Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines

Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.

Mazda is hardly alone with excessive oil consumption.

I am ABSOLUTELY SURE you are correct!! But who wants to buy a spanking new Car and
not even have a honeymoon! Well, obviously, no one.

Interesting enough, since I see Chevy up there. I had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt before ( a little Sh-t box) but the L61 Ecotec engine (2.2L) burnt absolutely NO OIL at 160K. I went 10K on synthetic at 160K and was not down a drop of oil! So, Chevy may often be a nightmare but they occasionally design and put together something right. As far as the hand-cranking windows on the Cobalt, give me a break. The Cost Accountants at GM were doing their thing. The air conditioning was pretty exceptional though.

But I hear you. Thanks, Reuben

at least they acknowledge it vs other brands.
Just buy some extra oil and check on a regular basis.
Basically the TSB is saying a quart per 3,000 - 5,000 miles.

300 - 500 miles is excessive maybe, but the TSB is saying possibly every 10 tanks of gas check the oil and add a quart. Watch the oil level light.

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
This issue and the TSB has been posted and discussed in CX-5 and CX-9 forums here before:

Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

2021 CX-9 burning oil

I certainly won’t be happy about having a new car which consumes a quart of oil per 5K miles. In addition, I’d also be worried about potential coolant leak issue if I had a 2.5T:

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine ReplacementP

Last edited:
Um, there is an entire thread of this in the CX-9 section. Might want to merge.

The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
I'll never understand car manufacturers. This engine has been around for years, with no known valve stem seal issues....so why modify something that isn't broken?
There's that old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Does anyone know if this issue is still believed to be limited to the VIN numbers listed on the original TSB from October 21? I keep seeing forums posts and even a couple of articles that make no mention of it being limited to specific VINs and make it sounds like every single 21 model is potentially effected by this. I've even seen TSBs posted that seem identical to the one I've posted below minus the VIN range information. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-232930_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-232930_Drive.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 431
There was a minor update to the TSB in late november, but no change to VIN's, maybe there is a more recent version available.

Attachments

• TSB-01-012-21.pdf
    148 KB · Views: 639
Looks like I just started having this issue on my 21 CE AWD Turbo as soon as I hit 5k miles. The low oil light came on.

More alarming is that I did my first oil change at 3,500 miles myself and put in 5.0 quarts so within 1,500 miles it consumed enough to trigger the light and when I checked the dipstick, oil is below the 2 dots about halfway. Added 3/4 quart 5w-30 full syn...will need to watch but this is concerning.

Looks like I just started having this issue on my 21 CE AWD Turbo as soon as I hit 5k miles. The low oil light came on.

More alarming is that I did my first oil change at 3,500 miles myself and put in 5.0 quarts so within 1,500 miles it consumed enough to trigger the light and when I checked the dipstick, oil is below the 2 dots about halfway. Added 3/4 quart 5w-30 full syn...will need to watch but this is concerning.
Do you happen to know when yours was produced? The original TSB had a VIN range posted but subsequent mentions of it have just listed all 21 CX5 2.5T. I've been trying to figure out if mine is going to be effected (also a CE Turbo AWD made in November of 21) and haven't been able to get a definitive answer yet. Wondering if this is something they addressed in more recently produced ones. Thanks for the post!

Do you happen to know when yours was produced? The original TSB had a VIN range posted but subsequent mentions of it have just listed all 21 CX5 2.5T. I've been trying to figure out if mine is going to be effected (also a CE Turbo AWD made in November of 21) and haven't been able to get a definitive answer yet. Wondering if this is something they addressed in more recently produced ones. Thanks for the post!
Mine was manufactured April '21 so I am one of those affected. The TSB says VINs before September are affected so you should be safe.

I'd still keep an eye on your oil consumption though if I were you because it is common for manufacturers to expand the dates at a later time and even if they have a "cutoff" date of cars affected, its not always true.

This happened with Nissan CVT transmissions and timing chain tensioners along with VW timing chain tensioners. They claimed only certain dates/vins were impacted when it was actually a wider range.

