magnumP5's RX-7 Build Thread

Ya... It's the Dremel grinding bits that are crap. They wear down so fast, you would be switching them every 3 mins, lol. Do you have a compressor? Just buy some air tools! Probly still cost less than paying to have the work done. And then you have air tools for later! A high speed electric grinder probably wouldn't be too expensive either.

its not the tool that gets expensive its the grinding bit that do. My Snap-on blue point die grinder cost me $125 or so...the 4 aluminum fluted carbide grinding bits i bought to do my rx7 manifold cost $175....speaking of i need to put that setup forsale as i never used those manifolds

its not the tool that gets expensive its the grinding bit that do. My Snap-on blue point die grinder cost me $125 or so...the 4 aluminum fluted carbide grinding bits i bought to do my rx7 manifold cost $175....speaking of i need to put that setup forsale as i never used those manifolds

yeah, I worked at a tool and die shop and saw a few of those invoices for end mills. holy s***.

Wow, I knew they were $$$ but, not that much...

Wow, I knew they were $$$ but, not that much...
This is why, if I can get a porting job for $300 on top of a rebuild, I'm willing to incur the costs...

Ugh, just spent the last hour researching ITB's and exhaust. For ITB's I'm tuck between EFI Hardware and TWM. EFI's kit is pretty much complete at $1k, and TWM is lower at $800 but I don't know if it has all the features I'd need. Exhaust is looking like a custom long primary, ugh...

Still no word from engine guy - guess that's that...

Last night I got the new short shifter in - holy crap the throw is short now! I feel like there's literally 1/2" of motion from 3rd to 4th, but at least there's no more mushy shifter.

Today I got the new rotors installed and the calipers painted black (no more yellow - YAY!). Had to take it to a shop to get the rotors put on because just about every screw holding the old ones on were seized and/or stripped. THe shop ended up using a torch to melt them out. Argh, that was $125 I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend. Either way, shouldn't be a problem next time. Calipers were a pain before the previous owner seriously slathered the yellow G2 paint on there. I had to spend about 4 hours with a dremel tool and a wire brush to get all that crap off before I could start painting. It didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but still, it isn't too bad.

Only two more items and a wash before MWMF!

Engine fell through...

Been having suspension noise ever since the brake rotors were changed for whatever reason (checked the front brakes/suspension multiple times) and it's driving me crazy. I'll be checking the rear whenever it stops raining...

On another note I find myself wanting to get out of the car-modding scene. I still love cars and am thinking about looking for a restoration project (ie, something that might actually INCREASE in value). Kind of came to this realization when I had more fun talking to the old couple with a classic RX-7 at MWMF this weekend. I'd love to pick up an original RX-7 or even an RX-2 or RX-3 and restore it and keep it original.

That being said, anyone interested in an '89 RX-7, LOL. I still have all the original parts that came with the car when I bought it.

if you get it sorted, I'd definitely be interested. funding is another story but I might be able to figure something out on that front.

if you get it sorted, I'd definitely be interested. funding is another story but I might be able to figure something out on that front.
Not really sure what the noise is but I'm certain it involves the suspension. I'm positive if I were to put the stock springs/struts/camber plates back on and/or go back to smaller/narrower wheels it would go away.

It really sounds like the tire is making contact with the spring, but when I look at it there's no way this is happening. It really doesn't seem to be an issue. The car made it to MWMF and back (~260 miles) just fine, in the rain

lol price on the car? I'm in the same boat right now. Kinda sick of cars. Well modding them..

Last edited:
lol price on the car? I'm in the same boat right now. Kinda sick of cars. Well modding them..
LOL, PM sent with way too much info.

Still debating. I love driving and working on the car, but I'm getting less and less satisfaction from modding them...

First page updated!

(I totally forgot I had a list there, LOL!)

Also, I think I found the source of my suspension noise. The locking collar on the front left coilover wasn't tight. Tightened that down and so far NO NOISE!

First page updated!

(I totally forgot I had a list there, LOL!)

Also, I think I found the source of my suspension noise. The locking collar on the front left coilover wasn't tight. Tightened that down and so far NO NOISE!

Nice, you gonna keep her now that she shut up? ;)

Nice, you gonna keep her now that she shut up? ;)
Dunno, but more likely now. There's an all-original '79 that's local that I'm resisting the urge to look up. It's among the first production series too (has no passenger's side mirror). If only I could convince the wife we need two RX-7s...

Dunno, but more likely now. There's an all-original '79 that's local that I'm resisting the urge to look up. It's among the first production series too (has no passenger's side mirror). If only I could convince the wife we need two RX-7s...

Looking never hurt anyone. And just tell her that's how it's gonna be... ;)

Unfortunately that's all I've been able to find - N/A blocks. I'm looking for a TurboII block so I don't have to worry about the auxilliary ports.

Ya, I wasn't sure if his extra block may have been from a tII, tho. It doesn't say in the ad, but he was going to port it so I was thinking maybe it's a tII block. Did you already talk to him?

Latest posts

Back