Mazda CX-70 buying decision and timing

The CX70 Turbo S shall be a decent BMW X5 x40 competitor at $10k discount or more.
Sure, 30hp less, but better reliability. If you ever own a BMW, you know what I mean. ;)

@ceric CX-90 Turbo S vs BMW X5 40i (and Mercedes GLE 450)

Roughly $11-14k USD price difference between the top-spec CX-90 and the others. Since the CX-70 should be a little lighter, it should compete even better, while being more affordable still.

@ceric CX-90 Turbo S vs BMW X5 40i (and Mercedes GLE 450)

Roughly $11-14k USD price difference between the top-spec CX-90 and the others. Since the CX-70 should be a little lighter, it should compete even better, while being more affordable still.

Two things I take away from that are that 1) BMW really makes fast cars! 2) The X5 which has only two rows is not the most appropriate comparison with the CX-90. That is the X-7, which they should have chosen.

Could the CX-90 be slow off the line cause that is handled by the electric motor and not the combustion engine per se?

Two things I take away from that are that 1) BMW really makes fast cars! 2) The X5 which has only two rows is not the most appropriate comparison with the CX-90. That is the X-7, which they should have chosen.

Could the CX-90 be slow off the line cause that is handled by the electric motor and not the combustion engine per se?

I think that's a good guess. Maybe Mazda tuned the 8-speed for a "smoother" take-off or better fuel economy as well.

Something that wasn't mentioned was the difference in fuel economy between the three cars. The BMW gets 21 combined, the Mercedes get 22 combined, and the Mazda gets 25 combined.

Video from Jonathan Sewell - He says that the Cx-70 will be the "same exact" size as the Cx-90.. I really hope he has wrong information.. If it's the same exact size, I wonder how they'll differentiate them. Very interesting :)

This is inline with what I said above, unfortunately. This would probably be the dumbest thing ever (along with not having a seat bench on top trims for CX90) and it doesn`t make any single sense at all.

This is inline with what I said above, unfortunately. This would probably be the dumbest thing ever (along with not having a seat bench on top trims for CX90) and it doesn`t make any single sense at all.

That honestly would be odd. My dealer said the wheelbase would be the same - but I didn't think that meant the whole vehicle would be the same length!

I want to believe that the wheel base will be the same to save cost, but length will be shorter by 6-8 inches. Not every one needs a long vehicle. If CX-70 is as long as CX-90, count me out.
Im in the exact same boat - 201 inches is way to big for a 5 seater.

Agreed with both of you guys. Now I am really questioning whether is going to be an option for me or not.

Ok, so I've been to my dealer yesterday and asked them about the cx70. It seems that the new cx70 has been presented through photos at the cx90 reveal lunch in mexico. There are no leaks as they were not allowed to take pics.

However, as described by the person who was there, it seems to be very similar in size to the cx90 but in a sportier version. His comparison was cx5 as the more luxurious to cx50, as more sportier looking one.

Again, I have not spoke with the actual guy that has been there but it is coming from a Mazda dealership.

A slightly smaller and sportier cx90? Sign me up now.
@Fruitwolf

Just dug out Mazda's News on large platform back in 2021.
It is obvious that CX-70 is the widebody version of CX-60.

1683587571405.png

What I hope is that it is lighter, lower and smaller than the CX-90. I hope it is what the X5 is to the X7, the GV70 to the GV80. What I expect...who knows. Mazda has been missing a midsize 2 row for at least a decade. Even the CX-7 was too small to truly be midsize. They should fill that hole.

BTW, while I like the quality upgrade of the CX-90 it is a barge. And what I really want is the inline 6! If the CX-50 was not a front drive model, I'd just as soon have the inline 6 in a CX-50 and call it a day!

BackGround: Replacing my wife's Odyssey. Took her to test drive GV70, X5, CRV, RDX, RAV4, CX-50 and CX-90. I should have put her in an X3 too, but it was a long day. The CX-90 was the only one she thought was too big. Part of that was length, but part of it is it sits WAY TOO HIGH!! None of these are going off road and they all should be lowered by about 2 inches which would make them more practical and drive much better with less roll while still having an elevated seating position. Her top 3 were 1) BMW X5 X40i (understanding most expensive) and then she tied for different reasons, the CX-50 and GV70.

Last edited:
Ok, now with the CX70 being delayed to next spring, as I said in the other thread, will need to re-orient myself to the CX90.

I just came from an extensive test drive with an I6 GT-P (one of the Canadian two high output trim options). I did hwy driving, sat in traffic, stop and go, probably all kinds of driving that you will encounter day to day in GTA. I sat inside the Signature model which is the top trim model but I got to drive the GT-P version.

