Mazda CX-70 buying decision and timing

:
'17, Mazda 6 GT
I was thinking for quite some time to post something like this. I need another car this year, however I am unsure about the timing of my need and I am a bit torn about current Mazda product offering. I know a lot of folks on this forum are in the same boat like me, therefore I wanted to open this topic to discuss the buying decision of a Mazda CX-70 which has yet to been revealed.

Will start first and say that CX70 is rumoured to be unveiled as a 2024 model, with a summer release and I would think in showrooms, maybe October/November 2023 ? It is quite a bit a long stretch from now and if I decide to go for this it will likely be a first batch of CX70's.

This ties in into the possible issues that might arise due to being an all-new first year model. However, being on the same platform as CX60, which already will have a full year of being available, I am thinking that some of the bigger issues with a first year model will be ironed out. Thoughts ?

The other thing is that I am intending to go with an Inline6, probably a Signature trim, IF the price will stay somewhat decent. Now, the engine is a brand new engine although from what I've read is the 6 cylinder variant of the 4 cylinder but mounted longitudinal so maybe it will not be that bad. The one thing has me worried is that the brand new transmission while is fast, is not really that refined. I am talking about the reviews of the Inline6 diesel which are still better than the PHEV which are really bad when it comes to crawling at low speeds.

Now, the buying decisions and alternative.

Price - the price of the CX70 Signature, needs to be around 55K, basically identical with the current CX9 Signature. Will not pay much more than that as I think will not be worth it.

Alternatives
CX90 - too big for my needs, too expensive in the Signature trim and too new as a model/batch.
CX-9 - I like the looks, however, dated tech/interior layout, underpinnings combined with a 55K price tag and the fact that is going to be discontinued make me not want to get interested in it.
CX50 - Like the looks, overall interior, however beneath looks like a way cheaper car and combined with the fact that is build in USA, don't get a feeling of a premium offering.
CX5 - The most compelling offer, although the car is really dated in the interior and exterior.

I am planning to lease the car and if everything goes well probably buying it out.

Any thoughts on possible future prices, issues that might arise and timing issues ?

Personally, I'm always wary of first year MYs on new products as there is almost always something to iron out. Sometimes there are only minor issues, other times they are much more significant.

I think you're right on with the pricing for the CX-70, hopefully its in that ballpark, give or take $2-3k.

I know your intent is to lease for your next vehicle, but if I were in your shoes, I would consider buying a used CX-5, then trading it in or selling it in a few years to lease a CX-70 (if you still want one). That should give Mazda enough time to correct most teething issues, and it'll also give you a good amount of time to get a decent idea of the initial quality of the new drivetrains.

The CX-9 is a great vehicle that as a two row with a large rear space, works really well. The inside is fine. There are some things that I wish it would have - like real time tire pressure measurement, better wireless charging location and the ability to control the second row temperature settings from the front - but otherwise, it is a great ride. The 2.5T is more than enough for this car and the gas mileage is great (for me, 24.4 mpg overall).

The model is going to be discontinued but it is not like they won't support the vehicle or powertrain. That engine and drivetrain are basically in all current Mazdas. I personally wouldn't worry that much about that.

With all of that said, I am going to replace 2021 CX-9 with a CX-90 but in the second year. I was thinking I wanted to go to a CX-70 but we like taking road trips and I like being able to throw a bunch of things in the rear trunk area. If I can get an inline 6 with more power and equal or better fuel economy, I am also happy.

If you are willing to go out of Mazda, look at the 2021-22 Pathfinder or Pilot. Both good vehicles but don't drive like the Mazda. The pathfinder is really nice inside but drives like a truck. If you spent any time in a Mazda or a German car, you will notice it. But they can be had for cheap and might fit the bill. The tech is the Nissan is really nice.

The CX-9 is a great vehicle that as a two row with a large rear space, works really well. The inside is fine. There are some things that I wish it would have - like real time tire pressure measurement, better wireless charging location and the ability to control the second row temperature settings from the front - but otherwise, it is a great ride. The 2.5T is more than enough for this car and the gas mileage is great (for me, 24.4 mpg overall).

The model is going to be discontinued but it is not like they won't support the vehicle or powertrain. That engine and drivetrain are basically in all current Mazdas. I personally wouldn't worry that much about that.

