Mazda CX-90 First Drive Event

This person posted some pictures of the engine bay and interior.

335031150_109448035383612_4859760901855638247_n.jpg

335030597_193362563315293_1713956679595263897_n.jpg

330436289_913086066685265_4200859089548523675_n.jpg

328996665_1230590107830870_5006748412204187713_n.jpg

Interesting, thanks for posting. I thought the first drive event with all the journalists will be towards the end of March. Curious if this is an actual drive event or just the first batches of cars coming from Japan. If it is a drive event, curious how long the driving impressions embargo will last.

Interesting, thanks for posting. I thought the first drive event with all the journalists will be towards the end of March. Curious if this is an actual drive event or just the first batches of cars coming from Japan. If it is a drive event, curious how long the driving impressions embargo will last.
This drive event was for the local dealers. Mazda will be doing this throughout the US over the next couple of weeks. I believe the journalists test drives are still planned for later this month.

Is that the turbo to the left in that picture? The shiny silver thing?

Also, the engine looks like it sits far back into the car a bit.

Thanks for posting.

Is that the turbo to the left in that picture? The shiny silver thing?

Also, the engine looks like it sits far back into the car a bit.

Thanks for posting.
Yes, that is the turbo to the left of the engine. With the 2.5l the turbo was behind the engine which pushed it further into the engine bay.

What do you folks think this is (circled in pic)
Trailer brake control? I see it has the towing hitch installed.
It looks like something to smash an innocent knee on. Haha

1678555028436.jpeg

Emergency eject? Trailer breaking?
I took a look at all the pictures from the original release event where they showed the vehicle and that thing wasn't in it so I am guessing it's trailer brake controller.

Last edited:
Looks like this one has the rear mirror camera system installed as well as I can see the camera module in the top of the rear window.

Interestingly, it appears to have an air-to-water intercooler. The intake pipe comes off the turbo and runs across the top of the engine. If the intercooler was an air-to-air setup this would not make any sense as the intercooler would be in front of the radiator, mounted down low most likely.

The Mazda parts website seems to confirm this. The CX-90 is up on the parts finders. There are water hoses associated with the intercooler.

I saw other pictures and noticed that you can now control the second row HVAC from the front. Very nice!

The nine-ish trim levels aren't programmed into the Mazda parts website yet. The only trim level available for the 2024 CX-90 on the Mazda parts website is "WIDE WAGON"....

1678670245296.png

What do you folks think this is (circled in pic)
Trailer brake control? I see it has the towing hitch installed.
It looks like something to smash an innocent knee on. Haha

View attachment 317731
I see on the ride and drive event videos/pictures that this is indeed a trailer brake controller

The dealer First Drive Events are stilling occurring across the US. In this video (2:00 min mark) they showed the inline-6 badge blacked out on the lower trims, something I may have missed on previous videos.

The dealer First Drive Events are stilling occurring across the US. In this video (2:00 min mark) they showed the inline-6 badge blacked out on the lower trims, something I may have missed on previous videos.

The interior looks orange in that lighting! Love the dark chrome and dark wood on the interior.

Also, I didn't know about the non-chrome inline6 badge on the detuned versions either! I wish they would get rid of it altogether, can't say I like either of those badges at all. It looks cheap, and doesn't align with the upmarket they are going for, in my opinion.

Exciting stuff!

Also, I didn't know about the non-chrome inline6 badge on the detuned versions either! I wish they would get rid of it altogether, can't say I like either of those badges at all. It looks cheap, and doesn't align with the upmarket they are going for, in my opinion.

I have to agree, I'd prefer if they just had a badge on the liftgate. Or even better, if they integrated the badge into the rearmost corner of the 3rd row windows.

Annotation 2023-03-21 104842.png

Back