Consumer Reports New Car Issue 2024

We have a 2019 CX-5 AWD, my wife's DD, she is VERY happy with it. It's also our road trip car and I like the handling on the open road. Just have to watch the cruise control because the following-distance feature means you can't go faster than the guy in front of you (well, duh, but the adjustment is gradual you have to watch the speedo because all of a sudden you might be doing 55 in a 65 because of slower vehicle ahead) - time to pass. Toyo tires were meh, replaced with Pirelli Scorpion All-Seasons ; they are quiet and handle great
We are getting use to the CC slowing the car down too. We might turn it off this feature and drive old school! :p

SO MANY BELLS AND WHISTLES on the 2024 over our 09 Accord. :unsure:

I increase pressure on the Toyo A36 to 45 PSI today. It made a world of difference. The car tracked and cornered better. Sometimes simple things make a difference...

Conti and now Pirelli are the two tires we will be looking at after the A36s. Thanks for the tip.

I have been turning off the adaptive CC lately because it works too well. You don't notice the car slowing until you look at the speedo and realize you are 10+ mph below the set speed. I also didn't like the delay to speed up when you move over to go around the car in front of you.

Last edited:
I think you've been living in our household!

We have a 2019 CX-5 AWD, my wife's DD, she is VERY happy with it.
Yup, us too!

Just have to watch the cruise control because the following-distance feature means you can't go faster than the guy in front of you (well, duh, but the adjustment is gradual you have to watch the speedo because all of a sudden you might be doing 55 in a 65 because of slower vehicle ahead) - time to pass.
Yup. HATE when that happens!

Toyo tires were meh, replaced with Pirelli Scorpion All-Seasons ; they are quiet and handle great
Yup, me too!

:D :D

Yep, RDX can run on regular gas. Acura suggests running premium.

An Acura dealership web site suggested running regular gas and let the knock sensors protect the engine! Wow, that is scarry. I will never rely on knock sensors to pull timing to protect my engine!

Reading between the lines, don't drive a RDX hard on 87 oct.

Down the road, I'm going to log my 3rd gen, turbo at WOT on 87 oct and see if the knock sensors pull timing. Man I hope not.

With that said, I don't plan on running the CX 5 at WOT but on this test. I have a track only car. I don't get any thrill running a 227 HP car at WOT.
that's indeed scary about what the dealership said. what if the knock sensors fail? that happened on my 98 maxima (and the knock sensor was buried under the metal intake manifold, so had my mechanic replace it, and he of course wouldn't stop complaining about how hard it is to reach things on that engine, even though i don't think most things are that hard on that one), while running premium thankfully, but that was a common issue with those engines.

We have a 2019 CX-5 AWD, my wife's DD, she is VERY happy with it. It's also our road trip car and I like the handling on the open road. Just have to watch the cruise control because the following-distance feature means you can't go faster than the guy in front of you (well, duh, but the adjustment is gradual you have to watch the speedo because all of a sudden you might be doing 55 in a 65 because of slower vehicle ahead) - time to pass. Toyo tires were meh, replaced with Pirelli Scorpion All-Seasons ; they are quiet and handle great
from what i've gathered, on here and other forums, just about any tires are better than the OEM Toyo tires. 😅

from what i've gathered, on here and other forums, just about any tires are better than the OEM Toyo tires. 😅
I'm curious what pressure folks run these tires.

On the door sticker it says 35 psi. The Toyo tire says max pressure 51 psi.

The car had 40 psi in the tires on delivery. It road smooth and mushy. I increased them to 45. Much better handling. Not as smooth over bumps. I like a little feed back going over bumps. This reminds my wife to drive around pot holes and such! 🤣

The car had 40 psi in the tires on delivery. It road smooth and mushy. I increased them to 45. Much better handling. Not as smooth over bumps. I like a little feed back going over bumps. This reminds my wife to drive around pot holes and such! 🤣
The max is just that, a max from the tire manufacturer. The optimal is that door-sticker value, though you could "tune" it to your driving/comfort level +/- 5 psi and you're probably good. +10 psi is pushing it, me thinks. You may end up with excess wear in the mid-part of the tread, have less contact area for traction, possibly higher chance of blow-out if you hit a bad pothole.

you're going to wear out the centers of the tires with it that high

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned yet that there are two 2024 NA CX-5 versions - one with CD and Istop, and another without either of them - simply the old PY-VPS engine from what's been posted elsewhere. IMO the option to not have CD dwarfs everything else that's been written about the 2024.

We have just iver 500 miles on our CX 5!

The tire is rated for 51 psi at thr load rating. I'm not worried about a blowout at 45psi.

I'll watch to see if the tires wear in the center more than the sides and post.

We have just iver 500 miles on our CX 5!

The tire is rated for 51 psi at thr load rating. I'm not worried about a blowout at 45psi.

I'll watch to see if the tires wear in the center more than the sides and post.
I would do 38 on the fronts and 35 on the rears (where there is less weight). In addition to more center wear, going up 10 psi over the door tag will reduce your traction. That's a bad thing if you're carrying around your family and need to stop quickly in the rain or bad weather

Thank you your concerned reply.

I'll watch how it handles closely the next time I'm on wet roads. We have an average rainfall over 52" per year in "The American Amazon", Alabama. 132,000 miles of rivers and streams with the most diverse aquatic life, 339 species. So I'll get plenty of wet roads to test tire pressures.

On our 8th Gen Accord, I bumped the tire pressure to 36. It was rock solid in the rain. The dealer put 40 PSI in the CX 5 when we picked it up. The tires were too soft for my liking at 40 PSI. I would buy new ties if I "had" to run at 35 PSI. :devilish:

Your thoughtful reply got me searching. Here is what a road racer suggests.

https://speedsecrets.com/q-should-i-raise-or-lower-tires-pressures-in-the-rain/#:~:text=Here's%20my%20experience%20and%20very,through%20the%20water%20will%20help.

Last edited:
My 2024 CS 5 T is very close to 50/50 weight distribution. Do you know the spring rates, front and rear?

Mazda recommends equal tire pressure, front and rear.

I'm working on balancing the car. This week I'm installing adjustable end links on the rear ASB so I can connect the Magen ASB second hole and stiffen up the rear. The front Magen ASB feels about right for a fun DD.

This will do until the adjustable coilovers arrive and we can dial in the shock rate.

The stock 19" wheels weigh 62# with tire! That is more than my 10 ply tire and wheel on my 2500 truck. Amazing the CX 5 has good acceleration, stopping and fuel efficiency. Hats off to Mazda drive train engineers...

Are you sure about the weight numbers of that truck wheel/tire assembly? I had a 2013 LX 570 with forged TRD 17" aluminum wheels that were 24 pounds (much lighter than the stock 20s) and an LT285/70/17 tire that weighed 52 pounds for a total of 76 pounds. Is it an LT/10ply tire?

52 pound LT285/70/17 tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S2&partnum=87SR7DLTX2

Are you sure about the weight numbers of that truck wheel/tire assembly? I had a 2013 LX 570 with forged TRD 17" aluminum wheels that were 24 pounds (much lighter than the stock 20s) and an LT285/70/17 tire that weighed 52 pounds for a total of 76 pounds. Is it an LT/10ply tire?

52 pound LT285/70/17 tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M/S2&partnum=87SR7DLTX2
I'm sure of the Mazda OEM tire/wheel weight. I'm going off memory what my 2500 truck tire/wheel weigh. I'll weigh it next time I remove a wheel and correct this post if needed. Thanks

You didn't mention but I'm guessing they are 16" alloys and ~245 width tires. That could be about right. The 3" of wheel diameter makes a big difference in weight.

Back