This sucks as I was hoping a car made in Japan would be without issues. Never had a new car consume oil like this. This is as bad (well..not really) as consumption on a Mustang GT350 which are known to drink oil

Last edited:

So what do you mean by “when I checked the dipstick, oil is below the 2 dots about halfway” when the Low Oil Level Warning Light was on? Was it below the MIN mark (hole) of the dipstick or in the middle between 2 holes? What was the oil level on the dipstick after you added ¾ quart?

F3A2F2DA-4029-4879-9246-099274B97191.jpeg

And when you did the first oil change on your 2.5T with 5 quarts, did you checked the oil level at the time? 5 quarts should only give you about ½ between MIN and MAX mark of the dipstick. That’s why you’re getting the Low Oil Level Warning Light sooner within 1,500 miles.

Nevertheless your 2.5T is having oil consumption issue. But the industry standard for car manufactures when they consider it isn’t normal is the engine consumes 1 quart of oil per 1,000 ~ 1,200 miles. In your case the oil consumption is still well within specs from car manufacture’s point of view.

So what do you mean by “when I checked the dipstick, oil is below the 2 dots about halfway” when the Low Oil Level Warning Light was on? Was it below the MIN mark (hole) of the dipstick or in the middle between 2 holes? What was the oil level on the dipstick after you added ¾ quart?

And when you did the first oil change on your 2.5T with 5 quarts, did you checked the oil level at the time? 5 quarts should only give you about ½ between MIN and MAX mark of the dipstick. That’s why you’re getting the Low Oil Level Warning Light sooner within 1,500 miles.

Nevertheless your 2.5T is having oil consumption issue. But the industry standard for car manufactures when they consider it isn’t normal is when the engine consumes 1 quart of oil per 1,000 ~ 1,200 miles. In your case the oil consumption is still well within specs from car manufacture’s point of view.
To clarify, the oil was below the min mark when I checked it as soon as the low light came on. Oil showed halfway between the end of stick and min mark.

I did check the oil level at first oil change and it was in the middle between min and max dots/holes.

I dont believe I should be getting a light/this kind of consumption with only 1,500 miles driven. I filled 3/4 of a quart and to me that's a lot of consumption. Nevertheless, Im documenting everything with pictures and notes in case something catastrophic happens or it worsens.

To clarify, the oil was below the min mark when I checked it as soon as the low light came on. Oil showed halfway between the end of stick and min mark.
That’s scarily low when the oil level is BELOW the MIN mark of the dipstick!

I did check the oil level at first oil change and it was in the middle between min and max dots/holes.
That’s about right with 5 quarts for the oil change on the 2.5T. The manual says 5.1 quarts for the oil change on the 2.5T, although it actually needs 5.5 quarts to make the oil level to be at the MAX mark,

I dont believe I should be getting a light/this kind of consumption with only 1,500 miles driven. I filled 3/4 of a quart and to me that's a lot of consumption. Nevertheless, Im documenting everything with pictures and notes in case something catastrophic happens or it worsens.
You’re not alone with such oil consumption rate due to possible valve stem seal failure when Mazda modified them for 2021 CX-5. Yes do document everything possible, and if I were you I’d definitely report the problem to the Mazda dealer during next visit so that the problem is logged into their system. And make sure to get an invoice with oil consumption concern printed on it.

Mine was manufactured April '21 so I am one of those affected. The TSB says VINs before September are affected so you should be safe.

I'd still keep an eye on your oil consumption though if I were you because it is common for manufacturers to expand the dates at a later time and even if they have a "cutoff" date of cars affected, its not always true.

This happened with Nissan CVT transmissions and timing chain tensioners along with VW timing chain tensioners. They claimed only certain dates/vins were impacted when it was actually a wider range.

This sucks as I was hoping a car made in Japan would be without issues. Never had a new car consume oil like this. This is as bad (well..not really) as consumption on a Mustang GT350 which are known to drink oil
Thank you for the info and I'm sorry you (and everyone else) is dealing with this! I hope they did something production wise to fix this for vehicles made after September but I suspect that's not the case. I'll be sure to keep an eye on mine and will definitely post if I notice anything. Thanks again and good luck!

Back