Mazdas are extremely reliable. Don't waste your money on an extended warranty

Yes I agree, if you purchase an extended warranty or service contract hoping for enough things to fail to make the cost of the warranty worth it, you are much, much better off putting that money aside instead.
People don't buy these things "hoping" for things to fail. Complexity of the new era automobiles makes that inevitable. Would you say all the new Mazda engine improvements via new technology (turbo engines with cracked blocks, oils leaks, coolant leaks, CD problems) contributes to something that will be around a long time?
It also amazes me how many people get upset when they don't get to use their extended warranty.
It's a gamble either way nowadays. You have to gauge what you're willing to spend or not spend.
I've only bought 2 extended warranties out of the last 6 new vehicles that I've bought. I'm nearing the end of my current EW and will be using it before it's up (heated seats no longer work, timing cover leaking AGAIN, belt tensioner leaking AGAIN which was also covered by the EW the last time it was replaced). All this on a vehicle with only 72k miles on it. It gets used hard.
To each his own.

People don't buy these things "hoping" for things to fail. Complexity of the new era automobiles makes that inevitable. Would you say all the new Mazda engine improvements via new technology (turbo engines with cracked blocks, oils leaks, coolant leaks, CD problems) contributes to something that will be around a long time?
It also amazes me how many people get upset when they don't get to use their extended warranty.
It's a gamble either way nowadays. You have to gauge what you're willing to spend or not spend.
I've only bought 2 extended warranties out of the last 6 new vehicles that I've bought. I'm nearing the end of my current EW and will be using it before it's up (heated seats no longer work, timing cover leaking AGAIN, belt tensioner leaking AGAIN which was also covered by the EW the last time it was replaced). All this on a vehicle with only 72k miles on it. It gets used hard.
To each his own.
Like anything else, its a cost/benefit analysis.
For a new model that's untested than an EW might be worth it.
Or you buy a model thats been out for a few/several years and has good ratings but then join a forum and learn there's been engine problems. Otherwise it's usually not worth it.

More important is to make sure of what is excluded before purchasing an extended warranty.
Some EW are designed to bring in $$$ without ever paying out or only in very limited circumstances. Stay away from those.

Other EW are designed to be profitable for them but also fix and pay out legitimate claims.

Like anything else make sure what is purchased. Read that fine print and make note of exclusions.

Like anything else, its a cost/benefit analysis.
For a new model that's untested than an EW might be worth it.
Or you buy a model thats been out for a few/several years and has good ratings but then join a forum and learn there's been engine problems. Otherwise it's usually not worth it.

More important is to make sure of what is excluded before purchasing an extended warranty.
Some EW are designed to bring in $$$ without ever paying out or only in very limited circumstances. Stay away from those.

Other EW are designed to be profitable for them but also fix and pay out legitimate claims.

Like anything else make sure what is purchased. Read that fine print and make note of exclusions.
Agreed. That being said, I only buy the manufacturers EW. That being said I got mine for $1300, bumper to bumper from Mazda 5 years ago. I definitely would not pay prices being paid today by some folks. Also keep in mind if some one does decide to buy one, these things are quite negotiable.

To each his own.

Lol, some people absolutely buy these warranties hoping or expecting that things will fail to make it worth it. More than a few examples in this thread.

I agree that it is surprising when people buy a warranty then get annoyed when the car is so reliable that they didn't end up needing it. These are the same people described above.

Both my CX5s have been the most problematic new vehicles I've ever owned. Oil leaks, transmission failures, rear EPB problems, the ever elusive belt tensioner problem which Mazda can't seem to remedy, heating seat element which constantly go bad...
But I still love the vehicle as being the most fun to drive..and good looking and hope to keep it for a long time. But in my experience this brand is not reliable, and I certainly wouldn't buy a model newer than 2016. You can keep the CD and turbo. The turbo is proving to be a costly premature mistake. They had a bullet proof engine and decided to ruin it by improving it.

Both my CX5s have been the most problematic new vehicles I've ever owned. Oil leaks, transmission failures, rear EPB problems, the ever elusive belt tensioner problem which Mazda can't seem to remedy, heating seat element which constantly go bad...
But I still love the vehicle as being the most fun to drive..and good looking and hope to keep it for a long time. But in my experience this brand is not reliable, and I certainly wouldn't buy a model newer than 2016. You can keep the CD and turbo. The turbo is proving to be a costly premature mistake. They had a bullet proof engine and decided to ruin it by improving it.

