled while in park, I didn’t hear anything break or anything it just started to slowly roll. Thoughts? Besides I should never touch a vehicle again smh
Car moving while the the automatic transmission is in Park position has nothing to do with ATF level. There’s a parking pawl that locks up the transmission gear to prevent vehicle moving. Try to test your CX-5 again on a slop carefully. If the transmission in Park failed to lock up the car moving again, you have bigger problem. Always use parking brake to prevent the damage to the parking pawl or the engaging gear:

If the ATF dipstick is still in place not coming up and loose, I’d say the damage is minimum to have the dirt getting into the transmission.

But you have to add ⅔ quart to bring the ATF level from “minimum line” to the “mid level”? Firstly there’s no minimum line and mid level mark, only a small section of “central marker area” for proper ATF level at 50°C / 122°F while the engine is idling. Secondly adding ⅔ quart of ATF seems to be a lot as the total ATF needed is only ~3.75 quarts for ATF drain-and-fill.

05D7B5AF-0E95-43FE-9302-20E316B09AD7.jpeg

Last edited:
My first car, a Chevy Nova, would roll down a hill making a click click click noise, as the paw must have been broken. Then when I watched the movie Beverly Hills Cop, Axel Foley had basically the same exact car as me, and in the movie his car rolled down a hill with the same click click click noise lol

Car moving while the the automatic transmission is in Park position has nothing to do with ATF level. There’s a parking pawl that locks up the transmission gear to prevent vehicle moving. Try to test your CX-5 again on a slop carefully. If the transmission in Park failed to lock up the car moving again, you have bigger problem. Always use parking brake to prevent the damage to the parking pawl or the engaging gear:

If the ATF dipstick is still in place not coming up and loose, I’d say the damage is minimum to have the dirt getting into the transmission.

But you have to add ⅔ quart to bring the ATF level from “minimum line” to the “mid level”? Firstly there’s no minimum line and mid level mark, only a small section of “central marker area” for proper ATF level at 50°C / 122°F while the engine is idling. Secondly adding ⅔ quart of ATF seems to be a lot as the total ATF needed is only ~3.75 quarts for ATF drain-and-fill.

Exactly what Yrwei said about the parking pawl.

"The reason I was checking bc it was shifting harder than usual and on top of that it has rolled while in park once or twice. When it rolled it was parked on a steep hill and I was giving a friend a jump and I was able to hop in and throw the parking break on but I was in utter disbelief."

You were parking on a steep hill and didn't bother to set the parking brake? Even though you know that it had rolled while in park before this? Amazing.

I'm sure that your parking pawl is damaged because, as Yrwei stated, rolling while in park has nothing to do with ATF.

Exactly what Yrwei said about the parking pawl.

"The reason I was checking bc it was shifting harder than usual and on top of that it has rolled while in park once or twice. When it rolled it was parked on a steep hill and I was giving a friend a jump and I was able to hop in and throw the parking break on but I was in utter disbelief."

You were parking on a steep hill and didn't bother to set the parking brake? Even though you know that it had rolled while in park before this? Amazing.

I'm sure that your parking pawl is damaged because, as Yrwei stated, rolling while in park has nothing to do with ATF.
Sure is amazing a human made a mistake, that’s why I hardly post on forums bc ppl are jerks. Thanks for your helpful insight.

View attachment 305558
Thx for the reply with useful info. wonder if a certain notch on the transmission gear is rounded off and I only have problems when I hit that notch? I’ve tested and couldn’t recreate. Maybe only a half quart was added since I spilled a bit trying to make it to the funnel deep in the engine bay.

Sure is amazing a human made a mistake, that’s why I hardly post on forums bc ppl are jerks. Thanks for your helpful insight.

Look man, if you post on a car forum and admit to a boneheaded move and not expect to be called out on it a bit, then you haven't been paying attention. Don't admit to making such a mistake if you have thin skin.

Perhaps me calling you out on this might prevent you from doing it in the future? (not likely, I know) I'm talking about the mistake, not you posting about it.

What if you made this mistake and instead of your car rolling forward a bit before you were "able to hop in and throw the parking break on" you weren't successful in applying the parking brake in time and someone got killed as a result?

We all get comfortable/ complacent and make mistakes usually to the detriment of ourselves more so than others.

Sometimes we get very very lucky and we keep all our fingers and toes.

And hopefully we learn our lessons before serious consequences occur.

And sometimes being called out on something even if we've realized our mistakes and even if it seems rude, helps to reinforce that safety should be #1.

Last edited:
Look man, if you post on a car forum and admit to a boneheaded move and not expect to be called out on it a bit, then you haven't been paying attention. Don't admit to making such a mistake if you have thin skin.

Perhaps me calling you out on this might prevent you from doing it in the future? (not likely, I know) I'm talking about the mistake, not you posting about it.

What if you made this mistake and instead of your car rolling forward a bit before you were "able to hop in and throw the parking break on" you weren't successful in applying the parking brake in time and someone got killed as a result?
I love getting called out if it’s done in a socially skillful way instead you make multiple patronizing statements “amazing”, “not likely, I know”

I never thought about the car rolling and killing someone! Especially when I had a family member die in a similar accident. Didn’t really cross my mind that my two kids could have been killed either . Boy I’m glad you’re here to tell me. And your approach made me so receptive to the ahhh information that was previously stated clearly without emotions getting involved. Just had to add your twist of superiority eh? Thanks for showing me the light.

Let’s calm down here…Let me clarify for everyone that these Forums are about being helpful in a friendly manner and not in a way that’s condescending, patronizing, judgmental and or insulting etc. Such negativity prevents constructive discussion and civil discourse which is why it’s also against Site Rules.

Please remember that, thank you.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back