With all of that said, I am going to replace 2021 CX-9 with a CX-90 but in the second year. I was thinking I wanted to go to a CX-70 but we like taking road trips and I like being able to throw a bunch of things in the rear trunk area. If I can get an inline 6 with more power and equal or better fuel economy, I am also happy.

If you are willing to go out of Mazda, look at the 2021-22 Pathfinder or Pilot. Both good vehicles but don't drive like the Mazda. The pathfinder is really nice inside but drives like a truck. If you spent any time in a Mazda or a German car, you will notice it. But they can be had for cheap and might fit the bill. The tech is the Nissan is really nice.

I could have written this myself, word for word 🤣

Agree on everything @dougal said, except that I may wait until the third year. Might need to build a garage for the house first.. or at least get a concrete driveway done.

Good points, thanks for the input. Switching to a Pilot or a Pathfinder is not really an option as I dislike both.
Personally, I'm always wary of first year MYs on new products as there is almost always something to iron out. Sometimes there are only minor issues, other times they are much more significant.

I think you're right on with the pricing for the CX-70, hopefully its in that ballpark, give or take $2-3k.

I know your intent is to lease for your next vehicle, but if I were in your shoes, I would consider buying a used CX-5, then trading it in or selling it in a few years to lease a CX-70 (if you still want one). That should give Mazda enough time to correct most teething issues, and it'll also give you a good amount of time to get a decent idea of the initial quality of the new drivetrains.

Yes, I am a bit wary too and the first year but that's why I was thinking, since it is on the same platform as the CX60 (I think they will 99% be identical, just stretched out a bit) it will technically be a 2nd year and not really a first year. The one thing that will be totally new will be the combination of the inline six with they're 8 auto.

Buying a used CX5 is not really a possibility as the prices are still high so you don't really get any value in that. Slowly the prices will decrease with more inventory available, so you will loose even more money when I will try to sell in 2 yrs.

Or maybe, get the first year CX70 model as a lease and return it 1-2 yrs later and get the the more polished model. Yeah, prolly will loose quite a bit of money but maybe is the safest option ?

Compared to shopping for a used car and then trying to sell the car for a good value, it's probably much easier to do a short-term lease and then upgrade to a newer model later, or buy out the lease. You'd also have a lot of peace of mind knowing that the car will always be under warranty during your lease.

Good points, thanks for the input. Switching to a Pilot or a Pathfinder is not really an option as I dislike both.

I hear you. They ride very differently. And in the case of the Nissan, even the Infinity versions still drive like a Nissan. The Acura MDX is much nicer.

Personally, I love my CX-9. When my 2018 got totaled, I looked at the MDX, the Volvo XC90 and the Audi Q7. All were nice but I found you got 90% of the others best at a much reduced cost - up front and service cost.

Compared to shopping for a used car and then trying to sell the car for a good value, it's probably much easier to do a short-term lease and then upgrade to a newer model later, or buy out the lease. You'd also have a lot of peace of mind knowing that the car will always be under warranty during your lease.
Get out of my head! haha

@Muggs1 Prior to getting our CX-50, I was debating on waiting for the CX-70 this Fall to replace our CX-5, for which the lease was up in August. There were a few things wrong with my debating. The first being, not knowing when the CX-70 would be available. Would I need to extend the CX-5 lease a few months in hopes that it would hit the dealers in time? The second is that my wife has loved the CX-50 since launch photos were released and after a test drive three weeks ago she fell more in love with it. The third is that after said test drive, the dealer gave us a deal that we could not refuse allowing us to turn the CX-5 in six months early (which meant there was no way of convincing my wife to wait all summer and then some for the CX-70). haha

So I took the advice of @sm1ke and we leased it. My wife was approaching this one as a lease to buy-out but we have 33 months to see if she loves it and it is reliable enough to do so. If not, there is the peace of mind of the warranty and then we can walk away.

I'm not quite sure I want to go full EV, yet. There isn't much savings in California between gas and electric and I'm just not sure about road tripping although it's probably doable. In fact, the prudent financial play is a regular hybrid which I already have.

But I don't keep 2 cars. A PHEV covers range anxiety, gives you enough EV that you at least think you are helping the environment, and there really are only a handful that don't break the bank. Plus, I'd like a bit more ground clearance for the rare times I wind up on dirt.

