Mazda Factory Tour and History

Thanks for posting. Hadn’t seen this video. That engine production line is scary complicated. I recently toured the BMW factory in Munich and that part of their assembly process is almost devoid of human involvement!

That part of the engine assembly line is at the end. Before that it is almost entirely automated. The casting and honing and such are all done by robots and machines. Humans install the valves and cover, and add-ons.

Samurai Wheels is a great show. I try to watch it every week.

That part of the engine assembly line is at the end. Before that it is almost entirely automated. The casting and honing and such are all done by robots and machines. Humans install the valves and cover, and add-ons.

Good point. I recall standing on the catwalk over the BMW engine assembly line and marveling at the automation involved in assembling the major components of the block and head.

Thanks for sharing! Good video... That museum is definitely on my bucket list.

Many years ago the USA Porsche club sponsored a Porsche factory tour in Germany. You could pick up your new Porsche and after the tour, the factory would take new owners on a tour of the country and then to a race track where you could drive your vehicle at racing speeds if you wish. I want so badly to do that but, dollars were scarce in those days. Wouldn't it be nice if Mazda did that. Ed

Thanks for sharing! Good video... That museum is definitely on my bucket list.

it's very much worth going... just be warned that you won't have much time to enjoy it because the English tours are shorter than the Japanese ones

I will be in Japan in March/April 18 and have tentatively booked in to do the museum/factory tour in Hiroshima.

Hopefully it will fit in with our final schedule, if so we will do a day trip down to Hiroshima from Kyoto on the Shinkansen. Its 380kms from Kyoto to Hiroshima and takes 105 minutes for the train trip, we will have JR rail passes so wont cost us anything extra.

We have Japanese friends who live near Nagoya (world capital of Toyota) and we have done the Toyota Museum there a couple of times, it is huge and includes cars from all around the world. If you get to Nagoya its also well worthwhile going to the Toyota Museum of Industry and Technology in the city, where we learnt that Toyota started out as a fabric weaving business!

Toyota is of course a massive combun with operations across and down multiple industries. We got to tour the Aichi Steel plant outside Nagoya on our last trip - where Australian coking coal turns Australian iron ore into steel which then gets sent to various Toyota factories to be made into Camrys and Landcruisers - and Aichi Steel is naturally, part of the Toyota group. Vertical integration at work.

Last edited:
Back