Mazda Total Advantage Service Plan Pricing

rtah7321

:
Mazda Cx5 2016.5 Touring
Hi All,

Bought a new 2016 GT recently and I am considering the service/maintenance plan from the dealership.

The best I have received so far for the 5 year ultimate is $1450 and $980 for the 3 year.

I am not entirely confident of getting the oil/filter changed at a local garage so thought of exploring the dealership service option.

Any advice if the Mazda Service is a good value or am I taken for a ride here?

Any recommendations for local service shops for Cx5 in the Bay Area is welcome.

If you only want services and maintenance performed by a Mazda dealer, why don't you use "pay as you go" plan? My Mazda dealer charges $60 for oil change with Mazda moly oil which is the most frequent service. It seems an inexpensive service to me. Just make sure to ask for Mazda moly oil and mention that you want 5 empty Mazda moly oil bottle left in your trunk when you do the oil change at your Mazda dealer.

Maxda sends a $20.00 Castrol check to me after every oil change and I present it to the dealer and the changes are free. I thought all Mazda dealers did this?

For my last 2 CX-5's, I have utilized the Mazda Maintenance Programs.

For me these are the benefits:
1. All of the Mazda Recommended services are done by Mazda techs, with Mazda Parts, and to uphold the Factory Warranties.
2. All of your maintenance items are no longer a hassle, and since already paid for, you are protected against the inflation of the oils, labor, and parts for 3-5 years.
3. If you trade in your vehicle before the service contract expires, you can get a prorated refund amount back for the unused portion.

Basically, do the math... How many miles are you going to put on the car? Once knowing that, you can look at the service interval, and figure out how many oil changes, tire rotations, filters, etc you will need over your expected ownership term.

Here is Mazda's view on the plan. http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=accoladesTotalAdvantage

Last edited:
$980 seems like a lot for only 3 years, unless that also includes a new set of tires. Looking at my records, an oil change (synthetic) + tire rotation runs about ~$105 every 7500 miles. I replaced my own cabin air filter for $11. The dealer charges something like $90 for this no-hassle 30-second operation.

All other items on my records have been minor issues covered by the warranty. Indeed, I've spent less than $350 on maintenance (aside from washing) in 3 years of ownership. I'll probably need new tires in the next year or so.

$980 seems like a lot for only 3 years, unless that also includes a new set of tires. Looking at my records, an oil change (synthetic) + tire rotation runs about ~$105 every 7500 miles. I replaced my own cabin air filter for $11.

I agree, that's way too much. I'm on my 4th winter with my CX-5 purchased in 2012 and I've spent less than $250 on maintenance doing it by the book and using Mazda Moly 0W-20 exclusively.

$980 seems like a lot for only 3 years, unless that also includes a new set of tires. Looking at my records, an oil change (synthetic) + tire rotation runs about ~$105 every 7500 miles. I replaced my own cabin air filter for $11. The dealer charges something like $90 for this no-hassle 30-second operation.

All other items on my records have been minor issues covered by the warranty. Indeed, I've spent less than $350 on maintenance (aside from washing) in 3 years of ownership. I'll probably need new tires in the next year or so.

Agreed... How many MILES was the service contract for rtah7321?

Hi All,

Bought a new 2016 GT recently and I am considering the service/maintenance plan from the dealership.

The best I have received so far for the 5 year ultimate is $1450 and $980 for the 3 year.

I am not entirely confident of getting the oil/filter changed at a local garage so thought of exploring the dealership service option.

Any advice if the Mazda Service is a good value or am I taken for a ride here?

Any recommendations for local service shops for Cx5 in the Bay Area is welcome.

Take that "G" and put it towards a future set of tires. Some places like Discount tires offers free lifetime tire rotation/balancing (a $20-$30 dealership value). A Mazda dealership oil change runs about $60 not including Castrol rebates ($20 savings). Purchase your own cabin and engine air filters and change them yourself. Its soo easy it'll make you wanna to slap your momma.