Certainly the statistics are against what you are saying, if you look at the past 3-5yrs in terms of reliability. I have a 2017 NA Mazda 6, no CD, its been extremely reliable. Plus, with the few exceptions (coolant leak, etc), the turbo engine has been really reliable as well, otherwise you would have heard all over the news, similar to Honda's issues with oil dillution.

After five years of owning my 2017 6 GT, it appears you are bang on with your assessment.
My heated seat element had to be replaced in year two (warranty covered it), and now it has failed again. No warranty coverage this time. Anywhere from $600 and up to replace it. No thanks. The back rest element still works, but not the seat cushion.
I would say 2017 is the best year all around for that engine/drivetrain etc. Once they modified it for CD et al, that was it.

After five years of owning my 2017 6 GT, it appears you are bang on with your assessment.
My heated seat element had to be replaced in year two (warranty covered it), and now it has failed again. No warranty coverage this time. Anywhere from $600 and up to replace it. No thanks. The back rest element still works, but not the seat cushion.
I would say 2017 is the best year all around for that engine/drivetrain etc. Once they modified it for CD et al, that was it.
$600?? Jeez, does it come with gold plated wiring or something?? Yeah, my newer seat cushion only lasted a year.
Funny, I thought all 2017s started with CD, guess I was wrong.

One thing to remember in your assessment - and this is key for any new members and guests browsing these forums - is that people join forums for very specific reasons. They want to learn about a car they are considering buying (or just bought), or they are looking for answers regarding a problem their car is having. Very, very rarely will someone join a forum just to praise the car.

What this means, then, is that on any given forum, you'll see that a lot of the forum threads mostly discuss problems and how to resolve them. That means you'll see a lot of stuff like engine complaints and problems, but it only accounts for a very, very small sample of the cars out there. So yeah, you'll see lots of reports on coolant leaks and cylinder deactivation woes, but it isn't representative of how prevalent an issue is, only that an issue does exist. As an example, on these forums I would estimate that maybe 25-35 users have reported a coolant leak on their 2.5T across Canada and US primarily. US CX-9 sales were lowest in their first year, at around 15k units. That's a pretty low failure rate. Of course, the actual number is probably higher because not all CX-9 owners use Mazda247, or social media in general. Some owners may not even know they have this issue.

If you're looking for an issue, you'll most likely find it on a forum like this, along with a lot of other people who have a similar issue. This makes the issue feel more commonplace than it actually is, but it also means that if/when a solution becomes available, this would be a good place to find it.

One thing to remember in your assessment - and this is key for any new members and guests browsing these forums - is that people join forums for very specific reasons. They want to learn about a car they are considering buying (or just bought), or they are looking for answers regarding a problem their car is having. Very, very rarely will someone join a forum just to praise the car.

What this means, then, is that on any given forum, you'll see that a lot of the forum threads mostly discuss problems and how to resolve them. That means you'll see a lot of stuff like engine complaints and problems, but it only accounts for a very, very small sample of the cars out there. So yeah, you'll see lots of reports on coolant leaks and cylinder deactivation woes, but it isn't representative of how prevalent an issue is, only that an issue does exist. As an example, on these forums I would estimate that maybe 25-35 users have reported a coolant leak on their 2.5T across Canada and US primarily. US CX-9 sales were lowest in their first year, at around 15k units. That's a pretty low failure rate. Of course, the actual number is probably higher because not all CX-9 owners use Mazda247, or social media in general. Some owners may not even know they have this issue.

If you're looking for an issue, you'll most likely find it on a forum like this, along with a lot of other people who have a similar issue. This makes the issue feel more commonplace than it actually is, but it also means that if/when a solution becomes available, this would be a good place to find it.
Disagree, and it's purely an opinion. I think we represent a small fraction of what goes on in the real world. I think quite a few folks might not even be aware if they're even having an issue. I know quite a few people that don't even check their own oil let alone look under the hood for other issues, and I think that is more common place.
The problems are the same though all over the country whatever it is you're talking about and span over a few model years. That makes me think we are a small sampling.

Disagree, and it's purely an opinion. I think we represent a small fraction of what goes on in the real world. I think quite a few folks might not even be aware if they're even having an issue. I know quite a few people that don't even check their own oil let alone look under the hood for other issues, and I think that is more common place.
The problems are the same though all over the country whatever it is you're talking about and span over a few model years. That makes me think we are a small sampling.

That's pretty much exactly what I said

While minor issues arent an issue.

The major issues like cracked cylinder heads are of extreme importance. f.e. Ime, Ford engines are fairly reliable , last long time and even when vehicles old and that engine blows, you can go get a junker engine to keep running. In the rare instance Ford did have engine problems, they issued recalls.