Hyundai Tuscon / Santa Fe + Kia versions: Thing is, who wants to deal with a Kia or Hyundai dealer, and if you can find one they'll want a $5K+ ADM. Lots of issues too.
RAV4 Prime: I won't fit. Long torso, also looking at $10K+ ADM.
Lexus NX450h: This is the one I want, I just don't know if I want $70K of one when TTL is added in. Was a passenger in one recently and it really was what I want in a car. I'm just not used to spending that kind of money even if I have it.

My guess is the CX-70, at least according to Euro specs, will be low $50's and if they don't mess up the seats I can probably live with knob. As near as I can tell everything else I want is there.

Just have to wait for it.

You know, I would love the PHEV but the reviews of the CX-60 PHEV are generally not very positive. Lots of negative comments such as "The CX-60 PHEV is the Japanese marque's attempt to go premium, but is let down by a chassis that makes if feel lumpen and leaden compared with other Mazdas." and "Mazda CX-60’s Hybrid Drivetrain Spoils Premium SUV Newcomer".

Mazda did not seem to modify the chassis to deal with the much heavier PHEV which gives it a harsh ride. Not sure they have fixed anything with the CX-90.

Get out of my head! haha

@Muggs1 Prior to getting our CX-50, I was debating on waiting for the CX-70 this Fall to replace our CX-5, for which the lease was up in August. There were a few things wrong with my debating. The first being, not knowing when the CX-70 would be available. Would I need to extend the CX-5 lease a few months in hopes that it would hit the dealers in time? The second is that my wife has loved the CX-50 since launch photos were released and after a test drive three weeks ago she fell more in love with it. The third is that after said test drive, the dealer gave us a deal that we could not refuse allowing us to turn the CX-5 in six months early (which meant there was no way of convincing my wife to wait all summer and then some for the CX-70). haha

So I took the advice of @sm1ke and we leased it. My wife was approaching this one as a lease to buy-out but we have 33 months to see if she loves it and it is reliable enough to do so. If not, there is the peace of mind of the warranty and then we can walk away.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The only thing for me which is basically going to decide what I need to purchase is the exact timing which right now I am not entire sure when is that going to be.

As of right now I am inclining in leasing one of the CX9 or CX70 if is going to arrive in time. Most likely it will be a 3yr lease that maybe I can get out after 2 and 1/2 yrs. I think with the CX9 I will take the most hit with depreciation, compared to CX70.

You know, I would love the PHEV but the reviews of the CX-60 PHEV are generally not very positive. Lots of negative comments such as "The CX-60 PHEV is the Japanese marque's attempt to go premium, but is let down by a chassis that makes if feel lumpen and leaden compared with other Mazdas." and "Mazda CX-60’s Hybrid Drivetrain Spoils Premium SUV Newcomer".

Mazda did not seem to modify the chassis to deal with the much heavier PHEV which gives it a harsh ride. Not sure they have fixed anything with the CX-90.
I hear you, the horror stories I am hearing from the european cx60 forums are quite concerning. And is not only for the PHEV. That's why I kind of open this just to see everybody else opinion.

Ok, so over the week-end I kinda started looking at cars. Went to my local Mazda dealer and test drove a 2022 Signature CX9 and a CX50 Meridian Edition.

First, the CX9 it is still a gorgeous car, liked the "cockpit" area and the feel that is well put together. You can feel that is a big car and the 2.5T while is going, you feel its a bit under powered.
The one detriment to the CX9 that I noticed and imo is a deal breaker, are the seats. The seats are extremely narrow and way shorter than on my 6 and don't have any support at all. I couldn't stay comfortable the entire test drive as I felt my feet does not have proper support. Btw, I am 1.80m so I am not tall at all. I am wondering how is it going to be on longer trips. Btw, seems like 2023 will be the last year of CX9 production.

Test drove the CX50 Meridian edition. While you are getting in the car, you can feel immediately that is the more driver focus car, as you sit in the car and not on top of the car, like the CX9. That was a huge plus. However, starting the drive test, while I was in a good paved area I could literally feel every single bump/imperfection through the body. Whether is because of the torsion beam plus the lacking levels of the insulation, it didn't feel premium at all. It has an amazing steering wheel and the engine is more peppy than in the CX9 but the unrefined suspension and sound isolation it makes it a no-go in my opinnion.

I have registered for the CX90 test drive, when the dealer is going to get them.

