Mazda CX-5 Appreciation Moment

This post isn't in regards to value at all. I've had my 2017 CX-5 since last January and I've enjoyed driving it every single day since then. The last car I've enjoyed this much was a 5-speed '03 Audi A4. Kinda crazy though, as I've put 25k miles on it already. Got the CX-5 at 40k miles. Now it's 65k. Between taking my fiancee to Texas from Illinois and back two times, beach camping, road trip destination weekends, and more, it's been a pleasure and as reliable, if not more, than I'd like. It's safe to say that there isn't another vehicle that I'd like to fit its purpose for our lifestyle. Maybe a CX-9 if we have kids... But for daily driving and long road trips, this vehicle has really performed well! Hopefully I can take this Mazda to 200k+ miles. If ever this vehicle breaks down early, I know I'll just opt for another CX-5. xD Hope everyone is enjoying this vehicle as much as I!!!

To OP, among my three Mazdas, '14 Mazd3, '16 Mazda6 and '17 CX5, I love driving the CX5 the most. Quiet and comfortable. Mazda6 has the only edge on handling at the corners.
They all have the same nuisance, however, which is the MID software. (maybe GPS card related)
And, the front camera can get on strike sometimes for no reason.
Other than those, I am happy with them.

I have that many miles on my '17 Touring but haven't driven much since I bought it used. It's pretty much the best car I've ever driven. It's like it was custom made for me.

Fantastic vehicle for bad weather. I can't tell you how many bad snow storms she's gotten me through in my 25 mile trek to and from work. Really appreciate it.

To OP, among my three Mazdas, '14 Mazd3, '16 Mazda6 and '17 CX5, I love driving the CX5 the most. Quiet and comfortable. Mazda6 has the only edge on handling at the corners.
They all have the same nuisance, however, which is the MID software. (maybe GPS card related)
And, the front camera can get on strike sometimes for no reason.
Other than those, I am happy with them.
That's surprising! I can only imagine a 6 turbo and how fun it'd be. I like sedans, but the CX-5 operates like one!

I have that many miles on my '17 Touring but haven't driven much since I bought it used. It's pretty much the best car I've ever driven. It's like it was custom made for me.
Wholeheartedly agree! I don't find myself missing my old Audi at all. I'm a fan of the older cars from 90s to the mid 2000s. The feeling of the roads just aren't really there in the newer ones, but the CX-5 hits the spot for me. Also, Mazda just happened to make a car that makes sense; No CVT, 2.5L in an SUV. From my prior experiences, I'm not a fan of the smaller engines in SUVs.

Fantastic vehicle for bad weather. I can't tell you how many bad snow storms she's gotten me through in my 25 mile trek to and from work. Really appreciate it.
Seriously though! I was able to trek across ice/snow in Indiana at 40mph confidently. I've never been that confident on ice in any vehicle besides this one!

That's surprising! I can only imagine a 6 turbo and how fun it'd be. I like sedans, but the CX-5 operates like one!
All my three Mazdas have the same engine, 2.5L Skyactiv-G. Wish I have the turbo.

My wife loves her CX-5 so much that she proclaims that this is the best vehicle for her. She had the Mazda3 (my daughter has it now). It took some convincing to get her into a CX-5.

I totally agree. I was for a CUV after selling my truck. After driving all the CUV's there I noticed my neighbor had the Mazda CX-5. I never considered Mazda, he said he loved it and was a die-hard Mazda fan. So, there was a local Mazda dealer nearby and was able to take a 2017 CX-5 Touring in Eternal Blue Mica addition out for a spin. I bought my first ever Mazda 🤘. It's the best driving and confort CUV/SUV I've had.

I was parked in a neighborhood last weekend, and there were four Mazda CX5 at two houses across the street from each other. Two first, and two second generation. I should have taken a picture.

Wife and I live in a condo complex with unground parking. Our neighbour who is 3 parking spots down from us has a loaded 2019 Mercedez GLA250. A month ago we gave him a ride back home from his dealership where he was having his MB serviced. By the time we got back home, he was totally pissed at himself for having gone with the Benz vs picking up a CX-5/GT like ours. Both of us agreed that ours was a much better vehicle for the value, overall quality and ride comfort. And for about $25K less list price!!