Mazda on other hand, knows engines are defective and still won't recall...and make jump through hoops to get replaced under warranty(and only after you can prove problem exists).

While this is a small sampling, i think there are a lot of owners with engine problems who don't visit forums. This engine problem may be more widespread than it appears. Likewise, I think as these CX-5 gets older, more of these engines will show up defective, maybe after expired warranty.

While I have an extended warranty for another 3 years on my used 2018, I test the oil every oil change and am still uneasy at the prospect of the engine blowing up once it's 7 years old and out of warranty. With a Ford, you'd just go get a salvage engine. With the Mazda, there already very few production, so very few in junkyards. And even if could find one, who would want to get the salvage engine which may have the same problem???

While I love how the CX-5 drives and looks, if this engine blows before it's time, it may be last Mazda for me.

Even if the engine problem was fixed starting with the 2021 years and after, they should still fix these defects for those with older vehicles that had this defect.

It's understandable if a manufacturer doesn't want to replace an engine after warranty on an 8 year old vehicle that's been driven hard and has aged wear and tear. It's another to play the waiting game(and hope the warranty expires) with engines that were defective from the start.

I wish I had found this forum and learned of the defect before my purchase.

Last edited:
Yes it is! Lol, Sorry, chasing down roof repair estimates while I was reading. Obviously not thoroughly enough.

Ouch to roof repair! Hope you can find a good quote from excellent contractors.

If you had, you might still be looking for a vehicle, because nothing out there is perfect, especially in this price range. I suggest that you temper your expectations, and refrain from putting the cart in front of the horse. There's nothing wrong with being cautious, but keep in mind that time spent worrying about a potential issue is time lost enjoying a currently trouble-free car.

While minor issues arent an issue.

The major issues like cracked cylinder heads are of extreme importance. f.e. Ime, Ford engines are fairly reliable , last long time and even when vehicles old and that engine blows, you can go get a junker engine to keep running. In the rare instance Ford did have engine problems, they issued recalls.

Mazda on other hand, knows engines are defective and still won't recall...and make jump through hoops to get replaced under warranty(and only after you can prove problem exists).

While this is a small sampling, i think there are a lot of owners with engine problems who don't visit forums. This engine problem may be more widespread than it appears. Likewise, I think as these CX-5 gets older, more of these engines will show up defective, maybe after expired warranty.

While I have an extended warranty for another 3 years on my used 2018, I test the oil every oil change and am still uneasy at the prospect of the engine blowing up once it's 7 years old and out of warranty. With a Ford, you'd just go get a salvage engine. With the Mazda, there already very few production, so very few in junkyards. And even if could find one, who would want to get the salvage engine which may have the same problem???

While I love how the CX-5 drives and looks, if this engine blows before it's time, it may be last Mazda for me.

Even if the engine problem was fixed starting with the 2021 years and after, they should still fix these defects for those with older vehicles that had this defect.

It's understandable if a manufacturer doesn't want to replace an engine after warranty on an 8 year old vehicle that's been driven hard and has aged wear and tear. It's another to play the waiting game(and hope the warranty expires) with engines that were defective from the start.

The coolant leak issue on the CX9 is certainly widespread enough that the dealership knew what I was talking about the moment I asked for coolant leak check. Turned out my magically disappearing of coolant overtime was not leaking. And now my warranty has expired.

A question opposite of this thread:
Anyone know a dealer who sells a genuine Mazda factory extended warranty (service contract) for a good deal?

The coolant leak issue on the CX9 is certainly widespread enough that the dealership knew what I was talking about the moment I asked for coolant leak check. Turned out my magically disappearing of coolant overtime was not leaking. And now my warranty has expired.
Do you have any written documentation showing you voiced concern to dealership during warranty period? Did they note they checked for coolant leak because customer complained coolant keeps going low. Sadly, it's almost as if you need to document everything now.... Like send an email to corporate website saying "Hey I'm taking it to dealer because it has these problems." Then drive to the dealer and have them check it. And keep sending emails and keep taking it back so then when warranty expires, you can say, hey I brought it in multiple times with this problem but you never fixed it.

$600?? Jeez, does it come with gold plated wiring or something?? Yeah, my newer seat cushion only lasted a year.
Funny, I thought all 2017s started with CD, guess I was wrong.
I too was surprised at what the parts guy told me at the dealership re: seat cushion. I'm not paying that, only to possibly have it fail again in another two years.
There was no CD in 2017. It first came out in 2018.

Back