Based on the reviews, and people complaining about the shifting, power from the stop, etc I went with my wife to test drive this without high expectations.

All I can say the test drive was awesome. The car feels well built, no rattled no creeks, no nothing. The engine is really smooth and it PULLS really hard. I am not sure what gas was inside the car but the car was actually really quick. If you floor it, after 1/2 second delay a surge of torque and power takes over and basically in no time you're at the speed limit. To be honest, the car felt really easy to drive and it was effortless. Just a premium experience.

One of the highlight, at least imo, is that it drives way smaller than what it is. For such a long car and sitting so high I didn't feel like I was driving an big and long SUV, instead felt like a nimble mid-size car. If you add to this the turning radius, which is way better than my 6, it felt pretty awesome.

The transmission was a sticking point and I went to test drive it to see if I can actually live with it (low expectations). All I can say is I felt none of what other reviewers said about behaving like a dual clutch, jerking shifts, etc. The transmission shifted seamless and when you floor you get that dual clutch feel but imo is actually adding to the experience and is not annoying. Shifting at low speeds is quick and easy, no issue there as well imo.

Overall I am quite impressed on the driving aspect and the looks of the Signature model. We decided that we will do a factory order towards the end of July, as we only need a second car somewhere in late fall. I hope by the time we are going to get ours some of things, especially software updates will iron out some of the bad experiences, that other owners had.

Ok, now with the CX70 being delayed to next spring, as I said in the other thread, will need to re-orient myself to the CX90.

I just came from an extensive test drive with an I6 GT-P (one of the Canadian two high output trim options). I did hwy driving, sat in traffic, stop and go, probably all kinds of driving that you will encounter day to day in GTA. I sat inside the Signature model which is the top trim model but I got to drive the GT-P version.

Based on the reviews, and people complaining about the shifting, power from the stop, etc I went with my wife to test drive this without high expectations.

All I can say the test drive was awesome. The car feels well built, no rattled no creeks, no nothing. The engine is really smooth and it PULLS really hard. I am not sure what gas was inside the car but the car was actually really quick. If you floor it, after 1/2 second delay a surge of torque and power takes over and basically in no time you're at the speed limit. To be honest, the car felt really easy to drive and it was effortless. Just a premium experience.

One of the highlight, at least imo, is that it drives way smaller than what it is. For such a long car and sitting so high I didn't feel like I was driving an big and long SUV, instead felt like a nimble mid-size car. If you add to this the turning radius, which is way better than my 6, it felt pretty awesome.

The transmission was a sticking point and I went to test drive it to see if I can actually live with it (low expectations). All I can say is I felt none of what other reviewers said about behaving like a dual clutch, jerking shifts, etc. The transmission shifted seamless and when you floor you get that dual clutch feel but imo is actually adding to the experience and is not annoying. Shifting at low speeds is quick and easy, no issue there as well imo.

Overall I am quite impressed on the driving aspect and the looks of the Signature model. We decided that we will do a factory order towards the end of July, as we only need a second car somewhere in late fall. I hope by the time we are going to get ours some of things, especially software updates will iron out some of the bad experiences, that other owners had.
I had almost diametrically opposed test drive impressions of the 340HP inline 6 mild hybrid CX-90. It is a nice vehicle, solid, stable, confident. But it lacks the engaging driving characteristics of the CX-5 and CX-50 (both 1,200lb lighter) and those are 4 cylinder vehicles with understeer inducing front wheel drive. I don't need nor want 3 rows and the land yacht dimensions. It sits way too high and feels too big. I really think it is the weight at 5,000lb. Mazda should employ the gram strategy employed with the MX-5 and shave about 500lbs off that pig. My wife's 2012 Odyssey drives better mainly because it is lighter (4,450lbs) and sits lower (lower center of gravity) though the same length (202").

I had almost diametrically opposed test drive impressions of the 340HP inline 6 mild hybrid CX-90. It is a nice vehicle, solid, stable, confident. But it lacks the engaging driving characteristics of the CX-5 and CX-50 (both 1,200lb lighter) and those are 4 cylinder vehicles with understeer inducing front wheel drive. I don't need nor want 3 rows and the land yacht dimensions. It sits way too high and feels too big. I really think it is the weight at 5,000lb. Mazda should employ the gram strategy employed with the MX-5 and shave about 500lbs off that pig. My wife's 2012 Odyssey drives better mainly because it is lighter (4,450lbs) and sits lower (lower center of gravity) though the same length (202").
We had a 2010 Odyssey and it drove really small with that low hood. Always loved the engine note also

Back