We bought our CX5 second generation, in 2017 after having got rid of our 5 year old BMW E 90 due to repeated problems and repairs in quite a new car with just 35000km on the meter. CX5 has in the three years done more km than the BMW ever did and with zero problems except for the folding mirrors that were repaired under 10 years guarantee that we got from Mazda. The car has been very reliable, maintenance cost low, friendly dealer and reputation conscious maker. Any Japanese car beats any German car in reliability by miles.

I totally agree. I was for a CUV after selling my truck. After driving all the CUV's there I noticed my neighbor had the Mazda CX-5. I never considered Mazda, he said he loved it and was a die-hard Mazda fan. So, there was a local Mazda dealer nearby and was able to take a 2017 CX-5 Touring in Eternal Blue Mica addition out for a spin. I bought my first ever Mazda 🤘. It's the best driving and confort CUV/SUV I've had.

When I was looking to trade in my '17 Civic, I had never considered Mazda until my fiance told me about it and I saw the spec sheet. CUV with a 2.5L? Enough said. Talk about a vehicle that makes sense! I wasn't ever a big fan of CUV/SUVs with 2.0's or smaller, even with a turbo included. Now I'm a Mazda guy, as they make cars to the specs that I'd prefer, let alone the wonderful interiors!

We bought our CX5 second generation, in 2017 after having got rid of our 5 year old BMW E 90 due to repeated problems and repairs in quite a new car with just 35000km on the meter. CX5 has in the three years done more km than the BMW ever did and with zero problems except for the folding mirrors that were repaired under 10 years guarantee that we got from Mazda. The car has been very reliable, maintenance cost low, friendly dealer and reputation conscious maker. Any Japanese car beats any German car in reliability by miles.

I was actually looking into a BMW X1 and the CX-5. Glad I went with Mazda. The Beemer would've just been a deep money pit.... I'm not a big fan of the Rav4 and have always had bad experiences with Honda's CRV. So glad I found the right one!!!

All my three Mazdas have the same engine, 2.5L Skyactiv-G. Wish I have the turbo.

My wife loves her CX-5 so much that she proclaims that this is the best vehicle for her. She had the Mazda3 (my daughter has it now). It took some convincing to get her into a CX-5.

I'm sure the turbo's nice. The 2.5L is perfect for me. I don't have a leadfoot and drive no more than 5 over and start braking lightly a good distance out. I drive like a grampa, so no need for turbo. The CX-5 is definitely the perfect car for me! If only I could've found the grey one at a good price. We got a Scion iM to have a lil more fun. 1.8L in sport mode really isn't that bad!

They are great vehicles. My ‘13 with the 2.0 liter is chugging along just fine with 90k miles on it. We got it brand new and both kids came home from the hospital in it after they were born. It’s incredibly safe and handles well. The 2 liter is a little underpowered but it’s still fun to drive up and down our mountain each day on my commute. This sucker drives so well with a good set of tires on it, and it really comes to life when you get it off flat boring highways and on to hilly winding roads.

We bought a ‘19 RAV4 new as well, and I have no doubts our CX-5 will continue to serve us well until the new Toyota is paid off. It will be a hard day when the time comes to replace it, but that’s not for at least several more years.

They are great vehicles. My ‘13 with the 2.0 liter is chugging along just fine with 90k miles on it. We got it brand new and both kids came home from the hospital in it after they were born. It’s incredibly safe and handles well. The 2 liter is a little underpowered but it’s still fun to drive up and down our mountain each day on my commute. This sucker drives so well with a good set of tires on it, and it really comes to life when you get it off flat boring highways and on to hilly winding roads.

We bought a ‘19 RAV4 new as well, and I have no doubts our CX-5 will continue to serve us well until the new Toyota is paid off. It will be a hard day when the time comes to replace it, but that’s not for at least several more years.

Awesome! Before purchasing the 2017, I read too many good things about the 1st Gen. Plenty of folks taking it to the higher miles! It's reassuring that you're confident the 1st Gen will serve well. Like you, I'm also planning to keep mine for several more years. Hopefully whenever it's time, my kids will be coming home in the CX-5 as well!

I actually enjoy those boring highways xD But those hilly and winding roads really do improve the fun of the car. It takes corners really well!

I liked my '17 too, only got a '20 since I lease 'em.

But for the love of god don't dial up any NPR stations on your road trips or your satisfaction level might plummet. 😉

I knew my next vehicle will be a Mazda CX-5 before I made the upgrade. And when it's time to change, I let my fiancee decide which color she like and she chose the Eternal Blue Mica. I think this is the best color for us. So many times I found my self staring at it and just appreciate its presence.

Back