Side not, interesting piece of information. We were chatting about the lack of sedans in Mazda's lineup, due to 6 removal, and while he didn't say anything "official" it seems to be buzz out there about the new 6 or whatever they will decide to call it. He told me not to sleep on the idea that the new 6 is not coming back. So far, nothing official. That's at least a hope.

Ok, so over the week-end I kinda started looking at cars. Went to my local Mazda dealer and test drove a 2022 Signature CX9 and a CX50 Meridian Edition.

First, the CX9 it is still a gorgeous car, liked the "cockpit" area and the feel that is well put together. You can feel that is a big car and the 2.5T while is going, you feel its a bit under powered.
The one detriment to the CX9 that I noticed and imo is a deal breaker, are the seats. The seats are extremely narrow and way shorter than on my 6 and don't have any support at all. I couldn't stay comfortable the entire test drive as I felt my feet does not have proper support. Btw, I am 1.80m so I am not tall at all. I am wondering how is it going to be on longer trips. Btw, seems like 2023 will be the last year of CX9 production.

Test drove the CX50 Meridian edition. While you are getting in the car, you can feel immediately that is the more driver focus car, as you sit in the car and not on top of the car, like the CX9. That was a huge plus. However, starting the drive test, while I was in a good paved area I could literally feel every single bump/imperfection through the body. Whether is because of the torsion beam plus the lacking levels of the insulation, it didn't feel premium at all. It has an amazing steering wheel and the engine is more peppy than in the CX9 but the unrefined suspension and sound isolation it makes it a no-go in my opinnion.

I have registered for the CX90 test drive, when the dealer is going to get them.

Side not, interesting piece of information. We were chatting about the lack of sedans in Mazda's lineup, due to 6 removal, and while he didn't say anything "official" it seems to be buzz out there about the new 6 or whatever they will decide to call it. He told me not to sleep on the idea that the new 6 is not coming back. So far, nothing official. That's at least a hope.

I agree with the CX-9 seats, as they are one thing I don't like about my CX-9.

I personally loved the way the CX-50 drove. The steering is very heavy but direct.

New info about CX-70.
Mazda-CX-70-rendering.jpg

New info about CX-70.
Mazda-CX-70-rendering.jpg
I'm not sure I love this new render, but I do hope that it looks different enough from the cx-90 as this render does. A slight interior difference (color choice?) would be awesome to see too. Maybe even a new exterior color, but that's probably too hopeful. A land rover/porsche-esque deep green would be so cool

Ok, so I've been to my dealer yesterday and asked them about the cx70. It seems that the new cx70 has been presented through photos at the cx90 reveal lunch in mexico. There are no leaks as they were not allowed to take pics.

However, as described by the person who was there, it seems to be very similar in size to the cx90 but in a sportier version. His comparison was cx5 as the more luxurious to cx50, as more sportier looking one.

Again, I have not spoke with the actual guy that has been there but it is coming from a Mazda dealership.

A slightly smaller and sportier cx90? Sign me up now.

According to that link, the length is 193in, which about the same as Lexus RX and Toyota Highlander. And, 7-8in shorter than the CX-90 and 5in shorter than an MDX.
Same powertrain choices.

I dont't think is going to be that short. There was a link somewhere posted basically saying that the diference between cx90 and cx70 will be only couple of inches.

I am all for a big surprise but I remember initial announcement regarding CX-60 in Europe. Some basic information was provided about the new Mazda line up and one thing that seemed making some sense was the info about CX-70 being just the wider version of CX-60. That's it. Honestly I would not expect anything similar in size to CX-90 at this point. Bigger than CX-50 - yes, for sure. But this is going to be a 2 rows SUV.

When CX-60 showed up in Europe, there were some reviews providing some detailed measurements and honestly this car was practically the same size as the 1st gen of CX-5, just slightly wider. The same leg room, the same trunk space. Consider this - 2nd gen CX-5 actually is slightly smaller than 1st gen CX 5 - 100L smaller trunk space. CX - 50 has still smaller trunk space than my CX-5 - it's wider and longer so it is more practical but it is approx 50L less than 1st gen CX-5. Seeing CX-90 right now I believe that next CX-70 might end up being just a slightly bigger version of original CX-5. Which is not a bad thing but I would not expect from Mazda to bring some cavernous vehicle at this point.

Back