Last edited:
There's 1 thing though: INSPECT this, that, etc., etc. My theory is these dealers see 100 cars, same cars over and over again.

Even if they visually ONLY INSPECT and see brakes, other components, etc. and they will have better chance of noticing something out of the ordinary and preempt actual damage.

I think thus there's value of taking it to a dealership at least during the scheduled maintenance regimes, as stated by Mazda, NOT dealer's own schedules. What I have done before and it worked is these dealership usually run promotions like complimentary checks, etc., etc. It makes sense to do those, I think. Of course if the dealership is bad - then might not even inspect and just return the car but either way doesn't hurt. I usually do my own oil changes, filter changes and tire rotations.

Another thing that has worked for me is: right around say 15,000 miles recommended service, I go to the dealership and indicate some problem, like suspension noise, engine light went on and now off, etc., etc. All dealerships I have visited have this +20 inspection check-list they anyway run, for free. If you carefully look at it, it'll have ALL of the inspection points - Mazda recommends and more. Bottom-line: I use that to have my inspection done and then the actual services - like fluid exchange, drain & fill, etc. : I do it myself.

Last edited:
Agreed... How many MILES was the service contract for rtah7321?

The contract is based on typical mazda service plan i.e 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first.
The rest I believe is based on the Schedule A maintenance service as I live in California .

Last edited:

I am newbie to owning a car so let me know if it is RTM but where are the service records i.e lets say I sell my car after 3 years how I do I prove that I have done periodic maintenance and not go out of warrenty?

I am newbie to owning a car so let me know if it is RTM but where are the service records i.e lets say I sell my car after 3 years how I do I prove that I have done periodic maintenance and not go out of warrenty?

A spreadsheet and keep your receipts

The contract is based on typical mazda service plan i.e 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first.
The rest I believe is based on the Schedule A maintenance service as I live in California .

I am sure there was also a mileage amount, because you can put a lot of miles on a car in 3 yrs! LOL (naughty)

"6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first"
It translates to 3 years or 45000 whichever comes first.
So using that math, the 5 year would be 75,000 miles?

9 oil changes and tire rotations,
3 cabin filters
2 air filters
2 Diff Fluid changes(if its a AWD)

Last edited:
Take that "G" and put it towards a future set of tires. Some places like Discount tires offers free lifetime tire rotation/balancing (a $20-$30 dealership value). A Mazda dealership oil change runs about $60 not including Castrol rebates ($20 savings). Purchase your own cabin and engine air filters and change them yourself. Its soo easy it'll make you wanna to slap your momma.

Hey, I checked the how-to section and I didn't find how to replace the cabin air filter and the engine filter.

can you share some info. Thanks

So I took a pic of the plan that DGDG offers that I bought. I paid about half the price than listed, but thought this would be a good breakdown of everything included for people talking about it.

uCJXKEf.jpg

For more info I copied the cost to own according to edmunds for the CX-5. Unfortunately they only had the 2015 sport awd model, but should be the same

EbV9mag.png

Last edited:
So I took a pic of the plan that DGDG offers that I bought. I paid about half the price than listed, but thought this would be a good breakdown of everything included for people talking about it.

uCJXKEf.jpg

For more info I copied the cost to own according to edmunds for the CX-5. Unfortunately they only had the 2015 sport awd model, but should be the same

EbV9mag.png

According to the manual, and following schedule 2 (the more conservative one):
- Engine air filter is 35,000 miles not 15
- Cabin air filter is 25k. Also, $60 for this service is a joke. You can buy one for $11 on amazon and DIY super easy.

My own observations:
- 5000 miles/5 mos is overkill for synthetic oil, 7500 is what I do and that may be conservative. Once or twice a year. I've seen some folks who had their oil analyzed that suggest you could go 10k easily.
- 3 years on and my original wipers are still in good shape, surprisingly. Never had OEM wipers hold up this long.

Back